Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yielding at bus stops

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

This morning I was at a bus stop on the Stillorgan Road (standard bus shelter, the pavement split into a pedestrian lane and a cycle lane, with the cycle lane alongside the road). My bus came towards the bus stop and myself and a few other passengers moved towards the edge of the path (therefore standing on the red cycle lane) as the bus was pulling up.

At the same time, a cyclist was coming down the cycle lane at a good speed and instead of yielding to the bus passengers, he kept coming. In fact he deliberately cycled at me and shoulder bumped me. :mad:! I could understand if I just stepped out in front of him, but I was clearly signalling the bus and was about to board.

Now I'm aware that pedestrians should not be in the cycle lane normally, but the exception to this rule is at bus stops, when a bus is arriving at the bus stop. So am I right in thinking that the cyclist was in the wrong and that he should have yielded to both passengers getting on and off the bus? I presume that's why they painted a big yield sign and but tactile tiles down at the bus stop?

Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I can confirm it's a ridiculous place to put a cycle-lane. People shouldn't go riding into pedestrians though, no matter who is "in the right".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah he should have stopped alright, plenty of those idiots about. You won't find them here on the cycling forum tho, everyone here plays by the rules, wears helmets etc. ;)

Seriously though, don't worry about him, he'll plow through a red light one day and be removed from the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OK, well point one that cyclist was an a$$hole, there is no justification for cycling into pedestrians in any circumstances. Point two, it illustrates the inherent problem with cycle tracks, particularly those on a footpath. Cyclists should be integrated with road traffic, not pedestrians. Presumably if he was on the road he could have overtaken the bus and everyone would have been a lot safer.

On the technical legal note almost certainly the cyclist should have yielded, and legally has a basic duty of care irrespective, you can't deliberately cycle into a ped even if they are somewhere they shouldn't be. If you could post details of the exact location we could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

blorg wrote: »
    If you could post details of the exact location we could confirm.

Bus stop at the top of Booterstown Ave, heading into town.

Google Map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Along the N11 has to be one of the worst places to cycle in Dublin, between bus-stops, cycle tracks who's surface is torn to shreds and broken glass.

I generally just go on the road, or if i'm taking it easy, go on the cycle lane. No excuse for ploughing people down at a bus stop really. The only fair game imo are the joggers in the cycle lane:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

He must have prickitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Sean_K wrote: »
    The only fair game imo are the joggers in the cycle lane:p
    Yes I can understand cyclists annoyance at people walking in the cycle lane when there is a path right alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its probably just built up antipathy towards those setups in general. Very often when you are cycling through them people wander out in front of cyclists looking to see is a bus coming, or just seem to congregate there in general. So I'd say he was just "proving a point", not a very good one mind.

Like Blorg says, it just highlights the dangers associated with Dublin traffic layout. I used to cycle on the bus lane from the Esso station down to fosters avenue because:

a) Problem mentioned above
    b) The cycle lane is a joke, its an undulating strip of badly tarred track that is more often than not occupied by vans and cars.
    c) People coming out of their driveways cannot see either pedestrians or cyclists.

And my personal favourite, "wheely bin" day, when the neighbours put their bins in the cycle lane, makes for some dodging!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Its probably just built up antipathy towards those setups in general. Very often when you are cycling through them people wander out in front of cyclists looking to see is a bus coming, or just seem to congregate there in general.
    Yep, lounging around with ipods on walking all over the lanes, they should have far more barriers at them to separate people, but then you get arseholes leaning up against the barriers on the wrong side. On the N11 going into town at cournelscourt they are always standing right out on the road looking for buses. It is bad enough having people turning in who ignore you without having to look out for these people too, and having to look behind you as you swerve to avoid them.

I don't get the thrill of seeing a bus 5 second before everybody else...

I have also had buses pull up at the lights just before the foxrock church stop and allow people get off, stepping right onto the cycletrack.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    And my personal favourite, "wheely bin" day, when the neighbours put their bins in the cycle lane, makes for some dodging!
    The bin men are just as bad, the N11 is often littered with them after emptying, it is like they do it purposely out of spite since they are placed very accurately in the centre of the lane many times..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i dont know about that particular spot but there are two palces near me where there are cycle lanes at bus stops. In both cases there are yield sign painted on to the cycle lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

they are never very clear though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

paddyb wrote: »
    i dont know about that particular spot but there are two palces near me where there are cycle lanes at bus stops. In both cases there are yield sign painted on to the cycle lane

There are sometimes yield signs. It depends on the exact formation of path/stop/cycle lane. In the case of the OP, he stated there was a yield sign so the cyclist was out of order here.

However, the yield is there so that if there is a bus at the stop then people can cross the cycle lane. It is not a yield so that people can stand in the lane, or walk around in the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, lounging around with ipods on walking all over the lanes, they should have far more barriers at them to separate people, but then you get arseholes leaning up against the barriers on the wrong side. On the N11 going into town at cournelscourt they are always standing right out on the road looking for buses. It is bad enough having people turning in who ignore you without having to look out for these people too, and having to look behind you as you swerve to avoid them.

I don't get the thrill of seeing a bus 5 second before everybody else...

I have also had buses pull up at the lights just before the foxrock church stop and allow people get off, stepping right onto the cycletrack.

The bin men are just as bad, the N11 is often littered with them after emptying, it is like they do it purposely out of spite since they are placed very accurately in the centre of the lane many times..

Yeah I know that bit. The worst is the new "merged" bus/cycle lanes opposite the galloping green pub. If a bus swerved in front of you, you're brown bread!

I normally slow down when I see a bus pulling in in front of me, or speed up when I see one just behind me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

irlrobins wrote: »
    Morning all,

This morning I was at a bus stop on the Stillorgan Road (standard bus shelter, the pavement split into a pedestrian lane and a cycle lane, with the cycle lane alongside the road). My bus came towards the bus stop and myself and a few other passengers moved towards the edge of the path (therefore standing on the red cycle lane) as the bus was pulling up.

I'm not defending the cyclist in anyway but would it have made much of a difference if you waited until he passed. I'm a bus user myself. When buses pull up to the stops in the city centre people seem to think that it'll drive off without them if they don't mill up around the doors of the bus like sheep and if this means blocking the whole path then fair enough. It's annoying enough when you're walking along the path. I'd imagine it'd be even more annoying if I was cycling on a cycle lane. It's still no excuse for the cyclist being a d**k though.

Advertisement