Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

web browsing analyser

• 22-07-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

i'm looking for some suggestions on a program that will monitor web usage within a small company (5 end users 1 server).

i want to have the following.

• free if possible.
    • limit access only to certain sites ie ones they should use.
    • block everything else.
    • have times where the internet will be open ie during lunch time or outside business hours.
    • print out logs of accessed sites and time spent on them
    websense was a name thrown to me but that seems to be overkill for such a small company.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A decent router/firewall will be able to do all of this for you. For example my ddwrt flashed linksys router can limit the time for external internet usage, block sites or only limit certain ones and even list all activity.

But the chances the stuff you have that can do that is slim.

Surf control from Websense is about the only thing i know of that will do everything you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Would smoothwall do all this?

Read here for configuring squid.

Not 100% if it will print out logs of accessed sites and time spent on them but I'm certain it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Use smoothwall express with the dansguardian mod all free.

You can access danguardian access log through winscp and examine it in the like of excel.

It will also provide virus scanning for emails and sites.

Truly an excellent system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Clark Connect will do all of this. It utilises Dans Guardian for the filtering. All you need is an old PC with 2 network cards in it. It's install and forget. You access everything through your web browser.

Advertisement