Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Car..

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm looking to get a new (second hand) car.. I've not been driving for a few months and likely to pick one up in the next while.

I'm looking for something under 5k range but preferably a new as model as possible.

Been looking at the Panda a fair bit anyone have a view on them ?

I'll prob be doing alot of city driving but also a prob be doing a 200 + mile stint 4 times a month so want something confortable and fuel effecient

Anyone got any ideas ? Also is it better to wait till January to pick up a car as alot of people change over the new year ?

Please bear in mind I really don't know much about cars, I'll be 25 soon so a cheap insurance group would be helpfull and I don't care if it won't go over 80mph.

Anyone got any sugestions ?

Thanks

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Paulw0t wrote: »
    Been looking at the Panda a fair bit?
    Would you prefer a smallish car then? Any preferences you specify would help to narrow things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What ever you do, don't touch the Accent, especially one for that price with that many miles!!!! I'd recommend a fiesta, cheap, reliable, good spec for the money and there's plenty of them about.
    As for the rover, run a mile, the front bumper's colour is off with the rest of the car, there's a smell of a crash off that one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

git yourself a nice astra. Should be able to pick up a nice 02 for about 4200.
    I wouldnt touch an accent either. Hateable little yokes. There are lots of options though in your price range, depending on saloon or hatch, what are your requirements, do you want some oomph or is reliability priority one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

how bout this ?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=61512

Saves you the hastle of changing gear, so its the bizz in the city.
    You can also drive it in manual mode which it cool on the open road.

Its great for new drivers as you can concentrate on not crashing rather than changing gear !

And to top it off its very fuel efficient.

• Advertisement

Oh, forgot to mention, the pandas are supposed to be a great little cars, a friend of mine has an 03 diesel version and he swears by it, never missed a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was going to say you'd not get a Panda 1.1 Active even for 5K but it seems that the fall in the price of a new one has meant theres quite a range of 2004 models available for under 5 grand - even 1.2s.

They're extremely solid cars, the Fiat reputation means nothing on them, drive very well, more accomodating for larger/taller people than any similarly sized car due to the height/seating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wow, they have come down a lot in price recently. Either this person really needs the sale or he's a student who's recently moved to germany and wants you to transfer your money via western union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wow, they have come down a lot in price recently. Either this person really needs the sale or he's a student who's recently moved to germany and wants you to transfer your money via western union.

Theres an 04 in a dealer for 2,999 listed - I'm sure it'd go for less. Very high mileage though.

Same car brand new is now 10,995 delivered and road tax half that of an older one, thats what would have hit the resale. That and Fiats depreciate like nothing else due to their (now incorrect) reputation...

Yeah, maybe i jumped the gun in making that assumption. I definitely think the panda is a runner all the same.

Advertisement