Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaigners ordain Catholic women 'priests'

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

An activist group has ordained three American women, in the hope that the move will pressurize the Catholic Church into dropping its prohibition of female priests By Ciaran Farrell - 21/07/08
    6330.jpg

The ‘Roman Catholic Womenpriests’ held their ceremony at Protestant church, the Church of the Covenant, in Boston.
    The ceremony was quickly condemned by the Archdiocese of Boston. The Vatican in Rome has warned that women who participate in similar ordination ceremonies will face excommunication.
    The group claims the three American women involved - Gloria Carpeneto, Judy Lee, and Gabriella Velardi Ward - are simply answering a heartfelt call to serve the church as priests.
    A fourth woman, Mary Ann McCarthy Schoettly, was ordained as a deacon.

Article taken from here

Old man vatican isn't too happy. What do you think of having Female Priests?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Meh, I don't listen to religious instructors, of either sex. Doesn't make a difference to me!

It's the same stuff they'll be spouting, it doesn't make a difference whether or not it's from male or female lips, tbh.

God, I've got cynical in my old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It's most definitely in the post. Pigheads gonna make a bold prediction now. y the year 2026 women priests will outnumber men priests in Ireland. BUT they won't actually be proper priests. They'll just be ordinary Josephine soaps. Look at the numbers going to priest college every year in Maynooth. They're almost non existent at this stage.

Whats gonna happen when the current batch are all finished? Who's gonna replace them? Lay people thats who. And because more chicks go to mass then men it'll mean they'll get the gig.

The less priests the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well I'm not into Catholicism myself but a lot of my family are, or pretend to be. The church has treated women like dirt up until very very recently in this country, yet they seem to be some of it's more devout subjects. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Why cant they just have ministers and that? If people didnt have to be full priests and could have families and normal lives they might be more inclined... I'm pretty sure that was actually the way it happened once upon a time... before the church got greedy and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

RE: Windsocks question:

Stockholm Syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I am not a Catholic and never have been, but you can hardly patronise all Catholic women with the suggestion that they're suffering Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe they are committed because they deeply value the teachings of the church? Maybe they agree that women shouldn't be priests?

I have my own opinions on this subject but it is up to the committed Catholics to deal with it themselves the best way they can and the profound disrespect displayed in this thread irritates me. Hating the Catholic church is so passé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

If they don't like the rules for the catholic church maybe they should join another religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Why cant they just have ministers and that? If people didnt have to be full priests and could have families and normal lives they might be more inclined... I'm pretty sure that was actually the way it happened once upon a time... before the church got greedy and all

Think that's what most other religions have... well christian non catholic religions...

Had a female minister back in Scotland where I lived for last 20 odd years, married with kids, think she got divorced at one point too...!? Not much into religion to be honest but at least when she spoke you knew she might have actually experienced what everyone else did...!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Why can't they just give nuns more power...like the male version of a priest, so they can say mass and stuff. A bit like a deacon. I'm not saying that they couldn't be priests either, but surely they could get some kinda proper role.

I just don't get why priests can't get married. I know it's something to do with land being inherited by the church. But seriously, surely married priests of either sex would be of benefit to our society.

It's all very well and good to say to join another religious group if you don't agree with the rules, but if you believe strongly in Catholicism, and feel that maybe the powers that be aren't doing what's best for the church, why shouldn't you speak out and question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Yes you're right....

"Celibacy has no theological foundation and came to pass in 1066 due to the fact that when priests died, their sons inherited their property as opposed to the Church. It was a rule brought about by man, not by God. It is neither a sin nor a crime to marry"

Sorry I can't actually say where that quote is from, it's from an essay I did years ago and it's still saved on the computer. However I'm sure it's still true!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

amz5 wrote: »
    It's all very well and good to say to join another religious group if you don't agree with the rules, but if you believe strongly in Catholicism, and feel that maybe the powers that be aren't doing what's best for the church, why shouldn't you speak out and question?

If you are questioning fundamental principles of your religion then you cant really call yourself a Catholic.

If the Catholic church do a turnabout now on women preists after so many years they will look fickle and like there just making stuff up as they go along (which they probably are). You cant just change your principles on something and still retain respect from people.

The Catholic church has had to make some changes recently in order to reach a wider audience. They seem to making up rules as they go along as it is anyway. Does anyone here think that there is a good reason for there not to be female priests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

panda100 wrote: »
    If you are questioning fundamental principles of your religion then you cant really call yourself a Catholic.

If the Catholic church do a turnabout now on women preists after so many years they will look fickle and like there just making stuff up as they go along (which they probably are). You cant just change your principles on something and still retain respect from people.

Vactican 2? Suddenly it was ok to eat meat on Fridays. And, women no longer convered their head in church.

I think part of being a thinking, aware and commited member of any religion is to examine and question all the principles - yes, there is the big leap that we call 'faith' still left to be made, but you should know what you're jumping over/into.

There's lots of compassionate, knowledgeable, articulate women out there that would make great priests - i think the real issue is not the gender, but the potential of female priests having children. It's easier to turn a blind eye when male priests are procreating.

Could the catholic church afford to support priests (male and female) and their partners/children? With the fall in mass attendance in Irish parishes, there's less money going into the collection plate, and there's only so much land that can be sold off to developers.

edit to add: btw, i see no problems myself with female priests...i'm just devil's advocating.

cuckoo wrote: »
    i think the real issue is not the gender, but the potential of female priests having children. It's easier to turn a blind eye when male priests are procreating.

Could the catholic church afford to support priests (male and female) and their partners/children?

Does the church financially support male priests' offspring at present? If it doesn't then why would it be expected to support a womans?

Also, just wondering how the Protestant church manages to support Vicars and their families?

Advertisement