Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Side Mirror :(

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Had a run in with a beamer today and we both decided to destroy each other rightside mirrors. I made him swap details and the usual rigmaroll. Mine will prolly need to have the whole unit replaced. The question is, what should I do from here?

[given rough quotes from E290 to E350 to repair]

1) Just pay the damn cash
    2) Claim on my insurance
    3) Claim on his insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Who's fault was it?

If the quote is that low I'd pay the cash (unless it wasn't my fault!) rather than claim on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

What is the excess on your insurance?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If ye can agree to it, head to a scrappy. Get em cheap there. Easy to replace if their manual, not too sure about electric ones, assuming all the wires and connections are ok, it shouldnt be too much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aidanco

I would pay cash if you go through insurance it' s still a claim which means you are listed for 5 years as having claimed (even though it's a small sum) however unless he was addmitting liability you don't have to worry about that what were the circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

[given rough quotes from E290 to E350 to repair]

Christ on a bike, are they that expensive to repair? A coach passing me last week had a strip of window insulation hanging off it, which broke my driver's side mirror. I had no idea it was going to be that expensive to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, are they that expensive to repair? A coach passing me last week had a strip of window insulation hanging off it, which broke my driver's side mirror. I had no idea it was going to be that expensive to replace.

Electric heated mirrors always costs a bomb.
    Replacing with non electric non heated can save a good bit.

craichoe wrote: »
    Electric heated mirrors always costs a bomb.
    Replacing with non electric non heated can save a good bit.

The mirror itself is intact, but the casing is cracked - hopefully I'll just be able to replace the casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What car is it? Is the mirror painted?

Anan1 wrote: »
    What car is it? Is the mirror painted?

06 Opel Tigra, and yes, the mirror is body-coloured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

No he didnt claim any liability. He'd be a fool if he did. This is what annoys me about insurance claims. "Oh you'll loose your no-claims bonus", but whats the point of having insurance if ya don't use it!

But for the amount that it is I may end up going cash and be done with it. Its a heated electric so that adds to the potential cost I guess. I've the backplate and the undercase, hopefully some strong glue will sort that. My worry is that the motor might have taken a knock.

Oh the joys of motoring....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Why use the insurance, for €350? It'll cost you more for claiming in the long run, considering the excess and future premiums.

If you can claim on his.........great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Scottie99 wrote: »
    If you can claim on his.........great!

Legal fees? Plus of course he will do same claiming against mine, so would that impact the above premiums and such n such?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alot of cars use the same mirror casing for the electric & non electric mirrors so if you could figure out if all your electrics are working, you could just order the mirror case or get a second hand one from any tigra. You will have the expense of painting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Legal fees? Plus of course he will do same claiming against mine, so would that impact the above premiums and such n such?

Ok so it was no ones fault "50-50"

Then he should just pay cash

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

You really need to know if he will be claiming against your insurance, if there's a good chance his claim would be successful, you could be better off just giving him cash.

If it looks like a 50 / 50 thing you should both just agree to pay your own expenses and leave it at that. (or both pay 50% of the total)

If you both think the insurance companies might decide it's 60 / 40 one of you could pay some of the others expense, simply to avoid the cost / hassle of going through that process.

NB do not admit any liability.

Otherwise you claim against him, he claims against you and the insurers will decide. (regardless of the outcome you can be sure that they will do ok out of it)

Re: "whats the point of having insurance"

3rd party insurance is so you don't lose your house if you maim someone
    comprehensive is so you don't lose your job is you total your car

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Honey-ec wrote: »

Part of the expense is that of priming and painting the mirror casing. Often the casing is supplied 'naked' (just black plastic) which needs to be primed, painted and clear-coated to match the colour of the car. Metallic paint will add to the cost as will the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If both parties dont think their liable , then the best solution is look after your own damage .

It definately would'nt be worth while putting it through the insurance if you have a full bonus

Advertisement