Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit a Pedestrian - No remorse

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Another one.

This morning while coming into work down along the canal from harolds cross to portabello I hit a pedestrian, she stepped out from in front of a jeep right into the cycle path i was only about two maybe three metres from her by the time i saw her and travelling at quite a speed, I shouted and broke hard but she was wearing earphones and didnt look in the direction the cycle traffic was coming from so i hit her quite hard.

My front wheel is buckled my front light is smashed, the hood on my brake rear de-railer lever is smashed i have cuts and bruises down my leg.

Despite me coming over the top of the bike the other pedestrians cared not a jot for my well being in fact two of them began to give me abuse as if it was my fault, which only served to further rally my anger.

So i have two points really, firstly we hear talk a lot about cycle safety and obeying the rules of the road but in any of the accidents i have been involved in it is others who should obey the rules not me, clearly this pedestrian doesn't know the safe cross code (i thought we all learned it in school), i have previously narrowly escaped accidents when other pedestrians have done the same and also motorbikes pulling into cycle lanes in front of me not even caring if i was coming along on the line they swerved into.

And secondly as the title says I feel absolutely no remorse she did get hit quite hard as I was travelling at quite a speed but it was her fault and I got hurt plus damaged my bike, should I feel sorry for her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

As a human being, I'd imagine you'd feel at least slightly sorry for her. She got walloped at speed by a bike, probably scared the **** out of her and you.

It does sound like it was her fault, although frankly, you should be aware that this can happen and not be travelling at such a speed that you can't stop if needs be.

Anyway, were you able to talk to her and sort out contact details ? Was she injured, ambo called ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Rob_l wrote: »
    I feel absolutely no remorse she did get hit quite hard as I was travelling at quite a speed but it was her fault and I got hurt plus damaged my bike, should I feel sorry for her?

I hope you are ok yourself... and the bike. I wouldn't be happy to have hurt someone like that, but I can see where you are coming from. I hope she learnt something from it.

Take it easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I don't believe you should feel any guilt as it was her fault, but I do think you can feel sorry for her if she has been hurt. I f she just hopped up and was none the worse for it then I wouldn't give her another thought.

Were there (impartial) witnesses, were details exchanged, is she going ot pay for bike repairs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

And if you hit her in a car she'd be dead. If you were going too fast to slow down that's not good. I can see your troubles as stupid pedestrians do stupid things all of the time when I am driving, but its live and let live, not live and let die!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Verb wrote: »
    As a human being, I'd imagine you'd feel at least slightly sorry for her. She got walloped at speed by a bike, probably scared the **** out of her and you.

It does sound like it was her fault, although frankly, you should be aware that this can happen and not be travelling at such a speed that you can't stop if needs be.

Anyway, were you able to talk to her and sort out contact details ? Was she injured, ambo called ?

As another human no I wasn't, other people stopped to look after her then proceeded to give out to me claiming it was my fault one gent quietly to me agreed it wasn't my fault but everyone else wanted to blame me. its not that I couldn't stop it was that it was so sudden she stepped out from in front of a vehicle, there was no possible way to stop the bike had i been travelling slower i would have still hit her just not as bad

• Advertisement

dub_skav wrote: »
    I don't believe you should feel any guilt as it was her fault, but I do think you can feel sorry for her if she has been hurt. I f she just hopped up and was none the worse for it then I wouldn't give her another thought.

Were there (impartial) witnesses, were details exchanged, is she going ot pay for bike repairs?

I wanted to call the garda but seeing as no one wanted to do this but instead give me abuse I left after five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think you can feel regret that an accident happened without aportioning blame. Saying you don't have remorse sounds very harsh, clearly you would have avoided her if it was possible to do so.

Yes, it was clearly her fault, and I would have felt the same, especially if passers-by were blaming me! Were you hurt? Was she? I would try to get something out of her to cover damage to your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

should I feel sorry for her?

I wouldn't. She should count herself lucky it wasn't a motorbike/bus/truck/car that hit her.

We seem to have this very relaxed attitude in this country towards pedestrians walking on roads when there's traffic about. I see it every day on the way to and from work. Just yesterday evening on the way home I seen a woman nearly get killed by running out from behind a van. She was just too lazy to use the pedestrian lights. I'm sure she got a shock but come on for fùck sake, have some god damn common sense. The vehicle on the road has the right of way unless they is traffic/pedestrian lights that say other wise.

As for the argument of speed and not stopping fast enough, if it was a motorised vehicle, there was probably no chance of them stopping either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Sorry to hear about that, hope you got her details.

I've had some near misses myself similar to your situation - it really doesn't matter what speed you're going at if a pedestrian steps out, they give you no chance whatsoever to brake in time. The only thing you can do is reduce speed when going through high-risk pedestri-lemming areas (Ranelagh for me) and pray you see them in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

remorse? no, that's for someone who was in the wrong (which you say you weren't and i'm happy enough to take your word for it - i see lemmings everyday).

human compassion? yes, though it might take have to wait for the anger to pass before it can surface. we cyclists a re a simple breed and really only capable of one strong emotion at a time.

did you exchange details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    We seem to have this very relaxed attitude in this country towards pedestrians walking on roads when there's traffic about. I see it every day on the way to and from work.

Yes, people also don't tend to judge speed of cyclists very well. They think you are only pottering along, when you might be going over 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I wanted to call the garda but seeing as no one wanted to do this but instead give me abuse I left after five minutes

Perhaps your not feeling sorry for her as it seems everyone ganged up on you after the crash, people walking in cycle paths seems to be an epidimic in this city.
    I'd be gratefull that neither of you wound up in hostiptal.
    Though I do take the stand point that she was at fault. And i most probably would be enraged if everyone else started blaming me for a crash that was plainly not my fault.
    Stay safe.

Bob

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sounds like she was entirely at fault. Too many pedestrians only look out for cars. I wouldn't be crowing about having 'no remorse' though. If she had been killed or seriously injured, even it she was at fault, would you still be saying the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

As a cyclist you see people crossing in front of buses and vans all the time. I tend to slow if I cant see and the traffic is stopped. Hopefully this girl learns a lesson and you have too. If the traffic is stopped be more careful - idiots abound. I mean at the end of the day you were hurt too and will have to pay for the damage to the bike yourself. Im sure if you could have avoided the accident you woud have.

Sorry to hear about that, hope you got her details.

I've had some near misses myself similar to your situation - it really doesn't matter what speed you're going at if a pedestrian steps out, they give you no chance whatsoever to brake in time. The only thing you can do is reduce speed when going through high-risk pedestri-lemming areas (Ranelagh for me) and pray you see them in time.

I was travelling down along the canal which is a very busy designated cycle lane so it is not as if she shouldn't be aware cyclists use this route, and as i have said she stepped straight into my line and did not even glance to see if anything was coming she was happy that as the motor traffic was stopped she could continue walking were she liked( i dont think she will make this mistake again) she also couldn't hear my desperate last second shouts as i seen her as she was wearing earphones.

I didn't get details as its not like she was insured and other pedestrians were shouting at me, I was hurt and getting increasingly angry so i left. ( On a side note what is the legal view on me trying to claim for damages done to the bike i wont be this time but am wondering what view the law would take of the incident)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Sorry to hear it. Very similar thing happened me along the same stretch a few years back. My initial reaction was to go apesh!t but after a minute I ensured the girl in question was ok and carried on. I was lucky I didn't damage my bike or myself other than some bumps and scrapes.

A bus very nearly evacuated some passengers into my (cycle)path this morning, stuck some new brake blocks on last night and was glad of them!

Unfortunately it's gonna happen, peds and cyclists are the most vulnerable road users but also the least accountable when they break the rules of the road, this can sometimes lead to them doing stupid things. All you can do as a cyclist is be observant and responsible and hope the idiots eventually fall foul of evolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"Everyone makes mistakes, thats why they put erasers on pencils"

I would feel bad if she were hurt, as others have mentioned. And to single out one mindless pedestrian is wrong, it is a problem with the city in general. She should have crossed at a pedestrian crossing, not between traffic, but this is probably something she and millions others do every day without incident.

Hope your cuts heal ok and no permanent damage to your person was done.

Also, the comment about you going too fast was ridiculous, you were well inside the limit and if someone steps out right in front of you, after the initial shock subsides you have hardly anytime to react without endangering yourself further and skidding dangerously over the road. And he is not a car, such comparisons are inane. If he was a bus, a plane, a train or even superman, then she would be dead, so it makes no sense to draw such comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If he was a bus, a plane, a train or even superman, then she would be dead, so it makes no sense to draw such comparisons.

Ah now come one, Superman wouldn't have killed her, he's Superman!

In all seriousness, I think that it's possibly the adrenelin and shock is talking when you say you have no remorse, coupled with the (very bad IMO) reaction from the other onlookers, but I think you'd feel differently if the lady was hurt badly -it's only human after all.

Again, with anyone that brings up the speed thing, I think it's fair to say that there was nothing you could do -you shouldn't go creeping along at walking pace just because some idiot could come out in front of you.

I'm sorry to hear you're banged up, but glad you're not seriously hurt. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do at this stage about getting repairs paid for as you didn't get the womans details and it sounds like there were no witnesses that would back you up (a sad state of affairs I feel)

Ok, but the evil superman who drank hard and flicked peanuts at bars would have!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its pretty crappy to have a bunch of people ganging up on someone who has just been in a nasty accident regardless of who they perceived is at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Lucky for her, you were on a bike not car
    Lucky for you, you were on a bike not car

Someone mentioned human somewhere on the thread...yup they do stupid things but we are all in it together.

I was travelling down along the canal which is a very busy designated cycle lane so it is not as if she shouldn't be aware cyclists use this route, and as i have said she stepped straight into my line and did not even glance to see if anything was coming she was happy that as the motor traffic was stopped she could continue walking were she liked( i dont think she will make this mistake again) she also couldn't hear my desperate last second shouts as i seen her as she was wearing earphones.

I didn't get details as its not like she was insured and other pedestrians were shouting at me, I was hurt and getting increasingly angry so i left. ( On a side note what is the legal view on me trying to claim for damages done to the bike i wont be this time but am wondering what view the law would take of the incident)

I didn't mean what I said as a criticism at all, if that's how you read it. Trust me, I've had plenty of experience with pedestrians looking for cars and seeing right through me! I've been going along the same road every day for the past 8 months and usually bomb along it myself so can understand your situation completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

What were the injuries that she had after it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think it's both parties fault in this case. It's her fault for not checking to see if the cycle lane was clear, but equally it's your fault for not observing the traffic conditions around you and adjusting your speed accordingly. Whenever traffic is stopped beside me I always slow down because I know that pedistrians are stupid and will assume that once traffic is stopped it's safe to cross the road. I would say it's more your fault than her fault.

What would the point of calling the gards be?

Again, with anyone that brings up the speed thing, I think it's fair to say that there was nothing you could do -you shouldn't go creeping along at walking pace just because some idiot could come out in front of you.

Yes you should.

penexpers wrote: »
    What would the point of calling the gards be?

Getting the accident officially noted and witnesses information taken in case of a claim?

But he was cycling on a road, he is entitled to travel within the speed limit. It is her responsibility to cross at a suitable location, i.e. the lights and not between cars. If a car was travelling at 30 kph and someone ran out onto the road would everyone be blaming the driver (ok, here goes the car thing again, but im using it to highlight the fact it is a road and not whether she would have survived or not).

I don't think he is obliged to crawl around town, this again is just demoting cyclists. Surely you should apply this to cars as well. If pedestrians are unable to make rational decisions, we should change the speed limits to 10 kph?

But he was cycling on a road, he is entitled to travel within the speed limit. It is her responsibility to cross at a suitable location, i.e. the lights and not between cars. If a car was travelling at 30 kph and someone ran out onto the road would everyone be blaming the driver (ok, here goes the car thing again, but im using it to highlight the fact it is a road and not whether she would have survived or not).

I don't think he is obliged to crawl around town, this again is just demoting cyclists. Surely you should apply this to cars as well. If pedestrians are unable to make rational decisions, we should change the speed limits to 10 kph?

Yes everyone would be blaming the driver (including me). If you drive or cycle you have a duty of care towards other road users (including pedestrians). If you travel at a speed that is unsuited to the conditions then you are not exercising that duty of care.

In the case of the driver, the law would see the driver as being at fault. I really don't see why it should be different for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

penexpers wrote: »
    I think it's both parties fault in this case. It's her fault for not checking to see if the cycle lane was clear, but equally it's your fault for not observing the traffic conditions around you and adjusting your speed accordingly.

This is correct. You are supposed to anticipate potential hazards - you should see the jeep and think "what if someone steps out from behind it?"

I'd say if it went to court you'd get 70% of the blame.

• Advertisement

I'd agree there - cyclists shouldn't be obliged to go below the legal speed limit...I'd just tend to in certain circumstances for my own safety rather than anyone else's.

Advertisement