Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit a Pedestrian - No remorse

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Wow - wouldn't have thought so many people would have such bleeding hearts for someone who crosses the road with earphones in without checking for approaching traffic. I didn't see what happened so I have to take the OPs version of it & not second guess that he was going too fast or carelessly.

I say she deserved her smack and it'll learn her better than the safe-cross code ever did - it's not like she's dead or crippled. Not only do I think you shouldn't feel guilty, I think if you had've managed to avoid her you should've run back and thrown your bike at her! (OK, that last bit may have been a joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

t-ha wrote: »
    Not only do I think you shouldn't feel guilty, I think if you had've managed to avoid her you should've run back and thrown your bike at her!
    :eek:

Think of the bike, man!

@monument- I would think "conditions" would include stopped cars where we all know pedestrians can and do pop out at any minute.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ped was mostly at fault here, but I also think we should take as many precautions as possible to avoid accidents even if they aren't our fault.

It's the same with cycling at speed too close to parked cars, if someone swings open a door you could be killed. Won't be your fault but you will still be dead so take preventative action (cycle a safe distance away, or if this is not possible, moderate your speed.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

The thread title has had me singing St. Anger to myself for the last two days. And the other metallica tune which also has "No Remorse" in the lyrics (Damage Inc??).

I'm only posting this because I feel I have to post something in this thread since everyone else is. But everyone has already said everything better than I could.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

blorg wrote: »
    @monument- I would think "conditions" would include stopped cars where we all know pedestrians can and do pop out at any minute.

Sorry, yes I would agree.

I had missread the opening post as saying "she stepped out (from in front of a jeep) right into the cycle path".

But I'd actually say a ped was acting more in the wrong if they had been trying to cross behind a tall vehicle like a jeep.
    blorg wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think the ped was mostly at fault here, but I also think we should take as many precautions as possible to avoid accidents even if they aren't our fault.

Yes, I do agree with you here too, and it is generally how I cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You know Rob, I've been cycling 100km a week (avg), 10 months a year, in cities, since 2004. Much of it has been on shared cycle ways. In that time, I have hit 0 pedestrians.
    As far as I can see, you've hit 2 pedestrians this year already.

It's possible you're unlucky, it's also possible that the way you're cycling is causing this to happen.

That my 2c anyway....

• Advertisement

The thread title has had me singing St. Anger to myself for the last two days.

Weird, I've been doing the same. Didn't cop why though.

Advertisement