Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Tom TMC in Ireland

• 22-07-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Apologies if this is an FAQ, I did a search but didn't find an answer:

does the Tom Tom Traffic Management Channel (TMC) function in Ireland ? My 730T searches for a station but finds nothing - but there is an option on it to force the device to listen to a specific frequency, so am wondering if there are any broadcasts that it can hook into ?

Thanks

Frank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭cython

Unfortunately no radio stations in Ireland (the republic anyway) broadcast TMC data, so you won't be able to use the traffic function. There are also no plans to implement it any time soon either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

it doesnt work in Ireland (at least South of the border as far as I know)
    BUT a tomtom rep told be they were gonna be releasing the tomtom HD Traffic service in Ireland later this year.
    Most of the newer models are compatible AFAIK (the 730T being one of them :D)
    hope that helps

franksm wrote: »
    Hi folks

Apologies if this is an FAQ, I did a search but didn't find an answer:

does the Tom Tom Traffic Management Channel (TMC) function in Ireland ? My 730T searches for a station but finds nothing - but there is an option on it to force the device to listen to a specific frequency, so am wondering if there are any broadcasts that it can hook into ?

Thanks

Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 3 edsil64

I think it's bizarre that in this country we can't get a decent traffic report after 9am in the morning or at the weekend. And any traffic reports that you do get are usually out of date by the time you hear the announcement. But sure that's another argument.

I just checked the TomTom website (5th Sep) for info about HD Traffic:

"Your HD Traffic subscription is valid in the Netherlands only."

and

"In the course of 2008 and 2009 HD Traffic will become available in other countries. But please be aware that the products you buy in the Netherlands only cover the Dutch motorways and secondary “N” roads."

So it looks like we'll be waiting for a long time soon before we get accurate Traffic reports in this country :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From my understanding, the non-traffic 'GO' versions still have support for TomTom Traffic (the service run over a mobile phone data connection). With this in mind, I can't see any reason to spend an extra 50 quid on a 'traffic' version which has RDS-TMC which may never work in Ireland, unless I'm missing something obvious?

Advertisement