Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might be moving to Sligo...

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

What's it like to live there. Any insights on the standard of life there, rents, social life etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Rap on knuckles, should have done a search first... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yeah, there are are a couple of other similar threads alright. If you need any other information though let us know, and one of us should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Enjoy your stay AB. Look for somewhere close to a beach, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Streedagh, Rosses Point. All beautiful areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

DenMan wrote: »
    Enjoy your stay AB. Look for somewhere close to a beach, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Streedagh, Rosses Point. All beautiful areas.

Definitely try and get somewhere near the beach...it'll probably be a bit pricey but worth it!! Apartments in Strandhill start around 750pm!

I like Sligo.. its more of an outdoorsy place than anything...horseriding.. surfing.. etc

Thanks guys, from Galway so yeah living by the sea would be great. Will have a look at Strandhill etc. Just doing my homework, not moving for definite as of yet but nice to get some positive feedback.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You poor poor thing!

You poor poor thing!

Pray tell.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ha its not that bad,but i wouldn't exactly recommend the place.But there are pros and cons for every place,what are you looking for out of the move?

Well it's a work driven decision but I've heard good things and I like the idea of trying out somewhere new for a while.

What I like in a place though would be friendly people, seaside, cool pubs and cafés and some good gigs to go to? Love night classes too so might check out what Sligo has in that respect. Have been studying sign language so might see if that's doable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

cool pubs and cafés and some good gigs to go to?

Er um, if you find any please let the rest of us know, cheers!
    Its a 1/5 the size of galway without the arties and hippies
    Cool Cafes no!?, gigs er NO!
    Cool pubs, fado fado!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That's it. I'm sick of the f*ckin Sligo bashing!

It doesn't help!

Good luck! I'm out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Gillie wrote: »

It doesn't help!

Good luck! I'm out...

Would you prefer if I let someone who after saying they are into cafes/gigs and is coming from a town with a gig culture move somewhere where there are no gigs?
    Just being honest with him/her, would you prefer that Aurora moved to sligo and hated it?

The truth is not bashing, in fact its the whole dont bash the town attidude that has helped the place slip into the boring kip it has become (thats bashing, just!)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Gillie wrote: »

It doesn't help!

Good luck! I'm out...

Gillie, Im with you... if ya have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oh dear. Crackin' welcome there eh? :o
    Well it's a work driven decision but I've heard good things and I like the idea of trying out somewhere new for a while.
    I moved here, and I love it.
    What I like in a place though would be friendly people,
    Generally, yes!
    seaside,
    Loads.
    cool pubs
    Plenty.
    and cafés
    Again, lots.
    and some good gigs to go to?
    Not great, but still, can't have it all eh?!
    Love night classes too so might check out what Sligo has in that respect. Have been studying sign language so might see if that's doable too.
    http://www.sligovec.ie/further/day-evening.html
    Plenty of others do courses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Excellent post sueme.

As for the Sligo bashing, well... it can be hard to be positive about the place you're living in when it's not where you want to be. But looking on the bright side, and taking advantage of what IS there can help you like where you are for the moment and help you be happier in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

i would say strandhill is a pretty cool spot.nice scenery,plenty of pubs,cafes.and all around friendly people.as for gigs i think you would have to head into town for that.it aint great but its not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Strandhill is very in demand and can be very expensive. Same for Rosses Point. Ballysadare or Collooney are fairly nice and not as dear and only a few minutes from the seaside. The town itself is good, but the center of town has practically no parking for residents and the suburbs are not very well served by public transport. Taxis are very expensive. Sligo Weekender (local rag) did a survey last year doing comparison nights out with Dublin, Galway, Cork, Limerick etc. It was generally cheaper but a 10 minute taxi fare in Sligo was the worst in the country.
    Activity wise there's shooting, horse riding, scuba diving, surfing, fishing etc. What you'd expect in a rural/coastal location. No karting, paintballing of bowling though.
    Nightlife is decent on a Saturday but dead during the week. Lively when the students are about, if that's your bag. Gigs are few and far between. Live music in general is very poor. Hawkswell theatre is decent but in financial difficulty at the moment. Some nice restaurants and cafés. Best (imo) are Montmartre, Coach Lane, Caesars and Dragon House.
    I.T. and VEC have loads of courses in the evenings.
    Shopping is decent with many of the big chains (Hilfigger, Next, River Island, T.K. Maxx, Curry's, Homebase, Zavvi (Virgin), etc.
    Scenary is excellent. Infrastructure less so. That's about it really.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Aurora

Sligo is an absolutely beautiful county. There are some amazing wild sandy beaches for walking and exploring. Benbulbin, Probably the most visually stunning mountain in Ireland overlooks the town. If you enjoy the outdoors then your sorted and almost any activity you care to name can be done.

Sligo town is quite old, a lot of the centre is in parrallel and perpendicular streets originating from the garrison era I think. The cenre is about one half to two/thirds as big as Galway centre although Galways population would be a lot higher. I love to spend saturday pottering around the pedestrian areas and along the river having a cup of coffee browsing some of the shops etc. There has been traditionally a lot of drapery shops in the town and some are excellent. Also a good tradition of Arts in Sligo. The people are friendly and quick witted and are proud to be Sligonians generally and youll find some great characters.

Traffic isnt really a problem relative to Galway City youre looking at getting to work in 20 mins if you live within 10 miles of the town.

I tend to go out in Strandhill when home and its always a bit of Craic.
    Some posters were saying the club scene is poor or a one nighter cant comment on that but I reckon if your prepared to look around a bit youll find theres always something interesting going on.

If I could move back there in the morning Id do it immediately hand on heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Aurora

Sligo is an absolutely beautiful county. There are some amazing wild sandy beaches for walking and exploring. Benbulbin, Probably the most visually stunning mountain in Ireland overlooks the town. If you enjoy the outdoors then your sorted and almost any activity you care to name can be done.

Sligo town is quite old, a lot of the centre is in parrallel and perpendicular streets originating from the garrison era I think. The cenre is about one half to two/thirds as big as Galway centre although Galways population would be a lot higher. I love to spend saturday pottering around the pedestrian areas and along the river having a cup of coffee browsing some of the shops etc. There has been traditionally a lot of drapery shops in the town and some are excellent. Also a good tradition of Arts in Sligo. The people are friendly and quick witted and are proud to be Sligonians generally and youll find some great characters.

Traffic isnt really a problem relative to Galway City youre looking at getting to work in 20 mins if you live within 10 miles of the town.

I tend to go out in Strandhill when home and its always a bit of Craic.
    Some posters were saying the club scene is poor or a one nighter cant comment on that but I reckon if your prepared to look around a bit youll find theres always something interesting going on.

If I could move back there in the morning Id do it immediately hand on heart.

I second that. I moved to Co. Sligo 9 month ago, and haven't regretted it one bit. Surfing, horseriding, beautifull nature and nice,( a bit mental) local pubs..No way I am leaving here even though I have a job that bores the hell out of me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like Sligo. Here 4 (or is it 5) years, met a lot of nice people.. haven't made too many friends, but I'd friends here before I moved, so that's my own laziness. Beautiful scenery, good pubs, some very good restaurants (& a lot of average ones too!), a very laid back way of life & I've never had any problems or troubles here.. well, apart from the ones I invited on myself!

All in all, it's a nice corner of the world.. the only downside is that here, the economy is at least 2-3 years behind most of the rest of the country in terms of development when things are good and about 6 months ahead of the rest when things go belly up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I dont know what town some of ye are living in. There is plenty of Live music. Fureys have live bands about 4 nights a week. Shoots has one or two a week. The Clarence has regular live gigs too.

Advertisement