Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put dog in kennels or leave at home alone?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Gf's mum has a mini Yorkshire terrier. Loves company and attention, is rarely left alone for more than a few hours. He can be a bit skittish with new people, but he's well used to me by now.

He's a bit unsettled as the family have just moved house, and also there was a recent death in the family of the person who mainly took care of him. I came into the house alone last week while everyone else was out, he just glanced at me and went running around the house like a lunatic looking for the rest of the family.

Gf + her mum are going on hols for a few days in September. I had said I'd take care of the dog if they brought him up to Dublin while they're away. I'm having second thoughts now:- I'll be out at work all day, so he'll be at home on his own in a strange house (he's been there briefly twice before) for 9 hours a day for 3 days in a row. Don't know if he's ever been on his own for 9 hours during the day. Don't want him to think he's being abandoned.

I'm wondering would he be better off in a kennels for 4/5 days with strangers or left at home on his own for 3 days. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Personally i dont think very small dogs do well in kennels. Bigger breeds tend be hardier and fair better in kennels than a yorkie would. Id keep her at home, i think 3 days in a warm house with no other strange dogs barking etc will be fine. Its not a long time and she'll probably get more attention (from you in the evening) than she would for a whole day in a kennel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Well since all the kids are off school for the summer, could you get a neighbor to check in on him during the day? He'd probably manage fine on his own for those few days, but might give you peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Id also go with leaving him in your house. Safe,secure and with plenty of toys and water and maybe if he sleeps on a blanket in his own house bring that to for him to keep him happy and make him feel at home. As a poster above said,he wont have dogs barking and will get more attention from you when you get home. I think Glowing has a excellant idea to,im sure there is somebody you no that could pop in to make sure hes ok while your at work or if you work close to home pop in on your lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks folks, leaning towards leaving him at home. Unfortunately, there's no-one nearby I can get to check in on him, plus I work across the city so won't be able to get back at lunchtime.

Forgot to mention that he will almost definitely have to go to a kennels later in the year or early next year, as we're all heading away for a week or ten days. I was wondering if he went for a shorter period now would it give him a chance to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

MOH wrote: »
    I was wondering if he went for a shorter period now would it give him a chance to get used to it.

If it was me id do like a few practice nights in a kennels leading up to when you went away...say like a friday then collect him saturday and repeat the next week, if thats possible, so he knows you'll be back for him when you do leave for a longer period and it wont be as stressful...i think it might be a bit early now seeing as you mightnt be away until next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Another alternative to kennels would be home boarding - where he'd have more one on one attention and someone around all day.

Some of the people on this list on the Irishanimals site offer that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

If you go for the kennels, don't forget about the kennel cough vaccination. All kennels require it and it needs to be done a few weeks beforehand ... :-)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for all the replies folks. By a bizarre coincidence a friend from abroad could be coming to stay the same days I'm minding the dog, so looks like he'll have comapny after all.

But the kennels advice will prove useful again - I'd never heard of that vaccination, must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Im going on holiday in Sept for a week and im getting my son to come in a couple of times a day to walk, feed and clean the dogs. Oh and also to play with them. I have had mine in kennels a few times different places and have never been happy with any of them. One time my boxer injured his paw, fair enought things happen but they never told me so he was supposed to go home on meds, he got an infection only found out cos i brought him to the same vets they had. At another place they came back with kennel cough even though they had their vac.
    Also a few other small things so this time i have shortened my holiday for a week just not going to put them through that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

I'm in the process of visiting kennels in the Dublin, Kildare and Meath area and for the most part have not been happy with what I've seen. I would only recommend leaving a dog in a a kennel if you were going away overnight and only if you have checked it out yourself first. For a small dog the nicest ones I've seen so far were Irish Rosettes near Lusk and Kufinnka in Donadea. Don't touch Activecare in Dunboyne area or the Canine Country Club in Sallins. Both of these were dreary, dark and full of stench.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement