Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter??Please read before posting!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

kowloon wrote: »
    I will shoot mink on sight without hesistation, they have destroyed Irelands river banks and, ironically, animal rights activists are responsible for their release.

Just to slightly counteract this, although some misguided animal rights activists have released a lot of mink, they were not the first to do so and were not behind the majority of releases.

The first mink farm in this country was set up around 1950 or 51 and by the end of the 50s there was at least 40 separate farms around the country.
    A lot of these farms were amateur setups and a lot of the mink escaped and in a huge amount of cases these farms went under and instead of killing the remaining mink a lot of the farmers just let them go.

Afaik it wasn't until the mid 60s that a misguided animal rights group released mink from a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

gerky wrote: »
    Afaik it wasn't until the mid 60s that a misguided animal rights group released mink from a farm.

I stand corrected, It doesn't surprise me that I was wrong though. The delicious irony of the animal rights activists story is what makes it so tempting I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Maybe a sticky outlining different methods of dealing with stray/wild animals would help,

let everyone have there say then keep it locked and add ideas as necessary but keep it free from arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Haven't read the whole thread but heres an opinion

the name of the thread is animal and pet issues so its going to be people and their pets ye know dogs cats horses all those things that are about domestic animals and the like.
    the people that it is aimed at are those kind of animal loving people. If people are hunters (I fish myself) they need to take into account that these are the kind of people that will be here and any mention of killing animals might need to dealt with in a sensitive way.

By the same token this is NOT an anti-hunting thread it is about pets and other animals and their care. Hunters use dogs horses etc and would regard themselves as animal lovers they also have valuable knowledge that would be useful to people on the board. so hunting and anti hunting should be off the table that is a political or moral debate.

Users should be advised that discretion should be used if posting on a topic that is close to either the hunting and anti hunting/ animal rights issues as sometimes just stating opinions may cause offense and that respecting the opposing view of this debate is a requirement of the board.

< end of opinion >:D

Advertisement