Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Lunch in the City?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm going for lunch with my buddies in town later. Anyone know of a nice but straight forward nothing too fancy place to go?
    I'm thinking a mix between Amicus and Hillybillys or somewhere there abouts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Café Mexicana or any of the places down French Church St.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Check out the liberty grill on washington st, they do some tasty burgers, not too expensive and nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Energizeer wrote: »
    Amicus and Hillybillys.

I think the thing that comes closest to being a take away like hillbillys and also has a sit down place with a bit more class than maccy ds and the like is Subway :p Other than that, i'd go for puccinos or tribes if not amicus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Munching on a foot long Sub right now. Dribble......

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I second Amicus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Liberty Grill+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Had lunch in Amicus last week..yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Luigi Malones do a good lunch deal also. its like €10.90 and u also get a free soft drink/beer. Ribs and wings ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

where bouts is amicus

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Paul Street. Just directly opposite the main enterance to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Where the Gingerbread House used to be. It used to be down the side street but moved "down hill" slightly. Still a decent spot though and should suit Energizeer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Amicus is utter ****e, I really don't see why people like it, ditto Newport My recommendations are:

Market Lane (Wonderful food, great setting)
    Starvast (Best Asian food in Cork)
    Pizza d'Italia (Still the best pizza in cork)

...I really don't see why people like it, ditto Newport.

Yeah, ate in Newport once before, didn't like it at all! Others with me had the same sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

The Newport is dodgy enough alright. Starvast is great value with the lunch time buffet but you wouldn't eat there for the atmosphere or anything.

Where did OP go out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Amicus has nice food, but they really rushed me out of there on the few occasions I ate there for lunch. I know this doesn't matter much when you have an hour on a working day but at the weekend, having food at about 3pm it really p***ed me off.

They literally cleared the plates AS I lifted the last mouthful and then when we said we didn't want deserts, brought the bill about a minute later. They have done this every time I've eaten there. No mention of coffee or anything. Really rude.

Illkillya wrote: »
    The Newport is dodgy enough alright. Starvast is great value with the lunch time buffet but you wouldn't eat there for the atmosphere or anything.

Yeah the place is half empty most of the time which amazes me because they really have the best and most genuine chinese food in the city, not that muck you get in other places which is just some coloured goo, chicken and rice. Starvast actually cook real chinese food. Maybe Cork is too small a market for such a venture!

Yeah the place is half empty most of the time which amazes me because they really have the best and most genuine chinese food in the city, not that muck you get in other places which is just some coloured goo, chicken and rice. Starvast actually cook real chinese food. Maybe Cork is too small a market for such a venture!

I love proper Chinese food but have given up looking for it in Cork. It's never looked convincing to me but if it's that good I may give it a bash. Cork needs a restaurant that offers Dim Sum.

It has dim sum, I cant recommend the place enough. Even the table service is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Where is this Starvast place? I've only been to China Gold and Pearl River.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

down prince's st. opposite joyce's. Great spot, used to be called tao tao.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Kold, come up to Dublin again and I'll bring you to a really good restaurant that does dim sum :)

As far as I remember, Starvast only did wontons dim sum style. What else do they do? It's really good and tasty, but I don't know if I'd call it "genuine chinese food". TBH, I don't think you can get "genuine chinese food" anywhere but HK/China but hey that's my opinion.

I like Puccino's on Paul Street and Cafe Bar Deli for lunch. Has anyone tried that organic place on French Church Street? It looks fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Kold wrote: »
    Where did OP go out of interest?

I went to the Corner House I think it was called. Down by the bodega. Got myself a savage munch. It was a bit more fancy then I wanted but very nice and not a bad price. I went to Captain Americas yday and enjoyed that very much as well. Got a cheese burger with chips and free coke for e9.50.
    Thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Went to the Pavilion yesterday for food. It was lovely.
    just had an open sandwich and it was huge..i couldnt finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Anyone ever been to Scoozi's? Gone downhill a bit since its glory days of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Nutmeg is the name of the Organic place on French Church Street. The crowd that own Amicus own Nutmeg as well.

The only thing I like out of there is the Chicken Chow Mein.

I got a BLT Sandwich last week and it wasn’t nice at all. I could have made better at home and I am a crap cook. It cost something mad like €8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Anyone ever been to Scoozi's? Gone downhill a bit since its glory days of a few years ago.

yeah ands not good. Don't really like it at all

I like Scoozis, it's just the fact that it's pretty overpriced for simple, easy to make dishes.

• Advertisement

I like Scoozi's.

Since I don't go out for lunch that often, I don't mind paying over priced for food I like. Now, if I was eating out everyday day that would be a different story.

Advertisement