Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Lunch in the City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

It has dim sum, I cant recommend the place enough. Even the table service is excellent.

it is great and their takeaway is really good value. I've been eating there on and off for a few years and they always acknowledge me.

for a quick and cheap grab grub i like the wraps in falafals.... roast chicken and feta cheese and chilli sauce. mmmmmmm FIVE QUID.....

o briens can shove that where the sun dont shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patrick_micheal

cork munch in cork hit one of the chip shops and suport the small comuinity and than get a bottle of kick to keep you running. thats good munching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

all_smilz wrote: »
    for a quick and cheap grab grub i like the wraps in falafals.... roast chicken and feta cheese and chilli sauce. mmmmmmm FIVE QUID.....

o briens can shove that where the sun dont shine!

I second that! :) Got a sandwich in O'Briens today, few lumps of feta, some tomato, some cucumber and one lone piece of lettuce!€5.40. Nearly cried thinking of a stuffed to the brim pita out there with my name on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patrick_micheal

taram wrote: »
    I second that! :) Got a sandwich in O'Briens today, few lumps of feta, some tomato, some cucumber and one lone piece of lettuce!€5.40. Nearly cried thinking of a stuffed to the brim pita out there with my name on it :)

i third that what a place to eat at and open till three in the morning to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Where's this falafals establishment ye speak of?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Where's this falafals establishment ye speak of?!
    Down south main st, by fast al's. just across from the raven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Oh my God falafels. I can't wait to come home now :D I like Scoozis aswell. A friend and I used go there a lot and I thought it was reasonably enough priced. Never liked Amicus, then again I'm not one who goes to have a pose with my munch:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Oh, I forgot about Joup! in the English Market. Their Chicken Korma is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

taram wrote: »

Yes this place is unreal!
    e5 and you will be stuffed! The jellapopper peppers are a bit risky. The porcelain bus will be ridden. The asian dude or the guy with the long hair make the best. The chick does a good job but doesn't fill em up as much.
    It's messy stuff tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Amicus is utter ****e, I really don't see why people like it, ditto Newport My recommendations are:

Market Lane (Wonderful food, great setting)
    Starvast (Best Asian food in Cork)
    Pizza d'Italia (Still the best pizza in cork)

I know Cork ain't that big but where are these places? Never heard of them.

• Advertisement

Market Lane is on the lower end of Oliver Plunkett Street.
    Starvast is on the same street as Clancy's bar.
    Pizza d'Italia is on Grand Parade, next to the entrance to the English Market

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

puccinos are a rip off,subway ftw :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Clancys also does a very nice carvery lunch and sell soft drinks in cans which makes it even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ginos! Who in Gods name posted that Amicus was cheap??? It is in me hole, its normal to slightly above normal!

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ginos!

Muck.

castie wrote: »
    Clancys also does a very nice carvery lunch and sell soft drinks in cans which makes it even cheaper.

Agreed. Scotts do a good one also.

never really liked ginos myself i must say.

Anyone been to Hardwood?
    Its next to the Bierhaus. Bit pricey but the food is extremely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

bully's just off rory gallagher place is the job. steak and chips for 11 quid, steak sandwich for 6.50. cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Thanks for reminding me of Bully's, ate there about 4 years ago, loved it and then forgot it existed! I can't wait to get home for some proper food. American food is awful! Market Lane is pretty good, can't really go wrong.

Silversprings Hotel is really good too, a little bit out of the city but definitely worth a visit. Again, Barry's of Douglas do great food but not in the city!

Isaac's on McCurtain Street but they are very pricey, there's other places on McCurtain Street I've eaten in but just can't think of the names :(

Greenes is just behind Isaacs but its pricey too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'm going out for food tonight with a few friends and they've left it up to me to choose the restaurant...

What I want is quality food at a good price and be able to go along casually to as well (jeans and t-shirt type of thing).

Scoozis was the first place to come to mind but I'm not too pushed about it to be honest. It's a guide to what I'd like though!!!

Any suggestions to help me out here?

Rossini's???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fabio wrote: »
    I'm going out for food tonight with a few friends and they've left it up to me to choose the restaurant...

What I want is quality food at a good price and be able to go along casually to as well (jeans and t-shirt type of thing).

Scoozis was the first place to come to mind but I'm not too pushed about it to be honest. It's a guide to what I'd like though!!!

Rossini's???

Luigi Malones?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Fabio wrote: »

Rossini's???

Luigis or maybe Currans off north main street

Most of Luigi's food is premade so id avoid it tbh.

Currans is nice as well as Hardwood on popes quay.

Last time I was in Luigi Malones I was not impressed at all, it was dry and almost cold.

I'm kinda dying to try out Currans alright so we might give that a go.

Is Milano's any good or is it way too fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Milano's is great, I think. But mostly pizza. They do a few salads and pastas too, but their pizzas are many and varied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

Currans is hit and miss. One day ul get lovely food and great service, the next ul get muck thrown at ya. It's weird like that! Ginos was great until that French manager took over, <snip></snip> Fan of the newport here, never had a bad experience! Scoozis ain't bad either! Hardwood is nice but ridiculously overpriced. Soho is nice and reasonable. Fans of East Village will love it, same owners therefore same menu. Captain Americas is my new baby, loving it and good prices! Liberty Grill is great also. Bullys is a great spot anc cheap as chips to boot. Eco in Douglas is lovely, bit claustrophobic though and ul have to book well in advance! Il Padrino on Cook Street as well is worth a look. Good Italian food.

Keeping the buzz going on here haha!

How about Castelli's on the same street Clancy's is on? I liked the menu though variety didn't seem a forte at all though prices are reasonable...€14.95 for a carbonara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I like Castelli's too, for some reason I thought it was shut down though. Must try it soon.

• Advertisement

Well we ended up going to Currans in the end and I wasn't disappointed though not overly impressed either.

The place itself is fantastic with all the salvaged stuff in there and the atmosphere is good. The food was good too but I felt the burger I got was a bit covered in onion which diluted the flavour of the beef.

We weren't rushed in there at all, could talk forever without feeling like we needed to move on. The prices are reasonable too..the biggest burger being about €15.

Next place I go though will be Castelli's.

Advertisement