Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VisCom

Options
  • 22-07-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Does anyone here do Viscom in DIT?...If so!- What's it like?...What are the hours like? Hope someone can shine some light on the subject! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

NCAD! and I love it! To be studying vis com anywhere is the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

:pac:Really??... so what year are you in?... I can't wait to start!... What do you and don't you like about it?

Sorry, like a million questions here!:confused:...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

i did vis comm in dit, the hours are pretty much full time in first and second yr, something like 2 half days and the rest in studio and classes. third yr is much more self directed but still a lot of group work so you have quite a bit of contact. Fourth year is pretty much completely down to you as all projects are personal and you meet with lecturer on one to one basis- you could be in college for a half an hour or hang around working in studio all day, its your choice!
    the course is really broad but your main subjects will be illustration, digital media, photography, design for print, typography etc. you'll end up mixing it all up for your final projects though! theres also the opportunity to use the fint art print studio in Portland Row, Im not sure if its still a core part of first yr but if thats something your really interested in it should be available. if you come from an art background you might enjoy that part as its very hands on.
    what you get out of the course is completely down to you as most of your learning will take the form of your interests...in my year there was people who ended up going into full time photography, motion graphics, web design, illustration and print design. The truth is nobody is amazing at all of them but you should find your niche. in the first two years the lecturers will kinda hold ya by the hand but after its up to you to come to them if you want instruction.
    its pretty good for trips too, over my 4 years there was trips to tunisia, morocco, prague, china and london! all working trips (amongst other things :)
    the best piece of advice i can give is, dont expect to learn everything you need in college, sure go travel in the summers but it wouldnt be a bad idea to do work experience for a few weeks, it'll make things a lot easier when you finish! And follow what interests you and try to educate yourself as much as possible in that field.
    OK so this is getting lenghty...good luck!

Waow!! thanks for all the information, it sounds so exciting!!... I can't wait to start! :) just ONE MORE question! (sorry!!)... can u remember ur overall score for the portfolio and LC combined?... I just hope mine is high enough!! (600 in the PF, but, only 320 in the LC) would you say that'll be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

currently studying vis com in dit.
    the points you got sound fine.
    most people in the course averaged about 400 for the portfolio and 300 for the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

and printmaking is still part of the first year course its just one third of your year now as they cant afford to take another printmaking teacher so we've been told.
    its not too bad as you get a chance a try it and then in 2nd year branch off

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

i think my overall was about 650-700, isnt 600 the highest you can get in the portfolio? it was when i was going in and i didnt hear of anyone getting near it. some in my year got the minimum requirement and still got in so im pretty sure your well sorted!

yeah 600 is the highest still......

but ya know 320 isn't the best for the LC... so just wondered!!! :rolleyes:
    oh and thanx for all the info!

Advertisement