Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what order to fly Irish/American/Euro flag

• 22-07-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help out - I need to know what order to fly the Irish/American/Euro flag? Tircolour in the middle, as I look at the flags which is on the left and which on the right?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Display, placing and precedence

3 No flag or pennant should be flown above the National Flag.

4 When the National Flag is carried with another flag, or flags, it should be carried in the place of honour, i.e. on the marching right – or on the left of an observer to- wards whom the flags are approaching (Figure B).

Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be carried on the immediate left of the National Flag, or, as seen by an observer when the flags are approaching, on the immediate right of the National Flag.

Figure B

5 In the event of a display of crossed staffs the National Flag should be to the right and to the fore, that is to the left of the observer who is facing the flag. Its staff should be in front of the other flag or flags (Figure C).

Figure C

6(a) European Union Flags
    When the group of flags of the European Union are flown, the sequence is alphabetical, based on the first letter of the country’s name. The flags should be flown from left to right with the European Union flag flown from the first flagstaff before the group (Figure D). An alternative order of flags is to begin on the left with the National flag and place the European Union flag on the far right of the group, as seen by an observer (Figure E).

Figure D Figure E

6(b) International Flags
    Where either an even or an odd number of flags are flown in line on staffs of equal height, the National Flag should be first on the right of the line (i.e. on the observer’s left as he or she faces the flags). Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be flown on the immediate left of the National Flag, or as seen by an observer, on the immediate right of the National Flag. Where, however, an odd number of flags are displayed from staffs grouped so that there is one staff in the centre and higher than the others, the National Flag
    should be displayed from the staff so placed. Where one of these flags is that of the European Union, the European Union flag should be flown from the first flagstaff on the right, or as seen by an observer, on the first flagstaff on the left.

7 Only one National Flag should be displayed in each group of flags or at each location. In all cases, the National Flag should be in the place of honour.

8 When the National Flag is displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall or other background, the green should be on the right (an observer’s left) in the horizontal position or uppermost in the vertical position.

9 When displayed on a platform the National Flag should be above and behind the speaker’s desk.

10 While being carried the National Flag should not be dipped by way of salute or compliment except to the dead during memorial ceremonies.

Hoisting and lowering the Flag

11 In raising or lowering, the National Flag should not be allowed to touch the ground. When being hoisted to half-mast, the Flag should first be brought to the peak of the staff and then lowered to the half-mast position. It should again be brought to the peak of the staff before it is finally lowered (Figure F).
    Hope this helps ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hoping someone can help out - I need to know what order to fly the Irish/American/Euro flag? Tircolour in the middle, as I look at the flags which is on the left and which on the right?

Cheers

Iwasfrozen has nailed it, quoting from the government's flag policy. If all three staffs are equal height, it's Irish, European, US from left to right as you look at them from the front. If there's one higher than the other two, the Irish one goes on that, the Euro to its left (as viewed from the front) and the US to the right (as viewed from the front)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Kool.
    So I have three poles with the center one taller, so from an observers perspective it should look like:

EU IRL USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

correct ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Does anyone know whether it's ok for a government building to fly the European flag without the National flag there as well?

Just asking because the Civic offices on wood quay are forever doing it. As I was passing today they also had the Californian flag up as well but no Tricolour.

Does it make me sound like a mentalist that that really bothers me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Whilst it's certainly an eyebrow raiser, and I don't see the point, I don't actually think there's any protocol which says it's wrong.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

When I was in Australia the flag on the Irish Embassy was at the top of the mast.

Doesn't that mean the BOTTOM of the mast as viewed from Ireland?

Is this insulting to Ireland?

Puzzled from Kerry.

Advertisement