Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wind?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

no, not the kind caused by having 2 bowls of crunchy bran before leaving the house - although that stuff is rocket propulsion!

but the meteorological kind. I can quite happily trundle along at 35 km/hr for hours on a still day. Last weekend there was quite a bit of wind in Cork and my average trip speed was only 26! I wasn't fatigued (though maybe a bit underfed), I've had my bike set-up checked so I don't think I have unnecessary drag, I'm using clip-on tri-bars.

I'm only getting back in the saddle after 4 months of pretty serious illnes, is the wind effect, simply a reflection of my lack of fitness and therefore power or is there something else I can do to minimise the effect of the wind. My next race is likely to be very windy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wind is the devil farting in your face, laughing at your feeble attempts to climb up a shallow incline in the smallest sprocket.

Just pray that it is still going the same way when you are heading back.

Not much you can do really, especially if by yourself. Tuck in those elbows (no problem on tri bars i guess!) and get your head down. Its demoralising at best.

Wait till winter rolls around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

jesus i hate the wind. fúcks me right off...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're never going to go as fast in the wind as you would on a still day. Even if you generate the same amount of power, some of that is going to be diverted into beating the wind, so your speed will suffer. If you're riding on your own and have no one else to leech shelter off, the best tactic is to get low and minimise your exposure to it. If you're using aero bars, it sounds like you're doing that already.

As for the race, everyone else is going to have to cope with the wind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

no, not the kind caused by having 2 bowls of crunchy bran before leaving the house - although that stuff is rocket propulsion!

but the meteorological kind. I can quite happily trundle along at 35 km/hr for hours on a still day. Last weekend there was quite a bit of wind in Cork and my average trip speed was only 26! I wasn't fatigued (though maybe a bit underfed), I've had my bike set-up checked so I don't think I have unnecessary drag, I'm using clip-on tri-bars.

I'm only getting back in the saddle after 4 months of pretty serious illnes, is the wind effect, simply a reflection of my lack of fitness and therefore power or is there something else I can do to minimise the effect of the wind. My next race is likely to be very windy.

Watts are watts are watts.

one of the reasons I love my PM - strong tailwind and think you're in fantastic form? Nope 80 watts and 40kph just doesn't add up. Likewise headwinds, only crawling along at 25kph, not going hard enough? Sure are if the watts are up over 300 :)

On my saturday ride I was rolling easy over wicklow gap. Strong headwind. If I sat in I saved 70 watts. Shows what a wind can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The key to beating wind is speed holes.

Puncture your body, particularly your torso with holes. Insert hollow pipes through the holes. The air will flow through the pipes and not impinge your speed. Try to avoid useful organs.

For added entertainment, place whistles on the pipes and enjoy a pleasant tune as you cycle along.

• Advertisement

Hmmm....sounds like a power meter wud drive me nuts. Its why I hate driving BMWs, the fuel consumption needles becomes this obsessive game to drive at as efficient a speed/rev combo as possible, and it never works!!!

I would imagine a power meter wud make my cycling more of an obsessive number game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Its why I hate driving BMWs,

We are all feeling so sorry for you right now... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

tunney wrote: »
    Watts are watts are watts.

one of the reasons I love my PM - strong tailwind and think you're in fantastic form? Nope 80 watts and 40kph just doesn't add up. Likewise headwinds, only crawling along at 25kph, not going hard enough? Sure are if the watts are up over 300 :)

On my saturday ride I was rolling easy over wicklow gap. Strong headwind. If I sat in I saved 70 watts. Shows what a wind can do.

it's on my wish list!

Thanks for all the comments.

Raam wrote: »
    We are all feeling so sorry for you right now... ;)

Driven, never owned! Im a cyclist through and through...unless its cold, raining or windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Its why I hate driving BMWs, the fuel consumption needles becomes this obsessive game
    That needle is the best bit. See how long you can keep it under 16 mpg :D

That aside, the wind is your enemy. I find it can make a difference of 1/5 or so to a daily commute - i.e. fast with it behind you and slow with it in your face. The same wind will, I find, always make slow slower than fast faster....if you follow me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Verb wrote: »

Puncture your body, particularly your torso with holes. Insert hollow pipes through the holes.
    You could open your @rse and your mouth at the same time and let it flow through that way.

I dont mind wind. Cycling to my last job I had to face into it every morning. Now if i'm out cycling with mates it seems to demoralise me less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I can assure you tailwinds can make the fast faster! Generally as tunney says if you are flying along with very little effort you are either in a bunch or have a fantastic tailwind. I would imagine heart rate is an effective alternate effort measurement for those cheapskates without power meters.

I try to plan a route on windy days that climbs hills against the wind (the hill shelters somewhat) and with the wind on the back for the flat bits coming back.

Verb- I like the holes idea. Saves weight too! Make sure they are carbon pipes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hmmm....sounds like a power meter wud drive me nuts. Its why I hate driving BMWs, the fuel consumption needles becomes this obsessive game to drive at as efficient a speed/rev combo as possible, and it never works!!!

I would imagine a power meter wud make my cycling more of an obsessive number game.

Yip, its all about the numbers. However unlike what you say about the BMW gagdets a decent power meter does work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Verb wrote: »

Puncture your body, particularly your torso with holes. Insert hollow pipes through the holes. The air will flow through the pipes and not impinge your speed. Try to avoid useful organs.

For added entertainment, place whistles on the pipes and enjoy a pleasant tune as you cycle along.

Surely the whistles would provide some sort of impediment and therefore increase resitantce???

In saying that, the sound would be worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I’ve learned to accept the wind. I reckon the one fifth of a difference measurement is pretty accurate, or +/-10% for you number obsessives.
    I’ll often check out www.wunderground.com to see what I’m going to be dealing with before getting on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

It is advisable to do your outward spin against the wind... if you have the choice.

Having the wind behind you on the way home compensates for those tired muscles. I use this useful windsurfing resource when planning a spin... It gives an hourly wind speed and direction animated forecast for the next three days

http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/superforecast_uk_ireland_animation.htm

The wind direction is a really important consideration, particularly when you live in the west of Ireland, one of the windiest places on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

^^^^^

Jez that's a great resource! Thanks!

Advertisement