Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mud flaps - do people bother with them anymore?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Mud flaps/splash flaps...

Do people bother with them? I know a lot of country-bumpkin conservative-types who insist on them being fitted when they get a car. They're quite cheap anyways. Thing is, I think they're pretty much useless. I didn't fit them this time around and don't notice the car any dirtier, despite the flooded roads we had a few weeks ago.

Depends on the type of car as well I suppose. Presumably someone buying a Jetta TDI will be more likely to want them than those looking for something a bit cooler like a 3 series coupe.

They are moulded plastic these days and usually look part of the car design rather than the horrid, flabby bits of rubber curtain from a decade or so ago. I don't detest them but, as I said above, I just don't see the point. I think they're just a useless (but cheap) extra that the dealer can throw in to close a deal...

Perhaps a throwback to a more agricultural age when there was more cow-**** etc. on our roads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I have them on the front of my golf to sop the front wheels throwing up stones onto the paint work. They look ok on the car as well

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

alexmcred wrote: »
    I have them on the front of my golf to sop the front wheels throwing up stones onto the paint work. They look ok on the car as well

... and rear flaps lessen the amount of stones, mud, spray thrown at whomever is following you.

On small cars they can be fashion accessories, which may keep the car cleaner & chip free, but on larger vehicles they're pretty much essential safety equipment, especially at speed on dirty / wet road. (Note to self consider getting mudflaps for the Series II Landrover, but does it go fast enough to fling debris?)

Considering the amount of chips on the bonnet of the car already I said I would spread the love/chips:p. I notice a lot of trucks don't seem to have them which imho is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pburns wrote: »
    Perhaps a throwback to a more agricultural age when there was more cow-**** etc. on our roads?
    You haven't driven around Meath lately have you :), where what seems like every road is being dug up/rerouted as part of the all-encompassing M3 motorway works :(

The amount of dump trucks, tractors, and plant machinery I encounter on a daily basis is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Simply put any person that buys a car without mudflaps should be at the very least castrated.. for the women hit with something hard on the head will do ;)

I've lost track of the number of times I've cleaned my card, ended up behind a gimp with no mudflaps and the car's manky dirty again.

• Advertisement

That reminds me I got caught behind a Kerry or cork Co. Co. truck couple of months ago they had no cover over the back and the amount of stones coming back onto the cars behind was very unnerving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Perhaps a throwback to a more agricultural age when there was more cow-**** etc. on our roads?[/quote]

Where I live there is still plenty of cow-**** on the roads, I would say they are useful in the country if using the muddy back roads mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They're useless on the average car IMO and I wouldn't have them on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I have 'em on my car. Looks good and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I hadn't noticed until now, but they're nowhere to be found over here. I never see them. I wouldn't put them on my car, either. I'm sure they don't have any practical advantage.

A lot of people over here have "bras" though, which is the ugliest thing you can do to a car :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Balfa wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed until now, but they're nowhere to be found over here. I never see them. I wouldn't put them on my car, either. I'm sure they don't have any practical advantage.

A lot of people over here have "bras" though, which is the ugliest thing you can do to a car :/

I must ask for one the next time I'm in Halford's:

"Hi, I'm looking for a front end sport bra, and I'm also looking for a bra for my rear-end, preferably something to match the colour of my car...." <points to car in car-park>

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

AFAIK they are a legal requirement.
    my back left one fell of a while ago and everytime I see it I shudder a little bit. Looks terrible with one missing, I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If their a legal requirement why are they neither factory-fitted nor checked at the NCT?

I honestly can't remember if I have any!

MYOB wrote: »
    If their a legal requirement why are they neither factory-fitted nor checked at the NCT?

I honestly can't remember if I have any!

I dunno, ask them!!
    I was talking to a guard the other day and he said something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've forgotten the number 1 rule - never ask a Guard about traffic laws!

MYOB wrote: »
    You've forgotten the number 1 rule - never ask a Guard about traffic laws!

whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Of course they are not a legal requirement. Certainly not on passenger cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Im pro mudflaps, i have a small hatchback and on very wet roads the back wheels spray the rear window so have to use my rear wiper a lot sometimes.
    I feel the mudflaps have helped a little, which only leads me to believe that if someone were driving behind me, their front windscreen is getting less spray as well.

On a slightly off topic note, anyone ever notice how dirty some Golfs look? Mostly Mk4's, must catch the dirt more because of their shape or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Legal requirement!!!!:D:D:rolleyes:...

There may be a benefit with hatchbacks all right. I'd wager it's marginal enough though. Most of ye are talking bollocks IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Balfa wrote: »

I have the Moulded Mudflaps on my car and find them grest at keep[ing the stonechips at bay on the sides of my car.

On the other issue,
    I notice lots of women wearing bras around here which I dont think they have any practical advantage judging by the size of their T**S :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement