Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quark

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Im basically trying to get into graphic design,i didnt go round it the best way as i studied computer game design,but as i hated the coursec so much it put me off the industry alot,now i hace no intention of going back to do another 3 or four years in college so i looked at my options with what i know.

After filtering through various recruitment agencies they all seem to say graphic design may be the thing for me,now through my old course i have excellent knowledge in illustrator,photoshop,3ds max,and corel draw.but apparently quark is a big sorftware app in the industry,can anyone inform me one its uses and possible interface?

I have a very long road to go down here but i think i should start here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Personally I would learn InDesign instead. Trust me, from experience I know that if you are familiar with InDesign then you will be able to use Quark as well, or at least pick it up quickly. The two are very similar but I feel InDesign will be the dominant software in the future. Quark is widely used in the media sector, especially by Newspapers but InDesign is what most design studios would use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

It really all depends on what road you exactly want to go down.
    If you wanna do stuff like Page Layout or Printmaking and stuff like that, then as peejay says, InDesign would be a good option.

Whereas if you want to do something like Logo Creation/Brand Identity then maybe Adobe Illustrator would be a good move for you.

There's so many options that may be hard for you to choose straight off the bat. Take some time to look around the industry and even experiment around with some of the disciplines to get a feel for it. Then, maybe look into somehow gettin a job to break into it?

I feel like I've danced around the question.
    I'll post again when I get home.. :)

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey i'm doing Computer Game Development in Carlow and we did Quark in college for a year and to be honest, i can't see it being the industry standard in terms of graphic design.

As said above, depending on the route you want to go down, you might want to look into alternatives.

Just my two cents there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Most design would come from either Illustrator or Photoshop. These days InDesign is becoming the industry leader as far as page layout goes so it would be highly beneficial in jumping straight into InDesign and leave Quark well alone. InDesign training would be a benefit to you as Illustrator and Photoshop use similar interfaces and the 3 programmes interact very well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

From what I have heard from other threads as well as this one: InDesign is the way to go. And from your background you probably have most of the skills already to go into this area easily enough. Once you have the eye for design and the technical skills from PS and illustrator and 3D etc it will be an easy transition.

I studied multimedia (screen based) and I find myself in a job where I so far have been producing stuff for promotions from leaflets to billboards! It has been no problem, so far anyway. Plenty of tutorials out there as well from 'Lynda.com' to 'Total Training' which will more than help you along for new apps like indesign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

Having used both for work, InDesign gets my thumbs up. Had to teach myself how to use both "on the fly" and InDesign had the easiest learning curve by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

Ok cool,well cheers for all the help and advice!

Advertisement