Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDS FAVOURITE BOOK - 1984 -George Orwell

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

With 20% of all votes.
    Decided to tie this up as votes have slowed down completely.
    Runners up with 11% each were -Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials.
    Certainly a sci-fi futuristic penchant from the Boards Readers.
    Must read 1984 now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

First, I think it would have been better to have the long list [as we have] and then you have a short list of 4 or 5 books and the 'final' vote would be from there. Buts its a good idea, we can perfect the rules next time.

Anyway, I never 'got' 1984. I always thought it was thought it blown up to be far more than it actually was tbh

Its a great idea, but its so bleak...and I know thats part of the point. The Road is bleak, but I can see the art in the writing and the character development [or lack of in some places]. But 1984 was bleak and the characters were not believable at all [IMHO].

I have read it twice and was forcing myself to get through it both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If you want a picture of the literature forum, imagine a hand fixing a foppish hairdo - forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

pffffffff, I always thought 1984 was just a sequel to animal farm with sex... boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I must read 1984 again, I don't think I fully got it in the end. While I enjoyed the book, and the many concepts and ideas popularised by Orwell are fascinating (such as Big Brother, etc), it be far from my FAVOURITE BOOK. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I've just finished 1984 and I didn't think it was that great to be perfectly honest. Maybe I was born too late :o but I found it quite dull and depressing. The only part I liked was reading Goldstein's manifesto. I thought the ending was pretty depressing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I think that this is a fantastic book and a great choice as Boards favourite book, the concepts within this book are more valid today than when they we written in the forties. I loved the idea of doublethink and newspeak and how the state basically wants everyone to become unthinking zombies.

Advertisement