Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40,000 tonnes of fertilizer for sale

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of info if I may. I have the opportunity to import and sell 40-50,000 tonnes of any fertilizer over the period of a year.

Does anyone know of any companies who would buy this? What I mean by that is, is it too small a quantity for any of the big firms like Glanbia or Drummonds?

What is the yearly use of fertilizer in Ireland?

Any info greatly accepted.

Regards,

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Murdock101

Hi,

An average crops would recieve approx 150-200kg per acre, depending on crop, ie Wheat can be pushed more than barley. In theory soil samples should be taken to determine required fertilizer inputs.

So 40,000 tonnes would be more than enough for 200,000 acres, which is alot of acres.

I presume the likes of Glanbia etc have supply contracts in place but if the price is right ye never know.

Also i know of a group of farmers who would like to go down the route of importing their own fertilizer because they feel margins in Glanbia etc are too high. However it would be alot smaller qty.

On a side note, fertilizer companies say that demand will remain big, and prices remain high - check out reports on websites of Yara, Agrium, Potash etc. But analysis have downgraded some of these companies bacause they think price are too high!
    Also some eastern european mines have reopened which should drop the price of fertilizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of info if I may. I have the opportunity to import and sell 40-50,000 tonnes of any fertilizer over the period of a year.

Does anyone know of any companies who would buy this? What I mean by that is, is it too small a quantity for any of the big firms like Glanbia or Drummonds?

What is the yearly use of fertilizer in Ireland?

Any info greatly accepted.

Regards,

S.

it is somewhat amusing to me that someone who has the means to cut a deal involving 40 thousand tonne of fertilizer would be asking about an outlet for it in here , would be akin to michael o leary looking for advice on where to buy planes , your either full of crap or a massive businessman who likes to simply discuss his multi millionaire deals with complete strangers anonymously

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Seems a ittle fishy alright

However, I was wondering about something similar to what Murdock101 mentions. Why do farmers not pool resources together for the bulk purchase/sale of inputs and outputs?

I suppose this was the original idea behind the co-ops....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Murdock101

Yep this was the original idea behind glanbia and others too, but now that they are a corporation, profits becaome no.1 priority, hence the ridiculous grain prices announced yesterday by Glanbia meaning alot of farmers wont even break even considering the rise in fertilizer, diesel, seed and very high rented land price - but suppose the farmer can only be blamed for that....
    But maybe Glanbia are shooting themselves in the foot because alot less grain could be sowed this year, meaning they will pay higher prices next year.

Farmers would be in favour of pooling together, but you need a similiar group of like minded individuals, there are already buyers groups out there working on invitation only.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

40,000 tonnes!
    are you for real?
    that quantity of anything is no small amount, not to mind the value of it. something extremely fishy there, you must be some dodgy eastern european mafia type trying to flog some hard crusty fert that dosent break up in the spreader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Certainly sounds like a load of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

I'm part of a buyer/purchasing group,it works very well but as already posted it needs to contain like mind individuals to make it work. Confidentiality is a major part of it too,you'll never hear what were paying for materials,this is done so companies don't get other customers upset cos they are not getting the same deal. Can easily say its saving me 000's a year between insurance,diesel,meal,fertislers,vet,dosing,fencing,silage wrap,seeds,sprays etc etc, even as much as i'd earn if i took a part time job i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is importing or handling large quantities of fertilizer not highly regulated because of it's possible use in bombs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

mcflowers wrote: »
    I'm part of a buyer/purchasing group,it works very well but as already posted it needs to contain like mind individuals to make it work. Confidentiality is a major part of it too,you'll never hear what were paying for materials,this is done so companies don't get other customers upset cos they are not getting the same deal. Can easily say its saving me 000's a year between insurance,diesel,meal,fertislers,vet,dosing,fencing,silage wrap,seeds,sprays etc etc, even as much as i'd earn if i took a part time job i'd say.
    Hi A purchasing group concept is something I am very interested in. I tried to get a group of neighbours together but no go, as everyone thinks they can get a better deal than the neighbour, or wont disclose their true input costs.
    Is yours a local group or nationwide ?
    What does it cost to run ?
    Does one person do the buying ??

Advertisement