Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New van

• 22-07-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting new wheels:).
    How does it work for claiming the Vat back?
    Can I either choose to get it in one lump sum or get it over the lenght of the finance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think you are confusing VAT with capital allowances.

If you ar buying the Van for business purposes the VAT can be reclaimed in your next VAT return.

Capital allowances are spread over the life of the van, (I think 5 years for motor vehicles but someone might correct this if it is wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 rob accounts

If buying by finance lease, the Vat is claimed over the term of the lease. For tax purposes, the van is also written off over the term of the lease as the repayments are allowed for tax. If buying by hire purchase, the total Vat on the purchase of the van may be claimed on next Vat return. The cost of the van (exclusive of Vat) is written off for tax purposes over 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

I'm indeed buying the van for business purposes.

Can I reclaimed the full Vat on it on my next tax return ( I'm going to get a finance within the garage. )?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dk22

You need to ensure you are getting the commercial van under a hire purchase agreement to claim the VAT back in the next period. Also if you generally have a VAT liability and you all of a sudden submit a VAT reclaim revenue will look for back up on the claim so ensure you have the proper agreement documentation on hand to send a copy to Revenue if requested.

Advertisement