Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverbank Theatre, Newbridge to close.

Options
  • 22-07-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

The Riverbank Theatre is to close it's doors at the end of August. It made a loss of over €80,000 already this year. It's about time they close it. Now maybe people will realise that it needs a major facelift and some new staff (technical especially) to get things going again. I mean I've done a few shows there and each experience was worse than the last. It's so hard to work there, the equipment was rubbish, the layout of the auditorium is a joke. There's a lovely restaurant upstairs in it that has never been used. And the dressing rooms are disgusting and filthy. I'm not spreading slander because I, and many others have witnessed all this on several occasions. One example of how bad the management (or whoever was running it) is one time a few months back I was in newbridge and I seen a poster for a production that was there since 2005, next to it was a poster for a new play that was opening soon. I decide I'd go and I went to the box office at 3pm. It was closed. I tried again the following day and it was closed. I had to wait until an evening when another show was on to ring the box office to order tickets. I was told that the play I wanted to see was sold out only to hear the following week that the play was cancelled because of lack of interest. Somebody told me and others that the play was sold out, clearly not wanting people to go so they wouldn't have to work or something. I don't know the logic behind it. I'm on a bit of a rant now because I did point this behaviour out to the manager at the time and a local councillor and still nothing was done.

I don't like to see Kildare lose the only arts centre they have but the place does need refurbishment and a new start so maybe this will bring some attention towards it. A private company own the venue and I can't believe a company could let a place get so bad. And the council paid for a new restaurant that the company never bothered to open! What a joke! Anyway, hopefully it'll get the attention and work that it needs to become a modern theatre.

Advertisement