Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for 40th weekend in waterford city - 7 girls

• 22-07-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, really need some help. A group of 7 girls aged between mid 30s-mid 40s (like my use of girls for our age!!) will be heading to Waterford city in Aug to celebrate a 40th bday.
    Arrive Friday night so need some advice on somewhere to eat and then head for drinks/late bar. Dont want to be moving too much as some will be arrivng down about 8pm.

Saturday think will book Emillionios for lunch (based on comments on these boards) and then heading to Tramore Races. But what should be do after races? Drink in Tramore or head back into Waterford city to a bar?????
    Staying in Fitzwilton hotel, in Waterford for weekend.
    We like a bit of crack so insider info is needed
    Any info gratefully taken!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

two words....

MY GAFF!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ecas wrote: »
    Hi, really need some help. A group of 7 girls aged between mid 30s-mid 40s (like my use of girls for our age!!) will be heading to Waterford city in Aug to celebrate a 40th bday.
    Arrive Friday night so need some advice on somewhere to eat and then head for drinks/late bar. Dont want to be moving too much as some will be arrivng down about 8pm.

Saturday think will book Emillionios for lunch (based on comments on these boards) and then heading to Tramore Races. But what should be do after races? Drink in Tramore or head back into Waterford city to a bar?????
    Staying in Fitzwilton hotel, in Waterford for weekend.
    We like a bit of crack so insider info is needed
    Any info gratefully taken!!!

For Friday - I'd recommend heading towards town, ring ahead and book a table at Cafe Goa on the quay (about 3 min walk from the fitzwilton). Its a really nice Indian restaurant, top class food and v relaxed. Then head up into town from there, maybe call into T+H Doolans for one - A nice old pub. Further up into town you have Geoffs which decent and as regards late bar, Harveys is probably the best.

Sat - Lunch in Emilanos is spot on. Great place and best in Waterford IMO. As for after the races, well normally Tramore is August is a place to avoid, but with it being Race weekend it might be worth staying out there. If you are heading back into town, its probably to go to Harveys or somewhere like that.

2 pieces of advice - 1 Dont go to Ruby's. 2 Getting a taxi back from Tramore to Waterford at 2 or 3 in the morning can be an absolute nightmare

Good luck and have a good weekend

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your in Tramore for the Races, Tramore is going to be pretty busy and the craic will be good in a lot of the pubs. Some nice places to eat in Tramore, and the nightlife isnt half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

KevIRL wrote: »
    For Friday - I'd recommend heading towards town, ring ahead and book a table at Cafe Goa on the quay (about 3 min walk from the fitzwilton).

Agreed. Cafe Goa is lovely. I hear the Fitzwilton is nice, and improving too - the hotel at any rate. I've heard negatives about the restaurant, but that may have been a one-off.

2 Getting a taxi back from Tramore to Waterford at 2 or 3 in the morning can be an absolute nightmare

Definitely, although take note of some of the city taxi numbers and call them if you find yourself out there at that time. Sometimes they can call a driver who's just done a drop out from town.

And did I hear right, or is there now a night bus at weekends between the city centre and An Trá Mhór?

Good luck and have a good weekend

+1

And come back and tell us how you got on :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    And did I hear right, or is there now a night bus at weekends between the city centre and An Trá Mhór?

Not anymore, didnt work out I dont think.

Getting a taxi in Tramore in general can be a bit of a pain, but late at night is even worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As for the Taxi to and from Tramore , I have a mate who drives a 8 seater and lives in Tramore . PM me if you would like his mobile No he may be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got stranded in Tramore one summers night, we got home, well to Waterford at around 2 am (having missed the last bus) and then I needed to phone home for the rest of the journey out to Kilmeaden (Mother (I think it was) not too thrilled!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if there are any smokers in your group then harveys is the place to end you night as they have a huge smoking area with a bar and toilets , coming from a non smoker it does my head in going there with friends but it might just suit ye down to the ground,
    i recommend emiliano's as well as the lads, the food there is smashing, for a bit of snackie food during the daytime you could try revolution or the kazbar, both do decent daytime food , geoffs do ok food daytime also,

hope ye have a good time in waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

hire a male stripper and don't leave the hotel for the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

robtri wrote: »
    hire a male stripper and don't leave the hotel for the weekend :)
    i'll do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

For a group of 7 i would recommend ringing the tweedy group 051879184 or www.tweedygroup.ie . they run a ladies package which includes limo pick up from town to oskars for a meal then limo ride back to town for cocktails in either masons(dj) or rubys lounge(local band) then entry to either rubys(chart) or muldoons/oxygen- (60s,70s and 80s downstairs in muldoons,hiphop,dance up in oxygen) with both muldoons/oxygen open as 1 venue so you can go inbetween. all 5places in town are 10sec away from each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Anon0000 wrote: »
    For a group of 7 i would recommend ringing the tweedy group 051879184 or www.tweedygroup.ie . they run a ladies package which includes limo pick up from town to oskars for a meal then limo ride back to town for cocktails in either masons(dj) or rubys lounge(local band) then entry to either rubys(chart) or muldoons/oxygen- (60s,70s and 80s downstairs in muldoons,hiphop,dance up in oxygen) with both muldoons/oxygen open as 1 venue so you can go inbetween. all 5places in town are 10sec away from each other

the only trouble there is that ruby's is cack, oxygen is mega cack and muldoons is super mega ultra cack. seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

depends what ur into, a club or pub? if its a club well they have already been mentioned , except the forum but thats usually rock music. However if its a bar, try the 3shippes or T&H Doolans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

the main thing is you have the 3 main late bars/clubs in the package so you will easily find music that suits your taste and on the plus side when you get the package you are well looked after because in fairness the staff are very nice and friendly in all 3 places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Sully wrote: »
    If your in Tramore for the Races, Tramore is going to be pretty busy and the craic will be good in a lot of the pubs. Some nice places to eat in Tramore, and the nightlife isnt half bad either.

When did Tramore get nightlife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

the nightlife isnt half bad either.

no it's actually all bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In fairness, the Vic in Tramore is a great spot, but I don't know of anywhere else there that's all that good - Sully, stand up for your town! Where else is good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Martha's, Crokes and Sadies are my faves out there. Followed closely by the Vic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I didn't even know there was 4 pubs in Tramore :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

longshanks wrote: »
    the only trouble there is that ruby's is cack, oxygen is mega cack and muldoons is super mega ultra cack. seriously.
    Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh don't insult his business

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »

come on longshank's get off the fence , what do you really think of tweedy's pub's??

Roen wrote: »
    Martha's, Crokes and Sadies are my faves out there. Followed closely by the Vic.

fair enough but during the summer months in my expierence tramore pubs have been frequented by some unsavoury characters there on holiday

getting a taxi home to the mudderland can be a nightmare too.
    on a slightly different note i once asked a friend of mine to ask someone out there where the taxi office was and he replied he couldnt as "he didnt speak tramore".
    which i thought was funny as the "trimur" accent is a cross between grange and the O.C ............too many brads,corey's and todd's for my liking

SUNGOD wrote: »
    on a slightly different note i once asked a friend of mine to ask someone out there where the taxi office was and he replied he couldnt as "he didnt speak tramore".
    which i thought was funny as the "trimur" accent is a cross between grange and the O.C ............too many brads,corey's and todd's for my liking
    It's what happens when you think you're from a surf resort :P and also think the because you're near the beach you are like a slightly less posh OC :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

anybody else get the smell in muldoons for the last while, the place badly needs to be hosed down and revamped, 1 too many smelly pints been spilled on the floor

Tramore has several pubs from the top of the town right down to the bottom of the town. Popular ones include O'Neills, Alfies, The Grand Hotel, The Vic, Murphs, Marthas, the new pub beside O'Sheas whose name escapes me. I don't know much else about the other handful of pubs left.

Two clubs; The Baldy Man & Charlie Strings. Both locations have always been very popular clubs, but the Baldy went down hill for a while and Charlies took over. I *think* its changed and there both pretty popular now. I personally like the new look Baldy.

So to be fair, Tramore has a very good nightlife. The races, August one mainly, is very popular in Tramore and draws in large numbers to the town. Its Tramores busiest part of the year with most B&Bs booked out. A lot of visitors to the town eat, sleep and drink in Tramore and don't often go into the city. The atmosphere in the pubs, which would be pretty busy during race week, would be enjoyable.

To be fair, all seaside resorts draw in a rough crowd. Waterford draws in a crowd during the Summer also. If you want to avoid it, stay away from the sea front where all the apartments are. There are some top class accommodation at the top of the town, including B&Bs, Guest Houses & Hotels.

Foodwise, there are plenty of decent restaurants to choose from. Some of which have decided to plague locals (oddly enough) with advertisements for their business and increase signage to generate more awareness. Was never fond of this approach to get business. Saying that, there are some top quality places to get food. Most of which are located at the top of the town.

Now that we have covered Tramore, lets get back onto covering Waterford City and give some useful information to the OP :)

I have no idea what your on about... a Tramore accent? We don't have one to the best of my knowledge. There are only two taxi offices in Tramore - the first one is across from the Bus Terminus (its a tourist office by day and a taxi office by night) and the second one is down around the corner from Charlie Strings (Strand Cabs). Most companies wont bring you into the city until later in the night due to them being very busy.

Two clubs; The Baldy Man & Charlie Strings. Both locations have always been very popular clubs, but the Baldy went down hill for a while and Charlies took over. I *think* its changed and there both pretty popular now. I personally like the new look Baldy.

not from what I've heard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

fair enough but during the summer months in my expierence tramore pubs have been frequented by some unsavoury characters there on holiday

I'd agree with you fully there, although the further up the hill you go the better it is. The unsavouries then to be lazy and stay at the bottom of the hill.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    not from what I've heard :P

What would you know :p

Advertisement