Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless

Options
  • 22-07-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi there I have BT broadband but i need to plug the telephone cable into the back of my mac. If I want to switch to wireless is it just case of getting a wireless router or what do I have t do to switch? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm... I take it you're confusing the 'telephone cable' with an RJ45 Ethernet cable yeah? In that case yes it's just a case of buying a wireless router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Where to start?

What makes you think that you need to plug the telephone cable into the back of your mac? The only place your telephone cable goes is into your router.

To achieve wireless you need a wireless broadband router and a wireless card in your mac.

Do you have a wireless broadband router? A good indication is if there is an aerial or two sticking out of it.

Do you have a wireless card in your mac? If it is a recent one you probably have.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

sorry ye I meant the ethernet cable, wasn't thinking. So all I have ti do is get a wireless router, thats great, hmmm I could probably just pick one up second hand on adverts or something...cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

jellybeans wrote: »
    sorry ye I meant the ethernet cable, wasn't thinking. So all I have ti do is get a wireless router, thats great, hmmm I could probably just pick one up second hand on adverts or something...cheers for that

Yup, that or google. Good luck. If you have any difficulties setting it up make sure you read the manual first.

Advertisement