Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike 'fixed' in Halfords - is this normal?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi,
    At the weekend I dropped my bike into Halfords for a few tweaks. The brakes were very loose and on the cogs attached to the pedals I couldn't change into the highest gear (it's been like that since I bought the bike, but only bothered getting it seen to now).

They rang me when they were working on the bike to say that I needed a new chain and that would fix the gears problem.

When I picked it up, I still couldn't get into the highest gear. Well, I can... but I have to hold the gear-changer on the handlebars to stay in that gear.

What's more, the brakes are now tightened... but the back brakes are scraping off the wheel. I cycle home from work every day, uphill and against the wind, for an hour and really don't need anything else slowing me down.

Oh, and now the chain is slipping a lot on the cogs at the back of the bike. This is poxy - when I was cycling down the quays yesterday, the gears were slipping all over the place and I was in danger of falling off the bike or going out in front of a HGV.

I pointed out some of this stuff when I collected the bike, and they said I could leave it with them or drop it back in later in the week and they'll fix it free of charge.

Here's my question: should I just go elsewhere? Halfords' attempt at fixing my bike seems to have created even more problems. Is this normal? Are the slipping gears just a result of the new chain stretching (or something)?

Please help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sounds like a bunch of monkeys to me!

What make/model of bike do you wobble around on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Lothaar wrote: »
    At the weekend I dropped my bike into Halfords

That was your first mistake. Halfrauds are a bunch of clowns, I wouldnt trust them with a tricyle to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This is dire. Brake blocks rubbing on the wheel ? They suck. Bring it to your local bike shop and they'll do it properly.

I recommend Joe Dalys if near Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OK, they probably are monkeys but a new chain will skip on an old cassette if the cassette is worn. That is quite normal and you may need a new cassette. Note this is if the chain is skipping in place, e.g. not between different gears.

However if the chain is skipping between different gears, it is an entirely different problem- you need your derailleur adjusted. As you say you are having problems getting into the highest gear this sounds quite likely to be the problem.

Brakes are generally quite easy to adjust yourself- what type do you have?

Joe Dalys will indeed fix it up properly for you if you want to do that. Adjustment of derailleur and brakes should not cost you a lot if nothing needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From my experiences of going into Halfords, they're just a bunch of kids working in the bike section. Probably young enthusiasts at best, but lacking in the experience to adequately work on bikes.

The items you mention are fairly straightforward issues which any decent shop should be able to sort in less than 10 minutes, assuming that you don't now need a new cassette to go with your chain. If you do, that'll add 5 minutes on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I wouldnt trust them with a tricyle to be honest.

Especially not a tricycle - that gives them 3 wheels to muck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Especially not a tricycle - that gives them 3 wheels to muck up.

my mistake. A unicyle. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No it's not normal. All of them are problems you can fix easily by yourself with a little know eye. If you don't fancy doing it yourself, take it to a proper bikeshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I bought the bike in Halfords, Blanch SC, which is my local bike shop. Can't remember the make. It cost about €300 18 months ago. In fact, it's the exact bike the dad is riding on the brochure for their service plan. Blue and white.

I have disc brakes on the front and normal brakes on the back. It's the back ones that are rubbing. Actually, I stopped on the way home yesterday and adjusted my front wheel, as the disc was also rubbing against something. The front wheel is now slightly looser than it was. It's not wobbling or anything... but is it dangerous if it's not as tight as can be?

If I went to another bike shop, how much would it cost for them to fix the gears and sort out the brakes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I really dont understand how these guys dont get any better with practice. But i suppose there is no standard for knocking out the bikes. My sister bought a bike recently, and i had to convince them to let me take it flatpacked so i could set up gears and brakes for her myself.

Lothaar, now is a great time to practice. you cant really mess things up more than halfords did, so go to http://www.parktool.com/repair/ and browse through that. the brakes and gears are an easy enough job if you know what you are doing, and that is a great guide. And if your try all this and arent happy with the results, then drop it into a bike shop.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have disc brakes on the front and normal brakes on the back. It's the back ones that are rubbing. Actually, I stopped on the way home yesterday and adjusted my front wheel, as the disc was also rubbing against something. The front wheel is now slightly looser than it was. It's not wobbling or anything... but is it dangerous if it's not as tight as can be?
    Hard to tell exactly but yes, a loose front wheel would sound dangerous to me. Presuming it's a V-Brake on the back, they are quite easy to adjust- if it's rubbing you may just need to release the cable tension a bit- this is generally done with an adjusting barrel on the brake lever. Alternatively if that isn't enough you can undo the allen key holding the cable, let out some slack (should only need a very small amount) and tighten back up the allen key. Some more info here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html
    http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-v-brakes/
    If I went to another bike shop, how much would it cost for them to fix the gears and sort out the brakes??
    I would imagine in the region of €10-15 although some bike shops don't like to work on Halfords bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I bought the bike in Halfords, Blanch SC, which is my local bike shop.
    I live near enough to Blanch SC. If you could pop over my way tomorrow night I could probably sort the brakes. I'll PM contact info.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Little tip if you are removing/inserting your front wheel - flip the bike over first and insert the wheel with the handlebars straight (i.e. perpendicular to the frame). This ensures that the wheel sits fully into the dropouts and is balanced, thanks to gravity.. If you put it in with the bike the right way up, it's easy to have the bike leaning ever so slightly to the right or left, which screws with your brake alignment as well as your steering.

Advertisement