Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bees nest ground based

• 22-07-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello all ,i have just discovered a ground based bees nest in my garden and so has my dog who is now intent on trying to catch the bees ,now worried that by annoying the bees they will swarm on her and attack to defend the nest,she is an outdoor dog any advice on how to solve this issue would be very welcome thank you all very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's in the ground, they're most likely some species of bumble bee which are pretty non-aggressive creatures on the whole, and I'm pretty sure they don't swarm either. We have quite a few bumble bees in our garden every year, and our two cats try and catch them regularly, especially when the queens emerge from their hibernation in the spring and are quite dozy, and we've never had any trouble in that regard.

Also I'm not sure but I believe they're a protected species in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

First thing is to decide what kind of "bee" it is. It sounds like a bumble bee but you should really confirm this. If it's Bumble bees then just leave them alone. The dog won't cause a swarm and they are protected (and getting scarce) so delight in having them around.

Advertisement