Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead paint test kit?

• 22-07-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone know where I can get a kit to test for the presence of lead in old paint?

I'm doing a job on a wooden floor - lifted the carpet which is 30+ years old, and there's paint around the edge of the room that must date back even further, so there's a good chance it contains lead.

Don't want to kick up a bunch of lead dust and fumes with an industrial sander if it's as harmful as the web pages on the subject suggest, but don't want to have to do it all by chemical stripping if it doesn't.

B&Q list test kit on their web site made by Nitromors, but are out of stock. Phoned the manufacturer, and they stopped making it a year ago.

Any suggestions appreciated - Dublin area preferable, but I'll take any options!

Thanks,
    Matt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ps200306

Bumping this old thread. I also am looking for a lead paint testing kit. I want to strip gloss paint from 60 year old door frames. Anyone know where I can find one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I sanded my door trims and skirting in November before a full repaint job and just used a decent dust mask. Had a vacuum attached to the RIGID BELT SANDER. It was time consuming .......... 10 door opes both sides and about 450' of skirting. The timber house is over 100 years old and had loads of layers. Very strict building code here and the seller has to disclose.
    But everything looks great now :)

Advertisement