Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your own workshop

Options
  • 22-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So I'm planning on getting myself a workstand and probably wheel turning station and some tools, those are few of my choices:

PT PCS11
    PT PCS10
    Elite Spindoctor Race Workstand
    PT PRS20

wheel turning station I think one of those two, but not sure what's the difference between them except price:

Minoura 1
    Minoura 2

Now tools, I was thinking about maybe PT kit but they seem to be quite expensive. So maybe it's better idea to go to hardware store and get something from there ? Would quality of those tools be similar to one's from the kits available in bicycle stores ? Would it be a good idea to see what sort of tools are included in one of toolkits and just try to get them in hardware stores or just go with expensive but good toolkit ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/LifeLine_Professional_Tool_Kit/5360031530/

A hardware store won't have the bike specific tools you'll need for maintenance/building.

Perhaps best to start off small ? Get the tools you need as you go, maybe start with one of the smaller cases.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/LifeLine_Workshop_Tool_Kit/5360031531/

I got a lidl version of that toolkit. It has everything I've needed so far for bike maintenance. Wheels can be tru'd reasonable well using the bike's fork.

Then again, if you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, go parktool all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd recommend buying the best tools you can afford gradually and build up a good set over months / years. Of course if you have the cash to spare a Park tool set would be a good investment. Things like allen-keys, hammers, wrenches etc. aren't bike specific so you could probably get something just as good in a hardware store.

The first Minoura stand looks a bit sturdier and comes with a dishing gauge (which you'll need).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

One thing I'll say is if you're getting allen keys, get the type with a 'ball' end on one side -invaluable for hard to access bolts on your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I've read around a bit about the Minoura truing stands and they seem to be pretty ropey for doing anything but basic truing but not for any amount of wheel building

This morning i bit the bullet and ordered these from CRC:

X-Tools Workshop Prep Stand - £29.99
    . This is identical to the BBB one which generally goes for £49.99.

I used the cheap workstand to justify the expense of the Pedros Precision Wheel Truing Stand at £99.99 This is currently out of stock but I'm not in a huge rush.

I've also recently bought this toolkit which seems to be pretty well put together - only had cause to use the chainwhip and cassette wrench to date. It can be had rebadged on ebay for less but when you add in the postage from the ebay seller then it works out even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Those two wheel stands made by Minoura seems to be handy as all it takes is just putting them on the table. I don't have a garage unfortunately.

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    Those two wheel stands made by Minoura seems to be handy as all it takes is just putting them on the table. I don't have a garage unfortunately.

I used to think that but as I see more pictures they just look flimsy to me. I based my purchase on this review:

http://twentynineinches.com/2005/12/21/keeping-things-straight/

It's a few years old but none of the models have changed particularly in that time.

The cheaper minoura is to be definitely avoided as the pointers slide rather that screw in and out although I think it is the stand used in this hack job under a different name:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-precision-bicycle-wheel-truing-stand-for-l/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think Morgan's advice is worth listening to. The problem with buying a toolkit is that its a big outlay and may contain stuff you'll never need.

I've a big collection of tools that I've built up slowly over the years. I usually buy tools on a per job basis, i.e. if I'm installing something new I'd get all the tools I'd need just for that.

A workstand is a very good idea. I held off too long myself on getting one. It really is worth the money in terms of how easier it makes things.

I have a Minoura wheel truing stand. Not sure which model is. Don't have any complaints with it.

By the sounds of it, you're planning on building your new bike?

Well I think I might try to build a fixie. Then when I get bit of experience I'll build my dream bike. But most of all, Ive been cleaning my bike recently and it's so annoying when you struggle alone with it and stand would be so usefull. Alse I find that type of activity (fixing, cleaning etc.) very enjoyable. So I guess spending few euros on proper workstand and tools is smth I should aim for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well I think I might try to build a fixie. Then when I get bit of experience I'll build my dream bike. But most of all, Ive been cleaning my bike recently and it's so annoying when you struggle alone with it and stand would be so usefull. Alse I find that type of activity (fixing, cleaning etc.) very enjoyable. So I guess spending few euros on proper workstand and tools is smth I should aim for anyway.
    you can clean my bike any tiem you want if you find it that enjoyable :P

I'm also in the hunt for a stand (well on next payday). Myself and a friend are quite new to cycling so we mentioned we might buy and share so we go 50/50 on things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A fixie might be a good place to start since it's a little more straightforward. I love working on my bike too, but hate cleaning it. I always joke with my wife that when we do have children, they'll learn at an early age that the best way to get pocket money is to wash Daddy's bike.

• Advertisement

stuf wrote: »

X-Tools Workshop Prep Stand - £29.99
    . This is identical to the BBB one which generally goes for £49.99.

Just used my cheapy workstand for the first time and it does all I need. It holds the bike securely by resting on the bottom bracket and clamping the down tube and there's guides to keep the front wheel in line.

The saddle is at my chin level (I'm 6'1") so there'll still be a bit of bending over to be done but all in all I can't justify a better-featured stand with what I need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Your link was wrong- this is the right one: X-Tools Workshop Prep Stand - £29.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would have to say in general though buy the best tools you can afford (with the best being Park). I had a BBB chain tool which I broke without any force at all. Replaced it with a Park Tools one and the difference is immense.

Also recommend buying tools as you go along.

After all my bleating for the Pedros truing stand and against the Minoura, I've cancelled my order for the Pedros (CRC taking too long and not able to give a timeline) and ordered a Minoura from here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=821&setCurrency=2

The updated version is self centring so should do what I want. Will report back in due course once my hub seller gets his arse in gear and sends me a paypal invoice.

My fixie's taking shape - woohooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hey folks,

So I'm planning on getting myself a workstand and probably wheel turning station and some tools, those are few of my choices:

PT PCS11
    PT PCS10
    Elite Spindoctor Race Workstand
    PT PRS20

wheel turning station I think one of those two, but not sure what's the difference between them except price:

Minoura 1
    Minoura 2

Now tools, I was thinking about maybe PT kit but they seem to be quite expensive. So maybe it's better idea to go to hardware store and get something from there ? Would quality of those tools be similar to one's from the kits available in bicycle stores ? Would it be a good idea to see what sort of tools are included in one of toolkits and just try to get them in hardware stores or just go with expensive but good toolkit ?

thanks

I'd go for the PCS11 if you can afford, Although Slane cycles seems cheapest on the net:

http://www.slanecycles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=1704&subid=379&catid=74

I have the 2nd Minoura you have listed and its more then good enough for home use, in fact its too good for home use especially if your only building / truing the odd wheel. I think the main difference between both of them is the dishing tool which is used to off-set the rear wheel.

Go with el-tonto's advise about buying the tools as you need them, works for me as well.

So my stand should be here shortly. Price is 150e with free shipping. Just need to wait 1-2 days. Thanks for info!

I think the main difference between both of them is the dishing tool which is used to off-set the rear wheel.

The second minoura's guides slide rather than screw so there is less accuracy. The replacement version of the minoura pro is self-centring but can be bought with and without the dishing tool although with self-centring the dishing tool is a bit redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I finally took the plunge as well and ordered the PCS11 from Slane Cycles... €20 cheaper than CRC.

Just arrived an hour ago PCS11. What can I say. It's great. Big, solid not too heavy. Already tested on road and cross bike. Everything's stable. Height of the stand can be easily adjusted as well as piece that holds bike. It can be rotated so you can get it positioned the way you want. Another words it's brilliant. It's more than I need, will last life time. Only thing is bit hard rubber that I think may scratch frame a bit, might think bout something to protect the paint. Besides this very good choice, really worth the money paid. Will try to get some pictures soon.

Readers of this thread may be interested in the Lifeline Spindoctor Deluxe which is on special from Wiggle, this week only. Buy it with something else costing 1p or more to get it for £44.99.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/LifeLine_Spin_Doctor_Deluxe_Workstand/5360009217/

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Readers of this thread may be interested in the Lifeline Spindoctor Deluxe which is on special from Wiggle, this week only. Buy it with something else costing 1p or more to get it for £44.99.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/LifeLine_Spin_Doctor_Deluxe_Workstand/5360009217/

I looked at that the other day - the price for Irish delivery is more expensive because of the vat thing - think it works out at about £53

stuf wrote: »
    I looked at that the other day - the price for Irish delivery is more expensive because of the vat thing - think it works out at about £53
    Ah yes, that is very annoying actually as it means it no longer qualifies for the "Basket Saver" extra 10% off (as it goes over £50 with the Irish VAT added.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just ordered it (about 5 mins ago!) -the wiggle one

Advertisement