Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspension fork - 80 or 100 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

From what I remember (its been a few years since I worked on an Axel) they were very very easy to work on. Changing the travel from 80mm to 100mm was simply a matter of opening the fork and changing the position of a metal spacer on a rod attached to the stanchions. 10 minute job, if you've got any inclination towards bike mechanics at all. Give everything a good clean while you're in there too.

As for why you should and shouldn't do it, you need to judge whether jacking the front end of your bike up by 20mm more is going to make a difference to your riding. (It will definitely affect the geometry of the bike, but it may or may not bring it outside of what works/is comfortable for you) That 20mm WILL be very noticeable. If the bike is designed around an 80mm fork, I'd be tempted to leave it at that.

You are correct in saying that rebound adjustment affects how quickly the fork re-extends. You need to find the sweet spot somewhere between the fork pogoing back upwards very quickly, and it packing down completely, where you will run into trouble if you encounter multiple bumps.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks for that, I found a better manual after going through mtbr.com, so taking it apart looks fairly straightforward. I'll give it a lash this weekend and see if I notice any difference.

Advertisement