Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on Keane & Berbs & general gossip

Options
  • 22-07-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Posted by the Goat on Spurs Community. Take it or leave it.
    Quite an update from me today and a few interesting bits, although some go against the general consensus so we'll have to see.

First of to confirm some news that is already doing the rounds. We are definitely in negoatiations with Villa, Pavlychenko and Arshavin. Personally I thought the Villa talk was just dreaming but it seems that's not the case and we're serious about it.

David Bentley is a bit more unclear but I assume that The Scout would have the inside track on that one. It doesn't look like it's wrapped up yet though from what we heard.

One thing to say here though. We are 100% certain that there is absolutely no need for the club to sell before we can buy. There is no "budget" and Ramos will get what he wants however much it costs us. By the same token, if Ramos doesn't want a player then they're gone, fairly clinical and no room for sentiment.

Keane and Berbatov are both in spain and are both happily training. There's no sulking and Keane is still currently vice captain. Now here I know that there's a rumour that Keane's having a medical at Liverpool tomorrow and we'll double-check if we can whether Keane is still out there but at the minute we understand he is.

Interestingly about Keane, the new corporate brochure was released today and guess who's plastered over the front cover? To add to this even further, there's a full page dedicated to Steed inside. We've been told that the club are certainly not stupid enough to make an error like that when it comes to it's marketing especially given the publicity over Keane. Read into that what you will...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

yiddo wrote: »
    Posted by the Goat on Spurs Community. Take it or leave it.

Surly the magazine pics and stories were done weeks ago - you could hardly pull them - I don't think anyone thought bids would be coming in for Keane or steed! I wouldn't read anything into that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No budget? there is always a budget even for Chelsea.

No club like Spurs could have Berbs, Keane and Villa as first choice strikers. Way too much money sat on the bench at any one time.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

id like to think most of that was true but i find it hard to believe. Why would we be sniffing after villa and the russians if robbie and berba are happily in love with THFC.

Catch 22, do we try keep them both and start the season with 2 disgruntled players or just let them have there way and sell them and start with 2 or 3 new foreign lads who may take time to adapt to the league. Mind you, the 2 russians and villa would'nt be bad replacements would they.

Id still love Albelda ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »
    id like to think most of that was true but i find it hard to believe. Why would we be sniffing after villa and the russians if robbie and berba are happily in love with THFC.

In fairness the amount of players that clubs look at and enquire about is just a small fraction of the ones that they end actually signing. Let's say we signed Villa don't you think that might tempt Berbs to stay?

yiddo wrote: »
    In fairness the amount of players that clubs look at and enquire about is just a small fraction of the ones that they end actually signing. Let's say we signed Villa don't you think that might tempt Berbs to stay?

To be honest, probably not no. Berba wants to play Champions League football and win some major trophies. Us signing Villa would'nt change that as far as im concerned.

• Advertisement

To be honest, probably not no. Berba wants to play Champions League football and win some major trophies. Us signing Villa would'nt change that as far as im concerned.

I agree, I don't think it matters who we bring in now, I think the point is and always was, he wants to play CL football this season, and whats to be guaranteed it every year - a club like manure can offer that, we can't!

The same goes for Robbie now, we have promised and dangled that allusive carrot for many years in front of Robbie and come up short, who's to say we won't do the same this year - alright Pool ain't as big as Manure, and can't "guarantee" CL football for the future, but they can guarantee he will play this year, and they have done reasonably well in the competition wouldn't you say!

All these things go against them both staying IMO - they also go against a player like Villa coming to Tottenham, so it won't happen.

We have to be content with "possibilities" and "potentials" players like Modric and Dos Santos! I think we could set our sites on, and also the best player I think we can get with our system, RSC - Come on Rocky, you know it makes sense!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

Not quite firsthand but some friends who are Liverpool supporters were talking to ex-Liverpool players, and asked them about Keane, Barry, and Villa. Their (ex-Liverpool players) knowledge/opinion of the situation was that Keane was not going to happen, the Barry deal should have been completed at this stage but would go ahead, and that David Villa was the other major signing that Liverpool were serious about. They were not too complimentary about Benitez.

I can't see why Keane after fighting off alternative strikers for the last 6 years at Spurs would give up now when he's one of the top dogs, in line to join the top all time Spurs goalscorers, a Spurs legend in the making, and leave to sit on Benitez' bench. Short of Ramos wanting to get Keane out of the way so that he can impose his own style more freely, I can't see Keane's four year contract being sold.

seanson wrote: »
    Not quite firsthand but some friends who are Liverpool supporters were talking to ex-Liverpool players, and asked them about Keane, Barry, and Villa. Their (ex-Liverpool players) knowledge/opinion of the situation was that Keane was not going to happen, the Barry deal should have been completed at this stage but would go ahead, and that David Villa was the other major signing that Liverpool were serious about. They were not too complimentary about Benitez.

I can't see why Keane after fighting off alternative strikers for the last 6 years at Spurs would give up now when he's one of the top dogs, in line to join the top all time Spurs goalscorers, a Spurs legend in the making, and leave to sit on Benitez' bench. Short of Ramos wanting to get Keane out of the way so that he can impose his own style more freely, I can't see Keane's four year contract being sold.

If what you are saying about Villa is true this is all a mute point - however if not, I see a really good reason for Keane to go to Liverpool - to play CL football "this year" and I would disagree that if he went to Liverpool, he would be on the bench, who is ahead of him, voranin? If this Villa thing is rubbish (and I think it is) then Keane will go, he will play upfront with Torres, and he will continue to score goals, in the EPL and the CL - and probably become a Liverpool legend!

THIS is what Keane has fought for all these years, not the lilywhite shirt, if you think that, you have forgotten what modern football is all about. I wish you were right about Keane, but your not.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

John W wrote: »
    If what you are saying about Villa is true this is all a mute point - however if not, I see a really good reason for Keane to go to Liverpool - to play CL football "this year" and I would disagree that if he went to Liverpool, he would be on the bench, who is ahead of him, voranin? If this Villa thing is rubbish (and I think it is) then Keane will go, he will play upfront with Torres, and he will continue to score goals, in the EPL and the CL - and probably become a Liverpool legend!

THIS is what Keane has fought for all these years, not the lilywhite shirt, if you think that, you have forgotten what modern football is all about. I wish you were right about Keane, but your not.:P

If Benitez is mad enough to leave Torres on the bench then he's mad enough to leave Keane on the bench. Keane has looked pretty happy at Spurs for the last few years despite the speculation every year. Unless Ramos wants to offload him then he's not going anywhere. Having signed a longterm contract it's not up to Keane to say where he will play but he does appear to have reported contact from Liverpool to Levy and as a professional footballer, Liverpool would be one of the few clubs a player of his ability would consider leaving Spurs for. Especially so if he feels that Ramos does not see him as one of his key strikers. At the end of the day Liverpool are not that flush with money and will not be able to afford what Spurs should expect from a proven 20 goals per season striker that is contracted until 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Keane has gone true many a bad patch with spurs, not scoring for weeks on end but was always first choice striker. i cant see rafa leaving him do the same without benching him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

seanson wrote: »
    If Benitez is mad enough to leave Torres on the bench then he's mad enough to leave Keane on the bench.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

wat the **** are you talking about?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

He's talking about Benitez' rotation policy I presume?
    It's well documented that he left Torres on the bench on numerous occasions over the course of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

wat the **** are you talking about?!

Obviously he's talking about rafa's rotation policy.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    He's talking about Benitez' rotation policy I presume?
    It's well documented that he left Torres on the bench on numerous occasions over the course of the season.

ah my little stalker friend.

how often did Rafa rotate Torres last year? I can think of wat, maybe once?twice? three times?

Rafa rotates less that Ferguson,Wenger and actually most other managers in the PL.

stop taking eveything spoon fed to you from Sky as gospel people. they make fools of themselves time and time again. and yous are doing that too by rehashing their same old tired untruths.

Keane would play almost as often at Liverpool as he did/would at Spurs, in fact, considering Liverpool would be expecting to go further in most cups, and also have the CL, he would probably be playing more.

so stop with your ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Not quite,

Just an opinion, but, Keane in the last season was 100% guaranteed his place, for god sake he take the captains armband for most of the season. I doubt anybody would argue either that he didn't deserve that.

If they get Keane, I dont honestly see Keane getting as much opportunity to start.

This is probably a moot point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

When the United fan stops goading the Liverpool fan we'll get back on topic thanks very much.

tippspur wrote: »
    Keane has gone true many a bad patch with spurs, not scoring for weeks on end but was always first choice striker. i cant see rafa leaving him do the same without benching him.

Do you remember when Crouch first moved to Liverpool by any chance?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Do you remember when Crouch first moved to Liverpool by any chance?:confused:
    Don't know what you mean by that,Crouch was one of the most benched players ye had :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crouchy did not score for Liverpool until his 20th game I think but he was picked week in week out, that Mr Alans reference.

Mike.

tippspur wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean by that,Crouch was one of the most benched players ye had :confused:

Not in his first season. he played week in week out, despite not scoring for 19 games.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Crouchy did not score for Liverpool until his 20th game I think but he was picked week in week out, that Mr Alans reference.

Mike.

thanks mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Heard on today fm that Keane is joining Liverpool in a few days in an 18million deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

flyswatter wrote: »
    Heard on today fm that Keane is joining Liverpool in a few days in an 18million deal.

Looks like you are right,

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/keane-pockets-836425m-windfall-in-anfield-move-1441773.html

spurs.gif

From Tony Barrett in the Liverpool Echo, which is usually the most accurate in its reporting of deals.
    ROBBIE KEANE today completed his medical - edging the striker ever closer to sealing a £20m move to Anfield.

The Irish international arrived in Liverpool last night and was booked in for a series of tests at a Merseyside hospital.

A fee of £18m with add ons of up to £2m has been agreed with Spurs and terms have been agreed with the player.

Liverpool had been looking to tie up the deal early last week but the transfer was held up as Tottenham looked to find a replacement for the White Hart Lane crowd favourite.

Keane, a boyhood Liverpool fan, is desperate to complete the move and once the formalities of the medical are completed the 28-year-old striker should get his wish.

Though Keane’s arrival would make him the second most expensive player ever signed by Liverpool – only Fernando Torres has cost more – it will not stop Rafa Benitez from pursuing his interest in Gareth Barry.

Despite suggestions from Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill that Liverpool are losing interest in the England midfielder, Benitez’s interest in Barry has never wavered.

Why did anyone think this move was in doubt?

:confused:

Great money couldnt turn 20m down. Carling cup might be the only trophy keane wins for a while after all the last time pool won a trophy was 2006.:

BERBA wrote: »
    Great money couldnt turn 20m down. Carling cup might be the only trophy keane wins for a while after all the last time pool won a trophy was 2006.:

Recklessone: are you the only one with any sense on here? or is everyone else on this subforum silly enough to get into a debate about trophy hauls against Liverpool fans?

Keane has more of a chance of winning silverware being at Liverpool, this is an undeniable fact. Probably mean more to him being a Liverpool fan as well.

Just spoke to one of Robbie's relations, he signed the forms this morning, just waiting on the press release now.

p.s. Alan, fcuk off.

Just spoke to one of Robbie's relations, he signed the forms this morning, just waiting on the press release now.

p.s. Alan, fcuk off.

Gentle reminder, fans of other clubs are allowed post on here and I'd ask that they be treated courteously.

That's barring Goons. They can fcuk right off...;)

Recklessone: are you the only one with any sense on here? or is everyone else on this subforum silly enough to get into a debate about trophy hauls against Liverpool fans?

Keane has more of a chance of winning silverware being at Liverpool, this is an undeniable fact. Probably mean more to him being a Liverpool fan as well.

Al, I'm off out to work right now, but I'll comment later tonight.

• Advertisement

Typical answer , trophy haul my ar$e ,chri$t ye've never won the premiership!!!. Don't think theres any other club that would've paid 20m for keano. Gimme a break , just stating fact , the last trophy pool won was the fa cup in 2006. Pool are light years away from ever winning the premiership. all ye pool fans are dillusional. We sell keano and get a couple of either arshavin bentley capel and villa ....happy days.

Advertisement