Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on Keane & Berbs & general gossip

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Hatch99 wrote: »
    p.s. Alan, fcuk off.

He was at the same in the Villa thread over the Barry transfer saga. I believe they used those exact words themselves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

BERBA wrote: »
    Typical answer , trophy haul my ar$e ,chri$t ye've never won the premiership!!!. Don't think theres any other club that would've paid 20m for keano. Gimme a break , just stating fact , the last trophy pool won was the fa cup in 2006. Pool are light years away from ever winning the premiership. all ye pool fans are dillusional. We sell keano and get a couple of either arshavin bentley capel and villa ....happy days.

Agree 100%

No other club would have paid that much for Keane.

I really hope Spurs buy a better striker than Keane with the money, and pass Liverpoor out this season:). Would be sweeter than winning the Premiership again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well if Chelsea were interested they probably would. Otherwise theres ManU, who if they wanted him would, but have Rooney and Tevez already in that style of footballer so of course wouldn't pay it. Arsenal also have plenty of options up front in Adebayor, Eduardo and Van Persie, and couldn't spend that much on anyone anyway. Meanwhile in terms of top notch forwards, liverpool only have Torres, so Keane is worth more to Liverpool then he is to the other clubs. Simple enough really.

Im not sure why people are saying liverpool fans are delusional and saying we'll never win the prem, i didn't see a single comment saying we would...so who does that make having the delusions? What was actually said, was that Liverpool have the better chance of silverware. Which is a fair enough comment.

Anyway, this is a good move for both teams, and the player. Spurs get loads of cash, Pool get a proven premiership striker who is also a pool fan, and Keane gets to play for the club he always followed as well as getting to play in the champions league and pocketing in or abouts 1.8mill for the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hopefully we'll tie up Arshavin now. Keane was a good stand in captain but that's good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Kold wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll tie up Arshavin now. Keane was a good stand in captain but that's good money.

If ArseShavin gets 23 goals in all competitions it is good money - but I doubt he will to be honest - might turn out to be a better goal scorer than Keane in the long run, but it would be a big gamble.

I think if I would have had the choice (but I doubt Spurs did as Keane told them he wanted to go) I would have kept Keano over ArseShavin!

I will be keeping a close eye on who ever we bring in and Keane this season to see who does better - my money is on Keane!:rolleyes:

Hard to just go out and buy a player who will get you 23 goals a season with 13 in the EPL!;) these days for 18m!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Personally I'm gutted to see him go. He's the one top player we had that I'd have bet my house on not leaving the club. I see where he's coming from though - dream club, bumper pay packet, CL footie - everything he wanted from Spurs.

I know he'll more than likely win more with Liverpool, but I think he'll spend more time on the bench than he would have with Spurs, so in terms of playing time it may not be the best move. Still, hard and all as it is, I wish him the best, and nothing would be sweeter this season than the replace him with someone better and overtake Liverpool into 4th place this season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Just seen Keano signing pool shirts for kids on SSN,am gutted even though i know it is good money. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

SuprSi wrote: »
    Personally I'm gutted to see him go. He's the one top player we had that I'd have bet my house on not leaving the club. I see where he's coming from though - dream club, bumper pay packet, CL footie - everything he wanted from Spurs.

I know he'll more than likely win more with Liverpool, but I think he'll spend more time on the bench than he would have with Spurs, so in terms of playing time it may not be the best move. Still, hard and all as it is, I wish him the best, and nothing would be sweeter this season than the replace him with someone better and overtake Liverpool into 4th place this season!!
    one thing would be sweeter....to overtake the gunners for 4th place,but i agree with everything else you said.He is some loss to us,i thought he'd never leave and im not convinced by the Russian yet.Torres and Keane will be lethal together just wait and see.i applaud Liverpool for having the balls to go for it.our lot would rather the money.some of ye are so gullible to agent spin and should have more 'cop on'.players,agents and club directors will feed any line they like to justify their dealings.If Robbie Keane had supported say Wolves or Leeds when he was young do any of you think he'd go running to them? He would in my Bollo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Keano gone. 19 million. Sick.:(

Gutted aswell loss of a great player,lets hope ramos has a world class replacement lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ah well, the end of an era.sick as well.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Gutted. We've lost one of our best players over the last few years. I think him and Torres will be lethal together.

Personally, I cant blame him for wanting to go to Liverpool. It is his boyhood club afterall, plus he'll be getting CL and a massive pay increase, bonuses etc., no doubt.

Berbs will be out next and as things stand with our current squad, I'm a little concerned.

RichMc70 wrote: »

Berbs will be out next and as things stand with our current squad, I'm a little concerned.

Looks that way since he is not even a sub tonight expect him to leave this week. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

pvt.joker wrote: »
    He was at the same in the Villa thread over the Barry transfer saga. I believe they used those exact words themselves :D

That has absolutely no relevance to this forum.

Consider this a warning, if you use this forum to continue some petty vendetta you have against another poster I will have no problem banning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Typical answer , trophy haul my ar$e ,chri$t ye've never won the premiership!!!.

Eh, nor have we...:confused:

I'm all for honest debate, but since the PL began the Mickeys have won 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, a Champions League and a Uefa Cup. They've been runners-up in the PL once, the FA Cup once, the League Cup once and the CL once. We've managed three League Cup finals, winning two. We still lose the pissing match.

Don't think theres any other club that would've paid 20m for keano.

I think it's a great bit of business, which is why I can't understand the response of some of our fans...him leaving is not the end of the world, yes he will go some way towards strengthening the one side we are most likely to need to displace to make the top 4, but we'll get sufficient cover and the balance of our side will adjust to see our midfield score more goals IMO.

I also think Robbie will run hot and cold at Anfield if he doesn't start as many games as possible, and I can definitely see him seeing more bench at Liverpool than he would at Spurs (If for no reason other than I think Benitez will be more likely to alter his tactics to suit circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,306 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a Liverpool fan, I'd just like to note that (imo obviously) Spurs have handled themselves admirably with the Keane transfer. Noting your concerns in relation to the possibility of "tapping up" is obviously within the club's prerogative - but thereafter facilitating the desire of a player who gave you great service for a reasonable amount of money shows class and good business sense.

I am over the moon for us to get Keane. I felt he was the best player at your club in terms of what he gave you on an overall level (yes Berbatov has more of a "wow" factor). It's a big loss for you guys, but I'm sure the money can be put to good use and Ramos has you going in the right direction. The fact that it weakens our most viable long term challengers for a place in the top four in the coming years is another huge positive point for us. Good luck with the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Robbie Keane has been a fantastic servant of the club and I (and I hope toher fans) wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dats_right wrote: »
    Robbie Keane has been a fantastic servant of the club and I (and I hope toher fans) wish him all the best.

+1 i really hope he gets a good reception at WHL next season, Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

ziedth wrote: »
    +1 i really hope he gets a good reception at WHL next season, Best of luck to him

Me too, though I can't see it happening judging by the comments of quite a few Spurs fans on other message boards.

Me too, though I can't see it happening judging by the comments of quite a few Spurs fans on other message boards.

I don't think Robbie is helping himself with some of the comments he's been giving since joining Liverpool.

A few comments from his interview on LFC Official Website:

Why is now the right time to come to Liverpool? "Because the opportunity came along. You know, Liverpool came in for me and it was something I always dreamed about as a kid. I am at the stage now where I want to kick on a bit and win a lot of trophies. I believe that Liverpool can do that with the squad of players we have".

Was the lure of the Champions League a big factor? "I have only played in Champions League qualifiers before but, you know, it's the whole package. I have always wanted to come here but, yes, the Champions League and being able to win things is a major factor".

You scored two against us last year – was that strange, as a Liverpool fan? "It is difficult. I support Liverpool but you have to blank that out of your mind. It was nice to score at the Kop end but now I am looking forward to scoring at the Kop end in a red shirt".

I don't think he's deliberately trying to rub it in, but he'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut. He is deluded if he thinks he'll win lots of trophies with Liverpool although I admit he has a better chance with them than with us, at this moment in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

I wouldn't read too much into it tbh. The reception that Robbie got from the general Spurs support was always way in excess of what you'd expect it to be when reading the various message boards.
    I don't think Robbie is helping himself with some of the comments he's been giving since joining Liverpool.

Why is now the right time to come to Liverpool? "Because the opportunity came along. You know, Liverpool came in for me and it was something I always dreamed about as a kid. I am at the stage now where I want to kick on a bit and win a lot of trophies. I believe that Liverpool can do that with the squad of players we have".

Was the lure of the Champions League a big factor? "I have only played in Champions League qualifiers before but, you know, it's the whole package. I have always wanted to come here but, yes, the Champions League and being able to win things is a major factor".

You scored two against us last year – was that strange, as a Liverpool fan? "It is difficult. I support Liverpool but you have to blank that out of your mind. It was nice to score at the Kop end but now I am looking forward to scoring at the Kop end in a red shirt".

I don't think he's deliberately trying to rub it in, but he'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut. He is deluded if he thinks he'll win lots of trophies with Liverpool although I admit he has a better chance with them than with us, at this moment in time.

He's just saying the right things for the supporters of his new club. Nothing in it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I personally dont see anything wrong in what he has said here, yes of course you want to examine he use of words extensively he said "more" but the fact is he was a liverpool fan his whole life and noone can say he didn't give his all every week unlike that other sulk,

And its a pretty obvious he just using the footballers code when joining a new club to talk about "red jersey"/fancy football/tradition i believe he used the latter two when he joined us, was that a dig at leeds or wolves? def not he has always said how much he loves it down there and never celebrated when he scored against them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nothing wrong with that interview. Don't think he's taking the p!ss out of Spurs at all.
    And to say he's deluded in thinking he'll win lots of trophies?? There's not many teams, if at all, who have won more trophies than Liverpool this century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

monkey9 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that interview. Don't think he's taking the p!ss out of Spurs at all.
    And to say he's deluded in thinking he'll win lots of trophies?? There's not many teams, if at all, who have won more trophies than Liverpool this century.

I think it is Liverpool's fault (and maybe Keane's) for doing this now - could have waited a couple of weeks before letting us know that we were just a stepping stone! he (they) had no reason to do this now, but to rub our noses in it. The whole thing has made me sick to be honest and the sooner preseason is over the better,

Don't look good for this season I am afraid, just to many new players coming in - we could end up with 7 new start from last season, just o many to think of gelling this year...........:rolleyes:oh well

monkey9 wrote: »

I don't think he's taking the piss but "winning lot's of trophies" is something Liverpool did in the seventies and eighties. Now days they're just a cup side but a cup side decent enough to just scrape into the top four and therefore qualify for a devalued 'Champions League'.

I think if either Liverpool or Keane had any class they'd have just kept stum, at least for a few weeks.

Levy has not been an angel himself in the past (e.g. BMJ) however on this occasion I think he's made a fair point about his view on how this deal came about and the way the parties involved have behaved.

Advertisement