Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festival Beers

• 22-07-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I'm off to Electric Picnic at the end of august.

glass bottles are not allowed on the campsite.

festival attendees are allowed to bring a quantity of cans for personal comsumption onto the campsite.

last year I brought a case of Cobra which was both very drinkable and very good value.

Its no longer available in my local .

has anyone any recommendations for canned beers to sample in advance of the Picnic ?

thanks in advance,

gollem
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tough call, what with canned beers on the Irish market being mostly rubbish and all.

Newkie Brown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you could do far worse than prazky (hope i spelt it right) it's like six for 7euro in most places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bavaria is a good beer, cheap too, also prazsky is quite good or Fosters. Heineken is also nice if it can be picked up cheaply aswell...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Lech

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jems

the best really is to bring ale (extra smooth is better) like John Smiths, Tetley or the like. This can be drank easy when warm so a festie fave.
    However you might need to go north of the border in search as these ales are hard, nigh impossible to come by here. i brought home boxes whilst over at glasto in preparation for the picnic. its just so much better than warm beer.
    obviously this may not be a possible option but maybe you could find something similar that ive not come across.
    newcastle brown is available here anyway.

• Advertisement

Jems wrote: »
    the best really is to bring ale (extra smooth is better) like John Smiths, Tetley or the like. This can be drank easy when warm so a festie fave.
    Have you tried this? The instructions on widget can tend to be pretty specific about how long you have to chill them before opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I find cider quiet nice to bring as it's sweet taste is bit better when it's warm compaired to warm beer.

Nukey Brown... ugh, myself and a few friends have had the worst hangover ever from it, so bad it went passed a hangover and in to it's own special category, a brownover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Guinness Extra Stout

BeerNut wrote: »
    Have you tried this? The instructions on widget can tend to be pretty specific about how long you have to chill them before opening.

I have indeed. I don't see any such instructions apart from 'do no shake' which is pretty standard for any can! (have 32 beside me here :D)

its fine not chilled, widget still works. obviously you need to bring a cup of some sort. a pack of 10 light plastic pint glasses are about €7. and at EP you can buy an eco cup which last forever. I still have 2 from last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Did anyone see the new Carlsberg pint bottle, I presume that they have created it for gigs etc. I had a couple at the Carlsberg comedy thing, the quality of the beer was good. It seems a logical enough idea, I am suprised that no one else has done this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 aidofitz

I'm off to Electric Picnic at the end of august.

last year I brought a case of Cobra which was both very drinkable and very good value.

Hey anyone know if you can get cobra cans still, and if so where?

Jems wrote: »
    I have indeed. I don't see any such instructions apart from 'do no shake' which is pretty standard for any can! (have 32 beside me here :D)

its fine not chilled
    Ahem:
    kilkenny.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

aidofitz wrote: »
    Hey anyone know if you can get cobra cans still, and if so where?

they were nice weren't they ?

I haven't seen them in months sorry.

will keep an eye out for them.

my quest for the perfect festival beer is no more .. I had to sell my tickets :(

thanks for all the replies.

wasn't crazy about canned Newcastle Brown ale.
    canned Budvar isn't bad though and there seems to be good availability ( superquinn and costcutter both sell it )

Thats nice beernut. But ive not been drinking Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale! In ideal conditions maybe its the best but ideally you should shower daily too which doesnt happen at festivals!!

And in practice its a different thing. I was just at Green Man festival in Wales and a healthy stock of Tetleys Smooth saved my weekend!! as the only lager of choice on offer was Tuborg :eek: which is just as bad as Bud.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ahem:
    kilkenny.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Showerings have tapped into the festival market and have released Bulmers 33cl plastic long neck bottles. They are perfect for concerts, festivals, day trips, etc. They will retail at around €€2.30-€2.40. i've had them and there's no difference in taste to the glass bottle bulmers.

Fine Wines are currently doing a special offer on them - 6 for €10 or 12 for €20. Its great value really, a long neck Bulmers for only €1.67!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I picked up a tray of Bass in Dunne's for a euro a can yesterday.

Advertisement