Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell...

• 22-07-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

...is that little lookout box thing on the top of that big rock on the tramore road?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv often wondered that myself, I assume its some sort of lookout tower used during war times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

yea i have often wondered this myself when driving out to tramore... that used to be all bogland before the road was there yea??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yea i have often wondered this myself when driving out to tramore... that used to be all bogland before the road was there yea??

It still is all bogland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its an observation box for the wetland birds.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Don't know how true it is but my father used to say that it was an old watch post for the old IRA, there's a few of em scattered around the county and other counties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Meatwad wrote: »
    Don't know how true it is but my father used to say that it was an old watch post for the old IRA, there's a few of em scattered around the county and other counties.

I doubt the IRA would have been stupid enough to built a structure were they could be easily spotted :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    I doubt the IRA would have been stupid enough to built a structure were they could be easily spotted :)

I was told the same story tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't remember seeing the Tramore Road one, but it sounds like one in Fiddown, near the bridge. I'm not actually sure it is there any more, but I was also told the IRA story about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't think any military group would build a cement lookout post, with room for one man on the top of a rock really :p

Assuming the one you're talking about is on the way out to Tramore.

I reckon, as Mike said, it's more for bird watchers or the like than any military use.

Have been out to the pillbox on Black Knob (Only found out it was called that today funnily enough) a load of times though, would love to go in, but there's about 4/5 foot of water in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

all i know is that a friend of a friend was telling me her cousin's flatmate went camping up there with 3 of her really good looking and slightly underdressed for the the time of year college friends. and 3 days later all the guards found was a blood spattered bra on top of the look out hut ........

honest......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Meatwad wrote: »
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Sully wrote: »
    I was told the same story tho.

I was told the same story as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

What ever it is, it kept the Germans out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I always though it was from WWII

Was a German plane not shot down over Waterford back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i climbed up there years ago when i was a kid, its nothing special , i wouldnt fancy sitting in there for any length of time, yer arse would be fairly sore, a lumpy rocky stonie thing as a seat !!

bring a cushion !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

alls im hearin is IRA stories aswell. was up there the other mornin. its the one on the way to tramore before the ORR roundabout mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kahless wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing the Tramore Road one, but it sounds like one in Fiddown, near the bridge. I'm not actually sure it is there any more, but I was also told the IRA story about that one.

Both are similar structures alright but the one in Fiddown seemed to be built as part of the wall (though the wall may have come later) and faces the bridge, so thats definately not for looking at wetland birds :D

I remember heading the IRA stories too but I dont remember the source, gould have just been childhood hearsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i have heard both stories, i.e. that it was an IRA lookout point and also that it was a for bird watching. possibly both true in different times i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Well it overlooks a wildlife sanctury reserve thats about it. (there's a sign on the gate).

Inside there are some empty drink bottles and who knows what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

There is one of them on the cliff behind the port in rosslare, was in it bout this time last year . They are tiny but the locals did say they were military lookout posts...

dunno from when tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd be incredibly suprised if it was military related. Both the coast and airport are facing the other way, it's (open) back is way open to attack, it's too noticable too, and would be nigh on impossible to defend.

It'd be a suicide watch for anyone posted there!

Bird watching post ftw!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd be incredibly suprised if it was military related. Both the coast and airport are facing the other way, it's (open) back is way open to attack, it's too noticable too, and would be nigh on impossible to defend.

It'd be a suicide watch for anyone posted there!

Bird watching post ftw!

This is also my logic to the whole thing, as for a WW2 lookout....well there's higher points in the waterford area that would be better suited for lookouts

Advertisement