Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite dinosaur?

• 22-07-2008 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks!

First meaningful thread :D

Anybody got a favourite dinosaur, and why?

T-Rex is obviously up there... I'm a big fan of brontosaurus too. They just seem so graceful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Although not strictly a dinosaur, I'm going to go with Mesosaurus as my favorite. Mainly because there is a full size skeleton cast in my local aquarium and it is awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

i always loved iguanadons. dunno what it was about them, they just seemed really cool.
    that and brachaiosauruseseses (brachiasauri?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The velociraptor was until I found out Jurassic Park lied to me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Pterydactal. Just cause they can fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The velociraptor was until I found out Jurassic Park lied to me. :(

Miniature, possibly feathered dinosaur. Certainly disappointing. Isn't there a larger cousin that's a bit more impressive though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Pachycephalosaurus,

Thats the one with the crash helmet built in. Always though it was cool for some reason :o

Miniature, possibly feathered dinosaur. Certainly disappointing. Isn't there a larger cousin that's a bit more impressive though?

Found it... deinonychus. Also apparently feathered. Well that's my own favorite ruined by modern science.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Found it... deinonychus. Also apparently feathered. Well that's my own favorite ruined by modern science.
    Bah, the feathers make it shíte. Why couldn't science just lie to us????

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Triceratops, I imagine them to be really laid back, chilled out dinosaur, but when ruffled...CHARGE! Then, back to munching leaves again!

Why couldn't science just lie to us????

I think the fact it claims the earth is older than 6,000 years old is enough of a lie ;)

• Advertisement

What's that earth revoling around the sun malarky about as well? Everyone knows it's the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

And the whole Earth being round thing? Pah!

On topic, how do they know it had feathers?

Did they fossilize? Could the feathers have come from prey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of brontosaurus too. They just seem so graceful!
    The name Brontosaurus is no longer scientifically valid. The name Apatosaurus is used instead. For reasons why just ask and I'll elaborate.
    Blisterman wrote: »
    Pterydactal. Just cause they can fly.
    You mean Pterodactylus? Not strictly a dinosaur either.
    They have another 'cousin' called Utahrapttor which was 20feet long! :eek:
    GuanYin wrote: »
    On topic, how do they know it had feathers?

Did they fossilize? Could the feathers have come from prey?

FYI feathers on dinosaurs rawk. And yes dromaeosaurs (or raptors as people insist on calling them) did have feathers. There have been several genera/species of dromaeosaur discovered with feathers thus far including Microraptor gui and Velociraptor. And no they certainly were not from prey.
    Again for more info. just ask :)

Now to address the topic at hand! My favourite dinosaur is the mighty Therizinosaurus cheloniformis!

Therizinosaurus.gif

Well you could start threads or just give us the information :) it is a discussion forum after all!

GuanYin wrote: »
    Well you could start threads or just give us the information :) it is a discussion forum after all!

Thing is I when giving out information on dinosaurs I tend to go on very long tangents which take time to write. of course I'm perfectly happy to but only if people genuinely want to hear it.
    Although we could use some more threads...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Thing is I when giving out information on dinosaurs I tend to go on very long tangents which take time to write. of course I'm perfectly happy to but only if people genuinely want to hear it.
    Although we could use some more threads...

The success of the forum rests on the assumption of people wanting to hear it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Emmm Velociraptor? Jurassic Park was a childhood favourite :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Triceratops was my favourite as a child. Now, I guess I'd go for Trodoon, or Deinonichus (sp?). Velociraptor would make a nice dog sized pet, though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I always liked the diplodocus, even if I could never say it right.

And Barney of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

Although it is not a dinosaur I have to say Lieplourodon(sp?) Just because it was huge.

animan wrote: »
    Although it is not a dinosaur I have to say Lieplourodon(sp?) Just because it was huge.

I hate being the harbinger of bad news. Lioplerodon was nowhere near as big as it was in Walking With Dinosaurs (25metres long). Estimates put it at less than 11metres in length. However some of its relatives may have been over 15metres in length. Here's some more info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liopleurodon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mines a
    LetYouDownLarryGrimesRaptor

Small little guy, square head and glasses, very hard to catch though, never really show up when they are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmmm I'm sensing your this extends beyond paleontological matters....... ¬_¬

Mine is a Pleseosaur .

I even went to scotland to see if i could catch a glymps of the Harkness Monster . But it didnt show :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I have general gripe with dinosaur palaeontology in that there are so many different species and genera of dinosaurs based purely on one or two fragments of fossilised bone. Like, I've never heard of Therizinosaurus sp but according to wikipedia they haven't even found any bones belonging to the skull. How someone can say this is their favourite dinosaur when we hardly know anything about it boggles my mind.

Actually, dinosaur fanboyism reminds me a lot of bird watching. It's just weird.

Going back to when I was a kid and such nonsense like the above wasn't important I would have to say my favourite dinosaur was the Allosaurus. I always envisioned it as the Tiger or top carnivore of the Jurassic period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I have general gripe with dinosaur palaeontology in that there are so many different species and genera of dinosaurs based purely on one or two fragments of fossilised bone. Like, I've never heard of Therizinosaurus sp but according to wikipedia they haven't even found any bones belonging to the skull. How someone can say this is their favourite dinosaur when we hardly know anything about it boggles my mind.

The fossil guys seem to know their game pretty well. They've often made predictions based on a couple of bones that have been borne out in later discoveries. I wonder if anyone has any solid data on their success rate?

Well to quote from the wikipedia page you looked at:
    The discovery of the enigmatic "segnosaurs", including Alxasaurus in 1993 and Beipiaosaurus in 1996, helped clarify the relationships of Therizinosaurus
    hough the fossil remains of Therizinosaurus are incomplete, inferences can be made about its physical characteristics based on related therizinosaurids. Like other members of its family, Therizinosaurus probably had a small skull atop a long neck, with a bipedal gait and a heavy, deep body (as evidenced by the wide pelvis of other therizinosaurids).

That's how we do it. When trying to figure out a creature where only a few bones have been found we generally fill in the gaps based on related creatures. The idea being they would be quite similar. Of course new discoveries might prove that our first guess was completely wrong but isn't that the beauty of palaeontology?
    Remember poor old Apatosaurus? Before its head was discovered it was assumed that it had a head similar to Camarasaurus. When the head was actually discovered it turned out that it's head looked more like that of Diplodocus.
    Who knows maybe in the future new discoveries will show that it actually looked like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Probably Parasaurolophus, I always thought they looked cool with the giant crest. I remember getting a model of a Protoceratops when I was a child, I first thought it was just a rubbish Triceratops but I have since warmed to it.

I never liked Oviraptors, I always considered them to be sneaky bastards.

Advertisement