Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite dinosaur?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well to quote from the wikipedia page you looked at:

That's how we do it.

what do you mean by that? are you a palaeontologist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Stegosaurus!

stegosaurus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Utahraptor for me. Fast, agile, big, claws from hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

parasaur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lol brill.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

GuanYin wrote: »
    On topic, how do they know it had feathers?

Did they fossilize? Could the feathers have come from prey?

Bones aren't the only type of fossils. You can get trace fossils as well, including imprints - I think they found some imprints around velociraptor skeletons that indicated they were feathered. Also, last year in Mongolia they found a velociraptor skeleton with quill knobs along its arms, which are basically the bumps that the feathers come out of.
    There is a line of thought that velociraptors used their feathers much the same way that ostriches do today, to help them change directions while running without losing as much speed. It is doubtful that they could actually fly, however, when you consider their body size and weight compared to their forearms.

Incidentally, my favourite dinosaur would probably be a triceratops. I think this stems from when I used to play dinosaurs with my cousin Eoin as a child, and he was always an allosaurus or some other carnivore while I was the herbivore he was hunting. I think a triceratops comes across as well able to stick up for itself!

How nice is it to be able to discuss your favourite dinosaur without other people calling you a dork?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fishie wrote: »
    Bones aren't the only type of fossils. You can get trace fossils as well, including imprints - I think they found some imprints around velociraptor skeletons that indicated they were feathered. Also, last year in Mongolia they found a velociraptor skeleton with quill knobs along its arms, which are basically the bumps that the feathers come out of.
    There is a line of thought that velociraptors used their feathers much the same way that ostriches do today, to help them change directions while running without losing as much speed. It is doubtful that they could actually fly, however, when you consider their body size and weight compared to their forearms.
    Some have even theorized that dromaeosaurs ('raptors') evolved from primitive birds.
    Fishie wrote: »
    How nice is it to be able to discuss your favourite dinosaur without other people calling you a dork?! :D
    That happens? No really, chicks dig fossils.

large_KELLER0WEB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I saw some opalised fossils in Australia. It was quite a treat. This Opal miner guy found them and sent them off to the museum to see what they were. It turns out they belonged to an early Platypus. They offered him loads for it as it was a rare specimen but he didn't want to sell it, just yet.
    Sorry, not really a Dinosaur but just in relation to what else can fossilise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

T-REX FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I gotta say either the Allosaurus or the Suchomimus. in the words of Bill & Ted, they were both richous beasts!

lol. he he! i love what yerman said above, about oviraptors being sneaky bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Canis_major

Doyouthinkhesaurus :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Rex. Ever since I saw the skull in the Smithsonian. Talk about big headed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ankylosaurus and Triceratops were always two faves of mine, along with Stegosaurus.

I like the big meat eaters, but there is something bad ass about the veggies that can fight back, especially the first two I named.

Well I suppose a Rex had to eat something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

It isn't really a dinosaur but I have a soft spot for Dimetrodon.

This beastie might possibly be your great great (many times removed) granny.

Rubecula wrote: »
    It isn't really a dinosaur but I have a soft spot for Dimetrodon.

This beastie might possibly be your great great (many times removed) granny.

http://www.livescience.com/10869-ancient-tiger-sized-predator-unearthed-texas.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks Alvin, I enjoyed the read.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I like dinos but they are over emphasised compared to earlier and later animals

moschops
    lystrosaurus
    anomalocaris
    dunkleosteus

Advertisement