Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rev counter not working in Citroen Xsara 99 model

Options
  • 22-07-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

To make along story short, I have my driving test on monday and the rev counter in my 99 reg Citroen Xsara is broken. When I say broken I mean that the needle is behind the little nib rather than in front of it. This happened when my car was jump started as the battery was flat. Has anybody experienced this and can anybody recommend a solution than does not involve replacing the dash?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say either the rev counter is knackered or the needle is stuck behind the stop. Either way, a new dash is probably the only solution. The jump start may have 'frightened' the needle into that position.

But an inoperative rev counter should not cause you to fail your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Yes the needle is no behind the stop. When I jump started it the needle went right the way round and got stuck. Do you know how much a second hand dash would cost and will there be a problem with mileage?? I hope that I am still able to do the test. I mean my girlfriends opel corsa does not even have a rev counter!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes the needle is no behind the stop. When I jump started it the needle went right the way round and got stuck. Do you know how much a second hand dash would cost and will there be a problem with mileage?? I hope that I am still able to do the test. I mean my girlfriends opel corsa does not even have a rev counter!!!

What do you need the rev counter for .. please don't tell me you use to work out when you can change gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, there's a bit of a cross over of forums, but i did a little more research last night and found that the rev counter is not a statutory requirement, as Wishbone Ash said, so i'm almost certain that you'd be okay, i do stress the almost though. OP did you get a response from your driving instructor who said he was going to ask around?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Will find out from the instructor tomorrow evening if I can go ahead with it. No craichoe I dont need the rev counter to work out the gears and to be honest I dont appreciate the way that you asked the question. I am looking at it from a testers point of view! When the rev counter did work I never looked at it so I am just hoping it will be ok. Thanks for the help anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement