Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what type of HD this is.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi I am looking to buy the following laptop http://www.alienware.co.uk/configurator_pages/area-51_m17x.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-LT-A51M17X&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT&source=418

I want to upgrade the HD on this but thing the prices on the site are ridiculous. Can someone tell me if this is 2.5 SATA or a 3.5 SATA?

Also if it's a 3.5 SATA would this be a good HD to buy? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055

Thanks

It's a 3.5 inch SATA, you can tell from the categories on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Spear wrote: »
    It's a 3.5 inch SATA, you can tell from the categories on the left.

Thank you - so this would be a good hard drive then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thank you - so this would be a good hard drive then?

Not for a laptop.

Not for a laptop.

Why not? Obviously my ability to upgrade parts will be a huge factor in whether i purchase this or not - so I want to find the best possible affordable parts for this deal.......

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Why not? Obviously my ability to upgrade parts will be a huge factor in whether i purchase this or not - so I want to find the best possible affordable parts for this deal.......

It's too big to fit in a laptop, as they normally use 2 1/2 inch disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Laptops use the smaller 2.5" drives, usually running at 5,400 rpm to conserve battery power and reduce heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a laptop, by buying it you have chopped most if not all upgrade ability. Its the inherent problem with laptops and is the reason why desktops are still superior, especially in terms of gaming.

All you can change on it would be the hard-drive tbh. And what hard-drive you decide to get would depend on how much you are willing to spend, how much storage space you want and how much speed do you want?

What are you going to be using the laptop for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a laptop, its not for upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I beg to differ. Laptops can be upgraded...although parts can be expensive. I've upgraded the processor,memory,graphics,hard drives and optical drive on my old laptop (Alienware M9700).

It's too big to fit in a laptop, as they normally use 2 1/2 inch disks.

Ok I'm a little confused as you said in your first post that it was 3.5?

All i'm looking to upgrade is the RAM (komplett) and hard drive - this would make it very worthit to me as they are the most expensive things to upgrade (i.e. bad value for money IMO)

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement

The Alienware M17 uses 2.5" sata hard drives. Thats what you'll be needing

Ok I'm a little confused as you said in your first post that it was 3.5?

All i'm looking to upgrade is the RAM (komplett) and hard drive - this would make it very worthit to me as they are the most expensive things to upgrade (i.e. bad value for money IMO)

Thanks for the replies

Because the hard disk you linked to was a 3.5 inch hard disk.

Because the hard disk you linked to was a 3.5 inch hard disk.

Sorry didn't word the question correctly I was refering to whether the hard drive on the laptop was 2.5 or 3.5

So this is more what i'm looking for http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=358193?

Yep...that WD drive will be fine

PS what sort of spec are you going for with the M17X....very tempted by one myself with X9000 and dual 8800GTX cards

Nforce wrote: »
    Yep...that WD drive will be fine

PS what sort of spec are you going for with the M17X....very tempted by one myself with X9000 and dual 8800GTX cards

Hi,

Originally I was thinking of a dell XPS M1730, however now the price doesn't even include the dual graphics card so I think I'm going to leave that (still not sure).

What I'm eyeing up is the following specs:
    - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB) [+€192]
    - Dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT – SLI Enabled
    - Additional Battery - Alienware® m17x 12-cell Lithium-Ion Additional Battery [+€97]
    - Going to upgrade my RAM through komplett(crucial)
    - Going to upgrade my harddrive though komplett - but will probably go with this for now 160GB 7200 RPM SATA with Free Fall Protection [+€81] (and use it as a portable drive later)

Is this worth getting? Intel Turbo Cache Memory 1GB – Accelerate Data Transfer Speed [+€39]

What are you thinking of yourself?

Wouldn't bother with the TurboCache memory. Also the Go 8600M GT cards are a pile of poo....you'd be better off getting a single 8800GTX and getting a second card when funds allow. I'm considering getting the quadcore X9000 chip,dual 8800GTX gfx,maybe a 128gb ssd + 500gb sata hdd, bluray burner etc. Gotta sell some of my old laptops and PC components first,though.:)

Tbh, if you were going to spend that much on a laptop I would recommend buying a SSD drive like this;

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55VK

Since the laptop takes two hard-drives you could buy a large capacity slow drive for storage and use the SSD for the OS and whatever games you play the most.

It would be a big difference in performance.

Nforce wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with the TurboCache memory. Also the Go 8600M GT cards are a pile of poo....you'd be better off getting a single 8800GTX and getting a second card when funds allow. I'm considering getting the quadcore X9000 chip,dual 8800GTX gfx,maybe a 128gb ssd + 500gb sata hdd, bluray burner etc. Gotta sell some of my old laptops and PC components first,though.:)

Good point, I'll probably upgrade the video card.
    Tbh, if you were going to spend that much on a laptop I would recommend buying a SSD drive like this;

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55VK

Since the laptop takes two hard-drives you could buy a large capacity slow drive for storage and use the SSD for the OS and whatever games you play the most.

It would be a big difference in performance.

Would you mind explaining to me what is so good about this HD? What's SSD? Why is this 64gb HD so much better than anyone alienware offers?

Good point, I'll probably upgrade the video card.

Would you mind explaining to me what is so good about this HD? What's SSD? Why is this 64gb HD so much better than anyone alienware offers?

It's a solid state device, much faster than a hard disk.

Most systems nowdays are limited by the fact that in the last 15 years hard-drive tech has remained pretty static. All hard-drives were still the only true mechanical devices still within pc's and were still plagued by the mechanical faults caused by a magnetic disk spinning at breakneck speeds.

Hard-drive performance can be measured by:

Size; The total storage capacity of the drive
    Transfer Speed; How quickly it could read and write data

and the important one

Latency; How quickly the drive could get to the information.

Why latency is important is that when retrieving information off the hardrive it was placed all over the damm thing. This lead to slowdown as the drive was always skipping from one end to the other. The solution before SSD drives was to increase rotational speed (5400rpm, 7200rpm, 10,000rpm, 15krpm) etc. This meant that as the drive spun faster it was quicker to move from one end to the other.

Latency on SSD drives like the one listed above is non-existent due to the fact they are based on Flash memory. Transfer speeds have also become quite fast. All you sacrifice is storage space(as they are still quite expensive in comparison). But you will get a much faster response then using a conventional hard-drive. Especially in a laptop where due to the size and heat requirements hard-drives are inherently slower then the desktop inequivalent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement