Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin version of the English Market

Options
  • 22-07-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

I've recently moved from Cork to Dublin and am suffering serious withdrawals from the English Market in Cork.

Is there anywhere similar in Dublin where you can get great fresh fish, meat, veggies, cheeses etc? I tried Fallon & Byrne a couple of weeks ago but it's horribly overpriced and full of food snobs. I miss the English Market's mish mash of stalls where you can get everything from tripe to manchego to knock off cutlery!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Moore Street? Have not been there in years though.
    Up by the Liberties in Meath street might be another likely spot.

Temple bar food market (not every day).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Meath street?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've not found anything like the English Market, but there's a few handy spots around.

Fallon & Byrne have good food, but as you said, is expensive, much more than it should be.

The Epicurean Food Hall is a good spot to pop into for lunch... if you just want to get something to eat in town, and not have to bring it home.

The markets on Moore St are grand for fruit and veg. Head up towards Thomas St. and Meath st. Market for your household goods and knockoffs. (Don't forget to actually go into the market itself, can't think of what days it opens off the top of my head).

Temple Bar's food market is Sat mornings, and there'll be the odd thing in Cow Lane aswell, but not sure if that's going as well as it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I've never been but what about the Donnybrook Fair? I've heard it was good, but also posh and I've heard it being compared to Fallon & Byrne too. I love the English Market - but I've yet to come across a place like it in Dub...

As Fajitas mentioned, the Temble Bar Food Market is fantastic, but it's way smaller and most of the stalls are for food consumption there and then. It's on all day - we went down last Sat and it was still on at about 5 ish. There's a market in the People's Park in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays too. Same idea as the TBFM.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Closest thing I have come across is this

http://www.dlrevents.ie/events.htm
    CoCo Markets
    Date: Every Weekend
    Saturday: Marlay Park
    Sunday: The People's Park, Dún Laoghaire
    Time: Dalkey: 10am - 3pm
    Marlay Park: 10am - 4pm
    Peple's Park: 11am - 4pm
    Cost: Free

Sip wild and wonderful teas or savour a deliciously ripe Brie. Relish irresistible sausages or new spring lamb or simply delight in tempting aromas and the wholesome happy feeling with a trip to the CoCo Markets. Farmers and other food producers bring their fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs, flowers, ethnic fare and sweet and savoury treats each week to the CoCo Markets.

With three weekly markets, the CoCo Markets represents the largest group of municipal markets in the country and are a notfor- profit initiative by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. Whether food is a passion or just a flirtation, food lovers visit the markets each week to collect tasty treats, store cupboard necessities or simply wander around with a raw juice and a falafel in hand to peruse the colourful tapestry of farmers fare, crafts and cooking.
    Renowned as one of the "happiest sites on the planet" and a "Southside table magnificent to behold" by the latest Bridgestone Guide and enveloped by a medley of international aromas, the heady market day atmosphere and community spirit is inimitable.

Download the CoCo Markets Brochure here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

deswalsh wrote: »
    Meath street?

Whats the question? Are you saying you have never heard of the Liberties and wonder where it is? Or do you think its a name that should not be uttered in Dublin? :D

Anyway moore street usually has fish stalls too and there are some butchers there like FXB's if i remember correctly and they do good cheap meat.

Its not the English market but you can get the same type of stuff there.

I think the fruit markets are being moved out of the City and something like the english market is planned for there.

There's a farmers market on Thurday mornings aswell in Leopardstown I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Aspiration wrote: »
    I've never been but what about the Donnybrook Fair? I've heard it was good, but also posh and I've heard it being compared to Fallon & Byrne too. I love the English Market - but I've yet to come across a place like it in Dub...

As Fajitas mentioned, the Temble Bar Food Market is fantastic, but it's way smaller and most of the stalls are for food consumption there and then. It's on all day - we went down last Sat and it was still on at about 5 ish. There's a market in the People's Park in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays too. Same idea as the TBFM.

Best of luck!

Donnybrook fair is just a nice small supermarket to be fair, nice but pricey.
    Temple bar market is the biggest rip off market in dublin, and pretty crappy to boot. apart from not too bad food to eat there and then, as a market it's a shambles and sells pretend organic vegetables at extortionate prices. I;'ve heard there was a nice market around the RDS one or 2 days a week, but have not been there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Temple bar market is the biggest rip off market in dublin, and pretty crappy to boot. apart from not too bad food to eat there and then, as a market it's a shambles and sells pretend organic vegetables at extortionate prices.

Wow... I didn't know they were selling non-organic food there as Organic! How do you know this, do you know where its grown? They could be in real trouble there if that is that case.

There is a pretty small market in St. Annes Park in Raheny every Saturday morning, its not great really, but the certified organic farmer there is pretty good value compared to mainstream non organic supermarket produce.

The brilliant English market is pretty unique to Cork. Dublin has other unique things that Cork doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

the co-op market off Cork st (used to be in St. Andrews in Pearse St) is probably the best place for buying organic fruit and veg. It has the same stalls as TBFM but cheaper as it's a co-op so you pay a nominal entry fee or an annual membership.

[HTML]http://www.dublinfood.coop[/HTML]

I haven't been to the new venue but they used to have stalls selling bread, blazing salads had a stall and alot of organic foods too.

sorry, I haven't learned to insert links yet but that's the website

• Advertisement

lol yeah in fairness, I haven't bought any ingredients the Temple Bar Market but the food on the stalls is good! There's 1 stall I wouldn't go back to but the rest are pretty good.

Also found this online: http://www.blackrockmarket.com but it's not really a food market.

And http://www.irishfarmersmarkets.ie/index.html according to this the Leopardstown Farmers Market is on Fridays- not Thursday, sorry!

lightening wrote: »
    Wow... I didn't know they were selling non-organic food there as Organic! How do you know this, do you know where its grown? They could be in real trouble there if that is that case.

There is a pretty small market in St. Annes Park in Raheny every Saturday morning, its not great really, but the certified organic farmer there is pretty good value compared to mainstream non organic supermarket produce.

The brilliant English market is pretty unique to Cork. Dublin has other unique things that Cork doesn't have.

i think the rules for these things are pretty lax, and obviously this is all hearsay, but i've always heard it as the biggest running joke of dublin and a great example of rip off ireland. grow a potato, sell it for 10 cents. call it organic and sell it for 1 euro

grow a potato, sell it for 10 cents. call it organic and sell it for 1 euro

I don't think that happens any more.

lightening wrote: »
    I don't think that happens any more.

to be fair it's probably not blatant as that anymore, but ripping off people is certainly not a thing of the past. just look at the current report of prices here being 30% more than in the North in supermarkets. I can assure you that the sellers in temple bar market are ripping people off... big time. but if people are willing to go along with it, then fair play to them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nope nothing even close to resembling English market. But that could be a plus for you as that when you go home you've got something unique to look forward too. And the English market is that good.
    As for these 2bit alternative 'farmers markets' that keep popping up in Dublin (although better than the alternative...not having them) the veggy produce is very, very poor on the whole. Carrying fallon and Byrne prices at late saturday afternoon Moore st. quality. Even if one was to push them all together the variety, quality and value still wouldn't touch the English Market.
    1 up for cork. Every dog etc.

I can assure you that the sellers in temple bar market are ripping people off... big time.

I couldn't comment until I found out what the rates and rent is for a stall there. Some of the produce is excellent though. You are always going to have to pay a premium for things like this in a city centre.

humberklog wrote: »
    the veggy produce is very, very poor on the whole.

Just try the produce from the one I mentioned earlier on in Raheny, it's a Wicklow farm, if you get in around ten AM on a Saturday you will be pleased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Saruman wrote: »
    Whats the question? Are you saying you have never heard of the Liberties and wonder where it is? Or do you think its a name that should not be uttered in Dublin? :D

Anyway moore street usually has fish stalls too and there are some butchers there like FXB's if i remember correctly and they do good cheap meat.

Its not the English market but you can get the same type of stuff there.

I think the fruit markets are being moved out of the City and something like the english market is planned for there.

Meath street was once a place for all the foods and items listed by the OP (that now are fashionable again) including the tripe. Question Mark because I havent walked down there in years, just driven through so I dont know if you can still get that sort of stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

deswalsh wrote: »
    Meath street was once a place for all the foods and items listed by the OP (that now are fashionable again) including the tripe. Question Mark because I havent walked down there in years, just driven through so I dont know if you can still get that sort of stuff.
    You sure can. Butchers are gaining big in the offal stakes as east europeans and africans like the insides a lot. I tried tripe once and only to say that I did. Not to my taste. I picked up some delicious pig's ears on Meath st. at weekend and that wasn't the weirdiest thing in the window. Also FX's on Moore st. are stocking a great collection of long forgotten delectable meats. Try the chicken's hearts. Handful of hearts quickly fried in butter, garlic and black pepper. Medievel but delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Any entrepreneurs out there? Looky here: consumer demand for a really good market. Want to set one up, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Granty2007

Hi all,

The Organic Supermarket has just opened its doors in Blackrock Main Street.... just reviewed in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/0802/1217368820979.html

Its website is www.organicsupermarket.ie

Thanks Granty.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

It's always stunned me that there's no great undercover food market in Dublin. All the farmers markets seem to have just one fruit and veg stall and one bread stall type of thing - so you lose the benefit of multiple stalls and the price wars.

I'm surprised at CHQ building wasn't turned into a good market - I heard they're giving away leases there cos noone wants to set up in there and people just aren't shopping there. A market would make so much more sense.

Market in dublin would be a huge tourist bonus too

I soooo miss the QV market in Melbourne :( 7 hectares of it. Kilometres of stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

the co-op market off Cork st (used to be in St. Andrews in Pearse St) is probably the best place for buying organic fruit and veg. It has the same stalls as TBFM but cheaper as it's a co-op so you pay a nominal entry fee or an annual membership.

[HTML]http://www.dublinfood.coop[/HTML]

I haven't been to the new venue but they used to have stalls selling bread, blazing salads had a stall and alot of organic foods too.

sorry, I haven't learned to insert links yet but that's the website

Was just going to mention this place, it's up in Newmarket and much better than the Meath St. area for food tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vero

there was a farmers market in ranelagh (at least it was there last year, don't know if it's still there)

Advertisement