Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Traditional Sessions

• 22-07-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Anyone here from Howth? I go up there the odd Sunday, lovely place. Anyway, I'm interested a lot in traditional and folk music and a guy I know from back in Donegal who grew up in Howth tells me there good sessions in either the Cock Tavern and The Lighthouse pub on a Sunday afternoon.

Last week I arrived in the Cock Tavern at about 5 in the evening and it was great craic. Think it was mostly locals, one guy was so hammered he was talking to a table with no-one sitting at it! Unfortunately I seemed to missed the music which I didnt mind too much. I asked some guy on the way out about the sessions and he spoke to me for a few minutes but I hadn't a clue what he was sayin! I couldn't find the lighthouse pub.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if theres good traditional sessions in any of the pubs in Howth on a weekly basis?

(Maybe I should have posted this in the traditional forum but it's been very quiet there as of late, please move if unsuitable)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for that will check out the Cock tavern one of these coming Sundays.

I am not aware of any sessions on in Howth and had a look at thesession.org for you and there are none listed there either.

There are plenty of other session out the northside though:)

You a musician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Thanks for that! To be fair, the guy that told me they were on moved out of howth 10 years ago so maybe they've stopped since.

I play a few tunes on the mandolin, just wanted to see some proper sessions in Dublin, away from Temple Bar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

The Lighthouse pub is long gone, I'm afraid.:(

Ah, thats a shame. It's really hard to find good sessions these days....cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

There's a session every Sunday afternoon in the Pierhouse.

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 renglish

This is an old thread, but as of 10/2012 there are Sunday sessions at O'Connell's (formerly the Pierhouse) at 6 East Pier about 1pm. There are also session at the Cock Tavern. I have not attended any of those, so I can't report. The O'Connell's session was mixed song and tunes. Seemed friendly and local. I am a new blow-in from San Francisco. Just in Howth a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Best trad session is in Krugers (Top House) on Wednesday evenings, 10pm, with some very talented players.

Advertisement