Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I buy the wrong wireless router?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have a 1MB cable Broadband connection with NTL (Value Package). I am using this on my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) running Vista Enterprise. The Cable modem provided by NTL is a Motorola Surfboard SB501E. When I connect my laptop directly to the Cable Modem (Network & Sharing Center > View Connection Status), it shows my connection speed as 100.00 mbps.

I bought a Wireless Router so I can use the connection wirelessly. I got a Belkin Wireless G Router (2.4 Hgz, 802.11g) and have conncted the Cable modem to the wireless router. When I check my Wireless connection settings they show 54 mbps.

Does this speed mean that my connection is slower using the Wireless router? Did I buy too "slow" a router for my connection?

I am dubious about believing this speed, as if I switch back the cable to run directly from the cable modem to the laptop, and leave the wireless router turned on (but not connected to the router), the wireless router still shows up in my Network & Sharing Center as 54 mbps, but obviously I cant connect to the internet through it.

I have noticed that if I connect directly to the cable modem the speed of the internet connection seems much faster, and I can do things like view YouTube videos or have a Skype video call, whereas on the wireless connection most times these halt or I drop out of Skype Calls.

Do I need to buy a new Wireless Modem or is there some Wrireless Connection setting I can change?

Notes on Wireless Settings: Using Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, Driver version: 11.5.0.32, Location: PCI bus 12, device 0, function 0, Property: Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a, Value: 36)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Margo wrote: »
    I have a 1MB cable Broadband connection with NTL (Value Package). I am using this on my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) running Vista Enterprise. The Cable modem provided by NTL is a Motorola Surfboard SB501E. When I connect my laptop directly to the Cable Modem (Network & Sharing Center > View Connection Status), it shows my connection speed as 100.00 mbps.

I bought a Wireless Router so I can use the connection wirelessly. I got a Belkin Wireless G Router (2.4 Hgz, 802.11g) and have conncted the Cable modem to the wireless router. When I check my Wireless connection settings they show 54 mbps.

Does this speed mean that my connection is slower using the Wireless router? Did I buy too "slow" a router for my connection?

I am dubious about believing this speed, as if I switch back the cable to run directly from the cable modem to the laptop, and leave the wireless router turned on (but not connected to the router), the wireless router still shows up in my Network & Sharing Center as 54 mbps, but obviously I cant connect to the internet through it.

I have noticed that if I connect directly to the cable modem the speed of the internet connection seems much faster, and I can do things like view YouTube videos or have a Skype video call, whereas on the wireless connection most times these halt or I drop out of Skype Calls.

Do I need to buy a new Wireless Modem or is there some Wrireless Connection setting I can change?

Notes on Wireless Settings: Using Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, Driver version: 11.5.0.32, Location: PCI bus 12, device 0, function 0, Property: Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a, Value: 36)

Those are the LAN speeds, not the broadband speeds. And wireless is far more exposed to dropped packets. Try changing the wireless channel to avoid interference from neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Margo

Thanks Spear. So how can i check my actual broadband speed?
    I guess with your suggestion I should change the "Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a" which is currently set to 36 to an alternate value? Should I change any other Property values? e.g. "Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b" , "Ad Hoc Default Wireless Mode", Wireless Mode etc.?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks Spear. So how can i check my actual broadband speed?
    I guess with your suggestion I should change the "Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a" which is currently set to 36 to an alternate value? Should I change any other Property values? e.g. "Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b" , "Ad Hoc Default Wireless Mode", Wireless Mode etc.?

You should be using 802.11g, not a or b. The 802.11g channels should be listed from 1 to 13, though potentially only 11, if the router is set to use US channels.

Use a site like www.speedtest.net to get an idea of the speed, or log into the modem, and check it's connection rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Spear wrote: »
    You should be using 802.11g, not a or b. The 802.11g channels should be listed from 1 to 13, though potentially only 11, if the router is set to use US channels.

Use a site like www.speedtest.net to get an idea of the speed, or log into the modem, and check it's connection rate.
    and there are actually only 3 clear channels. It is recommended to use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Wireless Network Connection status > Properties > Connect using: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection > Configure > Advanced

I don't see a setting for 802.11g. The ones that I guess may be related ones are these 4:
    1. Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a (Values 36, 40, 44, 48, Auto)
    2. Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g (Values 1 through 11)
    3. Ad Hoc Default Wireless Mode (Value 802.11b/g or 802.11a)
    4. Wireless Mode (Value: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11b/g, 802.11a/g, 802.11a/b/g)
    Should I set Wireless Mode=802.11g, and Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g=1 / 6/ 11?

Thanks for the tip about using www.speedtest.net . I ran tests there varying between using my Wireless router or connecting directly to the Cable Modem. They both showed quite similar speeds (Download: 976kpbs Upload: 94kbps), but as you suggested, there were spikes in the packets dropped, but this happened on both types of connection strangely. Perhaps 1mb connection (or 100kpbs upload speed) is simply too slow for VOIP calls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Should I set Wireless Mode=802.11g, and Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g=1 / 6/ 11?

Thanks for the tip about using www.speedtest.net . I ran tests there varying between using my Wireless router or connecting directly to the Cable Modem. They both showed quite similar speeds (Download: 976kpbs Upload: 94kbps), but as you suggested, there were spikes in the packets dropped, but this happened on both types of connection strangely. Perhaps 1mb connection (or 100kpbs upload speed) is simply too slow for VOIP calls?

You can use any channel you like but it is usual to select one that is away from any thats already in use. e.g. by the neighbours. Yes,set the wireless mode and adhoc channel as you suggested.

Since you are able to use Skype etc when plugged into the router then your 1mb/100kb is likely to be sufficient.

If the connection is a constant 54mbs then it would seem that signal strength is not an issue.

Thanks for the tips Fuzzy Clam, Axer & Spear.

I have made the suggested changes to settings, so I just have to try a skype call now to see if performance has improved. I've never managed more than 3-4 mins call using the Wireless connection without me dropping out of the call.

I don't suppose there is any way to check which channel neighbour's are using is there? I presume it's a matter of trial and error with switching the channels being used to see where performance is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't suppose there is any way to check which channel neighbour's are using is there? I presume it's a matter of trial and error with switching the channels being used to see where performance is better?
    Some network cards come with software that includes a site survey. Not 100% accurate but can do the trick.

Alternatives are software wireless sniffers (only work with some network cards - they have to be able to support monitoring mode i.e. listening to traffic - this is not an option in many wireless network chips). There are also hardware based testers.

For you if your wireless card does not come with site survey test software the best option is to just test channels 1, 6, and 11 to see which gives the best results. Things like Microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, fluorescent lights, etc can also effect performance since the 2.4ghz range is a licence free range - basically anyone can use it. One channel might be fine now until someone next door buys a cordless phone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Thanks for the tips Fuzzy Clam, Axer & Spear.

You could download Network Stumbler http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlnetstumbler.html

Don't forget to turn off your own router when checking for a free channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭redoctober

Hi Margo ,

I just bought the same router for use with a dell laptop and digiweb metro modem. Just wondering where you can access the 'ad hoc channel' settings and how you change them as youtube cuts out when i'm on wireless too whereas it was excellent by wire. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 manuskennedy

Hi redoctober,

I bought a belkin wireless g router (802.11g) which works fine with my digiweb modem, but drops out after a minute or two when on skype or on youtube. Did you find any fix for the problem?
    I tried changing the channel from 1 to 11 as posted above but none seemed to work any better.
    There is no problem with skype or youtube, when I connect directly by cable to the modem (bypassing the belkin router)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭redoctober

Hi Manus,

I don't know much about these things but going on what i read in a few places on the web and on here, I changed the channel to 6 on both my laptop and I think on the router as well and it works fine now. Don't ask me how i changed it on the router but on the laptop just right click on your wireless adaptor and open and you'll see what to do. (hope this isn't too vague).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 manuskennedy

Thanks redoctober,

I didnt know I had to change the channel on the router aswell. I found out how to do that on the belkin product support website. Youtube seems to be working okay at the minute anyway.

Cheers.

For anyone else with the same prob - it's easy to do and all the steps are on the belkin support site
    ( http://www.belkin.com/support/product/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&scid=221 )
    under the 'frequent wireless disconnects' problem resolution.
    Then just configure the wireless connection channel on your PC to the same channel number, as described in the other posts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is the router that broadcasts so thats where you change the channel - its just like a radio station transmitted on a certain frequency over a transmitter.
    You dont have to change the channel on the laptop as the wireless card scans and find the available networks.

Advertisement