Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Permission Answer

• 22-07-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Yipee i finally got a yes on my house. after a long 8 week wait its finally good news. :) just wanted to thank everyone for all the help in the past and im sure ill be on annoying people in the future for more information :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Well done, now the work starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Soldier wrote: »
    Yipee i finally got a yes on my house. after a long 8 week wait its finally good news. :) just wanted to thank everyone for all the help in the past and im sure ill be on annoying people in the future for more information :)
    No need to thank us at all. An all expenses paid invite to the house warming party would suffice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

haha no problem :) All welcome up to galway
    actually in regards to foundations i have such a small budget my architect suggested a strip foundation instead of a raft. but i have heard it doesnt save much and makes a lot more work on the block layers which youll have to end up paying more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Your Architect is correct, strip foundations and traditional ground supported concrete slab is usuallycheaper than a raft foundation, because-
    • A raft foundation is usually specially designed by an Engineer and designed to your site's ground conditions and your house design.
    • There is usually alot of steel bars, top and bottom of the raft, these are usually laid by Steelfixers.
    • There is usually alot of shuttering required ( slab shape built in timber ply before conc. is poured - sort of mould for the raft). This can take a Carpenter alot of time, depending on the design.
    So in general pouring reinforced conc. foundation, building blockwork rising walls to underside of floor, laying radon, insulation and pipework etc, pouring conc. slab is quicker than designing, forming, steel fixing and pouring a raft.

I hope this helps abit:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

RKQ wrote: »
    Your Architect is correct, strip foundations and traditional ground supported concrete slab is usuallycheaper than a raft foundation, because-
    • A raft foundation is usually specially designed by an Engineer and designed to your site's ground conditions and your house design.
    • There is usually alot of steel bars, top and bottom of the raft, these are usually laid by Steelfixers.
    • There is usually alot of shuttering required ( slab shape built in timber ply before conc. is poured - sort of mould for the raft). This can take a Carpenter alot of time, depending on the design.
    So in general pouring reinforced conc. foundation, building blockwork rising walls to underside of floor, laying radon, insulation and pipework etc, pouring conc. slab is quicker than designing, forming, steel fixing and pouring a raft.

I hope this helps abit:)

I agree 100% RKQ strip foundations are generally cheaper, but rafts are quicker and the blocklayers go from foundation to first floor or roof level before they run away and give the poor builders a hard time getting them back, (perhaps not so much of a problem at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry for kinda hi-jacking this thread but roughly what are cost comparisons between the two.

Advertisement