Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with Left leg Automatic?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

:confused:
    i have a disabilty on my right leg because of this, i dont have much strenght drive with my right leg, but i can do all other things with my right leg within limits.
    i have been taking lessons on AUTOMATIC's car for long time WITH my left leg which i have got use to it driving with my left leg.
    i have no problems with this as my instructer has stated. (i am driving as good as an able bodied person would)

My question is

WHERE DO I STAND WHEN IT COMES TO TAKING MY TEST?

CAN I TAKE MY TEST DRIVING WITH MY LEFT LEG ON A AUTOMATIC CAR WITH OUT ANY ADAPTATONS?

i know this might be a unique issue. i will be very greatfull if you can help me. or point me to a right directions:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's no need for all the CAPS. And yes it is a unique situation to be in, to be honest i just can't offer you a definite answer, i'm thinking no, seeing that you'd be crossing over yourself to apply pressure to the accelerator. Do you have someone you could contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raju4u

Sorry for the CAPS. (Copy & Pasted)
    There's no need for all the CAPS. And yes it is a unique situation to be in, to be honest i just can't offer you a definite answer, i'm thinking no, seeing that you'd be crossing over yourself to apply pressure to the accelerator. Do you have someone you could contact?

I have emailed few companys, no luck as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't know either but I'd assume that the examiner would expect the vehicle to be adapted correctly for left leg use.

PS - please feel free to tell me to mind my own business but, if you have a disability, would you not be entitled to a VRT rebate or a grant to adapt a car to your needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raju4u

I don't know either but I'd assume that the examiner would expect the vehicle to be adapted correctly for left leg use.

PS - please feel free to tell me to mind my own business but, if you have a disability, would you not be entitled to a VRT rebate or a grant to adapt a car to your needs?

VRT rebate?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

raju4u wrote: »
    VRT rebate?

Vehicle Registration Tax, 18-36% or so of the cost of a new car.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

raju4u wrote: »
    VRT rebate?

Vehicle reg. tax... it adds a massive amount onto the price of the car. You get some of this given back to you (discounted) if you have a disability so you can adapt the car to your needs. It's worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can adapt a car to be controlled by hands only (steering gas, brake, gears).

Advertisement