Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Collie in the vets.

Options
  • 22-07-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

She's been at the vets since 9am getting an X ray on her sore leg. She has been limping for a while and did not respond to tablets she had been on for it.

I have been told already by the vets that the x rays showed up nothing so I am going to collect her in a few minutes and see what they say.

The place has been so quite without her and the dobies have a depressed and lonely look about them.

It will be nice to have her back again. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

How did you collie get on at the vets? What did they say about the leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Her cruciate ligament may have stretched or snapped? That won't necessarily show up on an x-ray? (Have been through this with my own collie).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The poor thing, fingers crossed it's just a strain or something.

My collie has no brakes and about once a year she ends up doing something stupid like running so fast she goes head over heels the dog is bonkers but we love her. Keeping them quiet can be hard esp. with collies they want to go go go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I got her back but the vets could not find the x rays so could not discuss them properly with me. Apparently the vet who took them took them home with her.

So I have to go back again on Friday to discuss them.

Meanwhile she is on 'Nutriscience' 'Arthri Aid' - its supposed to help repair damaged tissue.

Its her front left leg by the way.

It seems to be good stuff as she has improved slightly (at €32 for 500ml it would want to be) - at least until she does another sprint with the dobies. If this persists she will have to be tied up for a while to stop her running on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ArthriAid is great stuff, and don't worry, it will last you aaaaages! You got a good price on it, too, most places charge about €45 per bottle.

I've used it more or less constantly with my collie since she had cruciate ligament surgery last year. It does help repair damaged cartilage and helps in the formation of the synovial fluid that cushions and lubricates the joints, if I remember correctly. (I'm a bit hazy on how it works now after all this time).

I hope she'll be alright, and try not to worry too much! Even if it is her cruciate ligament or a luxating patella, it may not be severe enough to require surgery, and if it does, it's quite a common procedure now, but involves a lot of rest.

Thinking of you both!

I think cruciate ligament problems are more associated with the hind legs - maybe someone on here with more knowledge could clarify that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I had an idiot vet who kept telling me my dog was over weight and that was why she was limping and couldn't walk far even after I explained she only really put on the weight after the symptoms arose. She was put on a diet and had the legs walked of her to take the weight of her and weighed by the vet once a week. She continued to get worse till finally she struggled to get up so I got a second opinion.

She was diagnosed with sever arthritis and if I had of broth her to him months back the damage to her joints would only have been min. and oils and pain killers would have worked wonders for her but she was to far gone and needed to be put to sleep to stop the pain. I'm only glad I tuck her for her last walk to say good bye before she was seen by the new vet.

I should have sued him but I was to young to do so, he knows I still rescue animals and won't go near him and the only reason he still acts like my best friend when he see's me is because he hopes I will bring back my custom to him he's only after the money and i am well none in my area for what I do so a lot of people still ask me who is the best vet is to see and I tell them the truth everytime. I will never forgive him for what he's done to her and still step over the door step 15 yrs later still thinking she a sleep there only to find she not anymore. And his mistakes go on and on as more and more people keep telling me what he did wrong and ask me were is their a better vet.

About 90% of all collies and labs suffer with this condition even at a young age it is not that uncommon anymore so make sure this is not being over looked a blood test can tell if she has it or not. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion either I hope for her sake it's just something like a sprain but anything to do with the joints should not be over looked. My uncles lab showed no signs of it and just sat down at a stream one day and just couldn,t get back up it tuck my uncle two days to find him and then discover he had to be pts.

I hope she will be ok and I'll keep her in my thoughts but if the vet has brought her work home with her then I think a hard working vet like her should get to the bottom of it.

I wish you all the best and lets know how you get on.

Advertisement