Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for Illustration work

Options
  • 22-07-2008 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am not a commercial artist, but I've been offered some illustration work for a book - simple ink drawings that would take between 1 and 3 hours each probably.

I have been asked to propose a fee for the first job - 20 illustrations in all. What sort of price would I charge for this? Would it be usual to quote on an hourly basis?

I've been offered the work on the basis of a portfolio of drawings I've kept over the last 5 years or so.. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Maybe put in a request for a similar quota of work to a company to see what they would charge you? That might give you a ball park figure to go on. Other than that check out what the hourly rate is for an illustrator in general and calculate the hours x rate?

You should probably also keep in mind any changes that might be required by the client and how many hours these changes will take as well I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

The trick is confidence... I did a brochure design for a company a while back and it was also my first go at it. I kinda messed it up on the invoice because I just threw out a random figure of 410 euro (and that wasn't even the whole thing - just the digital illustrations) and now im not sure if it was too much or too little. Be aggressive and don't let this just be a great experience but try and practice your business acumen also. What I did was, agree on a fixed quote at 300 euro. Which was estimated at 10 euro for a certain number of hours.

However, I ended up doing around 3 drafts and had many more hours clocked so I charged extra accordingly. What you should do is clock the hours you work maybe and charge that way, then add in a few bob for material expenses and the fact that they are paying for a raw skill and essentially, a service. Most important of all, deliver the goods! You can't charge well if you haven't succeeded in the initial task, so get cracking first. Keep tabs with the client and maintain professionalism, this is how we get started!.. word of mouth is faster then the speed of light. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, I would love to do a few illustrations jobs, im studying graphic design but I don't know where to find people that want work done. Do you know any known ways of attracting attention or viable resources? Or is it just all, I know a guy who is a guy who draws as a guy?

www.flickr.com/phelander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Justine B

Thanks for your reply....

In this case it was 'I know a guy who knows a guy'. The work is for a book and slideshow presentation about workplace culture, so it isn't super artistic but there's room for some creativity!

I heard about it through a friend who used to do illustration. I will ask her how you normally get work in this sort of area and let you know if she has any ideas or contacts. I have been in Ireland only 2 years and this is my first attempt at this sort of work so I don't have many contacts yet.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You say between 1-3 hours a drawing, is that a safe estimate, or off the top of your head?

I'd suggest working out ab hourly rate. €20-30 per hour would be reasonable, given you're not a professional.

So, 3 Hours per Drawing
    x 20 Drawings
    = 60 hours

Lets add in an extra 5 hours for tweak & changes because there will always be some.

So:

At €20 ph that would be 1300
    At €30 ph that would be 1950

Hopefully that'll give you a starting point. Adjust as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

p wrote: »
    At €20 ph that would be 1300
    At €30 ph that would be 1950

1950 euro? For a drawing? Thats the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen. You obviously are taking the piss... Just No.

Oh, and cheers Justine for the reply, I would much appreciate some illustration work again. Im procrastinating setting up my website atm :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

TiM_rEAPeR wrote: »
    1950 euro? For a drawing? Thats the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen. You obviously are taking the piss... Just No.

How did you work that out?? The op is referring to 60hrs of work for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

TiM_rEAPeR wrote: »

"At €30 ph that would be 1950" for 20 illustrations

This seems reasonable to me. Never undervalue your work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I d have to agree 2 grand for 20 illustrations doesnt seem like that much. Pending on who its for detail in each , suppose.
    Might anyone be able to tell me how to get illustrator adobe and photoshop. did the 30 day trail thing and while its good to get back to basics it really did improve and develop my folio. Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

JulesInKy wrote: »
    "At €30 ph that would be 1950" for 20 illustrations

This seems reasonable to me. Never undervalue your work!

I agree. That price seems fair enough. They client needn't know it's your first big illustration job. Besides if your work is good then what difference does it make?

Also, a lot of people get work through 'I know a guy who knows a guy' even if there are well established freelancers.

One thing I would say it that you should be prepared for the client to try and get your price down. A lot of people don't see the value in paying for good quality illustration/design especially if they are used to clipart etc.

If you are prepared to negotiate price pick a lowest price and stick to it. As JulesInKy said, don't undervalue your work.

Good luck.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    I d have to agree 2 grand for 20 illustrations doesnt seem like that much. Pending on who its for detail in each , suppose.
    Might anyone be able to tell me how to get illustrator adobe and photoshop. did the 30 day trail thing and while its good to get back to basics it really did improve and develop my folio. Thanks ;)
    Ermm.... buy it?

If you're a student or know one, you can get a student version very cheap, and if you're not, then take a loan and pay it back. If you're doing professional work, then it will pay for itself.

• Advertisement

In process of building a studio so streched when it comes to investing funds. Thought maybe some sly way of downloading it or ripping it. Know a couple of students so chat to em. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You won't get any advice on "sly ways" here, so I'd drop the subject if I were you.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    In process of building a studio so streched when it comes to investing funds. Thought maybe some sly way of downloading it or ripping it. Know a couple of students so chat to em. Cheers!
    If you're setting up a studio, then consider it an investment, just the same as a PC, rent, or broadband.

It'll be written off as an expense anyway, so you won't pay tax on it. Just get a loan and pay it back over the year. If you're starting a business, best to start it on the right foot.

I bloody wish - not that kinda studio more of attic conversion for all my stuff sanctuary and somewhere to create beautiful things - But get the piont -Buy It!! :)

Advertisement