Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Chess League **** With Fixture list ****

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

boards.ie round 13 - TirEoghain 1 - 0 BossArky

boards.ie round 21 - BossArky 0 - 1 Catch22ie

I'm resigning in both. You guys have me beat and I need to study. Good games :pac: Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Good game.

Two games presently available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

ZorbaTehZ 1 - 0 Green Athene
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Round 22

Pherekydes 0-1 TirEoghain

Well played.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Round 22[/]

Pherekydes 0-1 TirEoghain

Well played.

Good game. Thanks.

3 slots available now.
    I'll get a better look tomorrow to see who all I still have to play yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

Bubs 101 bt Suder (daiz666)

Its almost tragic how I let that one slip, it really was a tough game and deserved a better ending!!

Well done!

Suder (daiz666) bt BossArky

Round 16

It was all in the balance there until i got a bit of momentum. Good game thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Suder wrote: »
    Bubs 101 bt Suder (daiz666)

Its almost tragic how I let that one slip, it really was a tough game and deserved a better ending!!

Yeah, that was a great game and I was almost sad you didn't notice the rook behind the king. I'm fairly confident that because your knight was kind of trapped and you had to devote your rook to maintaining the position of your pawn that I would have won but it certainly wasn't a guaranteed win by any stretch of the imagination

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a great game and I was almost sad you didn't notice the rook behind the king. I'm fairly confident that because your knight was kind of trapped and you had to devote your rook to maintaining the position of your pawn that I would have won but it certainly wasn't a guaranteed win by any stretch of the imagination

Yea it definitely felt like you had the upper hand to be honest. I was enjoying the brain work though until I threw it away in a moment of madness!
    Damn those late night moves!!

Tir Eogain 1 - 0 Nummnuts

Round 10

Good game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

TirEoghain 1-0 Jasperov

Decided to resign as I figured you weren't going to give me stalemate so well done. Going to challenge you again as I enjoyed the game, if you don't want to play just bin it :)

Thank you. Good game indeed. I'm a real stickler when it comes to stalemates too, I'll always play for one, and try hard not to give one away.

Rack em up there, and we'll give it another bash. I have plenty of free slots.

ZTZ 1 - 0 Seanob

Cheers.

ZTZ 1 - 0 Wile E Coyote.

No move in 3.5 weeks, i have his queen and a 2 piece advantage, so I'm claiming a win.

Suder (daiz666) bt DmanDmythDledge

Round 26

I reckon a checkmate that illustrates the ultimate flaw of correspondance chess, when you take too long between moves, you forget what was going on. I get the distinct impression that if you were sitting across from me in rapidplay you would destroy me!

That was a great game. Every time I thought I was onto something you proved me wrong with a strong move, it was definitely in the balance and anyones for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Was a great game alright, think it was heading for a draw before my mistake!

Now all I have to do is win all my games, cue failure.

Just out of interest, if I lose at least one more and Suder and Dman win the rest what tie breaker to people want for the 1st place. Tie breaker with reverse colors? Can't think a way of seperating the potential 3 way tie seeing as we have all beaten each other once.

Edit: Forgot about Sherifu as I haven't played him. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rock Paper Scissors?

Or a game of the Fritzl maze, I'm easy going

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, if I lose at least one more and Suder and Dman win the rest what tie breaker to people want for the 1st place. Tie breaker with reverse colors? Can't think a way of seperating the potential 3 way tie seeing as we have all beaten each other once.

Edit: Forgot about Sherifu as I haven't played him. Any suggestions?
    Go with another mini league- play each other as black and white.

I wouldnt even consider that i'll go the rest of the way with wins but if I did Id be happy with "joint top" of the league!! :D
    The thought of playing the three of you guys again brings a certain amount of excitement and dread!! :D

I have exams for the next three weeks, so I will have to postpone all games till they're over.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I have exams for the next three weeks, so I will have to postpone all games till they're over.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll hold off on skulling you. :pac:

Good luck in the exams.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Anyone else more or less finished with their games?

I'm into my last one with Xavi.

I need to post up the full list of my results as some of them seemed to have slipped through the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

don't think this got reported...

Round 26
    figs 1 - 0 ZTZ

Have requested a match with falloffgirl for past few weeks... Is she about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭falloffgirl

figs wrote: »
    don't think this got reported...
    Have requested a match with falloffgirl for past few weeks... Is she about?

Yeah sorry I've been too busy to take on more games right now. Give me another 2 weeks and I should be able to take on a few more. Should have mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I'm available for games again. Challenges welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

BossArky wrote: »
    Anyone else more or less finished with their games?

Just waiting for Sherifu to challenge me for round 26 and that'll be my final round... all other rounds played (and mostly lost).

I am certainly going to lose one of three games I've got going now where I'm playing atrociously. Don't know what happened

• Advertisement

I am certainly going to lose one of three games I've got going now where I'm playing atrociously. Don't know what happened
    I just resigned in a game there. Looks like nobody wants to win the league...:pac:

Sherifu -bt- Rashers. Round 26

What a game! Talk about blitz!!:eek:

I really enjoyed that one Sherifu. I wanted to catch you with my Queen and Bishop but you were way ahead of me. I couldn't get the positions I wanted, and then you dealt the death blow.

Well played, and thank you for a very enjoyable game.:)

Enjoyed that one too.
    I think you may have been guilty of focusing too much on your own plans instead of watching the danger. Happens to us all. :)

Thanks for the game man.
    And that concludes your league games. How did you get finished so fast? Think i'm only half way through. :(

I'm enjoying this league though I must say. Fair play to Bubs101 for organising it.

I'm an old geezer with time to spare so I'm able to make several moves a day, that's how I got through the games so fast.

I agree.... full credit to Bubs101 for organising this league. Well done Bubs101.

I hope I'm invited to the next one. :)

Pherekedes and figs deserve alot of credit too for sorting out a league table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

All credit to Pherkydes really. He sorted out a version that can be viewed by all, and more importantly, has kept it up to date! That's a task in itself!

I've been a bit slack posting my results lately so apologies for that. Anyway can't remember which of my results have been posted or not so better go through all the games not updated in the first post of the thread:

Round 2: 1-0 vs Catch22
    Round 8: 1-0 vs Popinjay
    Round 9: 1-0 vs Broxi Bear Eire
    Round 10: 1-0 vs Rob Burke
    Round 12: 1-0 vs Figs
    Round 13: just challenged monkeyfudge
    Round 14: 1-0 vs Studiorat
    Round 15: vs Sherifu not completed yet
    Round 17: vs random chatbox not completed yet but will probably skull the game soon
    Round 18: 1-0 vs falloffgirl
    Round 19: 1-0 vs ZTZ
    Round 20: 1-0 vs Wile E Coyote
    Round 21: 1-0 vs nummnuts
    Round 22: 1-0 vs henbane
    Round 23: just challenged TirEoghain
    Round 25: 1-0 vs Xavi
    Round 26: 0-1 vs Suder
    Round 27: just challenged telecaster
    Round 28: just challenged theboytaylor
    Round 29: 0-1 vs Dave147

So that leaves me with 21/23 with 6 games left to play. However noticed that I lost a game to jamesgt- did he replace anyone who dropped out of the league?

All credit goes to bubs for getting the forum back to life. There's a fair few chess players on boards and a few fair ones, too. :)

Regarding the table, it's not a lot of work once the cross table and associated formulas were set up. Which brings me to the cross table: have a look at it and check your own results. See what's missing, then post the missing results.

How to read it:

In the row beside your name, the 1's mean you won with white and the zeroes mean you lost with white.

In the columns under your name (and apologies for the ****e formatting) a 0 means you won with black and a 1 means you lost with black. Got it? :pac:

The formulas (not displayed) sum the 1's in the rows and the zeroes in the columns and another formula adds the two together, and hey presto, you have your total points won. The standings table picks up the results and I can sort it and publish it as a HTML file by clicking a button (which runs a macro). So, you can see once it's set up it's easy to update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭falloffgirl

Ok thanks for that... found what was missing.

falloffgirl 1 - 0 Bossarky round 8
    falloffgirl 1 - 0 theboytaylor round 12

Round 24

Pherekydes 1-0 Xavi6

Interesting game. It was a bit of a booboo on my part with the queen, but once you skewered it with the bishop I saw I had a forced win. I was sloppy in the end. I didn't need to take your queen.

• Advertisement

Round 27
    DmanDmythDledge 1-0 telecaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

However noticed that I lost a game to jamesgt- did he replace anyone who dropped out of the league?

I'm playing jamesgt too - I think he is a non league person though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I also played Jamesgt, managed to scrape a win against him though, good player. If anyone has yet to play me, please challenge me, think I only have one or two left.

Still waiting on falloffgirl anyway.

Dave147 wrote: »
    I also played Jamesgt...

So have I. Is he a boardsie? He seems about similar strength to our top five or six. I see he's beaten Dmyth but lost to rashers (well done rashers). He seems to have challenged every player in our league.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So have I. Is he a boardsie? He seems about similar strength to our top five or six. I see he's beaten Dmyth but lost to rashers (well done rashers). He seems to have challenged every player in our league.

I don't think he's a bordsie, though he's from Dublin. He's currenly playing BossArky and it looks like a game that's going to have an interesting end.

It can be seen here.

Seasons greetings to all!!

Im off to the chilly basque country tomorrow until the 8th of Jan, not sure about internet access so please dont skull me.

2 results to report

Bubs101 1-0 Green Athene

Bubs101 1-0 Catch22.ie

Catch 22 has every right to be agrieved. He played some great chess, was very much ahead when he just made the wrong move based on a complicated double use of a queen. His rating is a disservice to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

jamesqt here

Yeah I may of caused some confusion on you's are very, very well run league. Thanks for the games guys, had some good matches against a good few of you's!

Yeah I became a boardsie fairly recently...on RHP a good while and 2 days after suscribing to the site I was looking for people to challenge and I found you good people..didn't mean to interrupt, it was just a bit easier to challenge names on this list than finding random people to challenge : )

I'll put my name on the player list to join your next league if I can and if anyone would like to challenge me!

Hope you's all had a good Christmas and Happy new year to all!

• Advertisement

Welcome along :)

Advertisement