Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO round zero??

Options
  • 22-07-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Just wondering what round zero is??

It says that it's where they offer places to people who are not awaiting results of examinations...

I did the lc last year and now applied to the CAO for a course..Might i be offered a course on the 2nd august now that they know my results??

Any thoughts/advice/info is much appreciated...!

Comments

Mature students mostly. Could be wrong but I think all so-called 'non-traditional' applicants find out in Round 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Myth wrote: »
    Mature students mostly. Could be wrong but I think all so-called 'non-traditional' applicants find out in Round 0.

Pretty Much..... In essence it is Direct Applicants to courses or deferred acceptances etc. In a small number of cases there is a place reserved for you on a course as well. The numbers are usually quote low given the general uniqueness of the applicants.

Round 1 is the traditional lottery system.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Applicants applying on the basis of Leaving Cert examinations only are issued thier offers on August 18th this year.

Round A (July 3) and Round 0 (August 1) offers are for Mature Applicants, Deferred Place Applicants and some FETAC applicants.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

CAOMAN wrote: »
    Applicants applying on the basis of Leaving Cert examinations only are issued thier offers on August 18th this year.

Round A (July 3) and Round 0 (August 1) offers are for Mature Applicants, Deferred Place Applicants and some FETAC applicants.

Hope this helps

You deserve that username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hope this helps

Ooh I learned something new!! I never knew there was a "Round 0"
    Thanks for explaining that!

Do you work for the CAO, btw? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

This is a Q for CAOMAN:

I did my LC in June 2007 (last year) so obviously I have my results etc. I applied through CAO this year, all my courses were restricted and required a portfolio, so I submitted one and got all the points and requirements I needed for my course etc. so should I be (all going well!!) offered a place in round zero or round one?

Also, second Question! :) (sorry!!)
    I did a portfolio course which was a FETAC course, but I dropped out of the course early because I had finished the portfolio and I didn't need the FETAC degree as my Leaving Cert points were enough, but when I was filling out my CAO, I was told by one of the teachers there that I had to include that I was doing a FETAC course even though I wasn't planning on getting the degree or using any points or anything. Does this sound right to you?:confused:

I'm kind of worried that I submitted false information on my application because I didn't actually do the FETAC and they will discard my application!:eek:.... HELP!!!:(

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

CAOMAN,

Did I get my course after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

after what?

CAOMAN : Where do babies come from?

This is a Q for CAOMAN:

I did my LC in June 2007 (last year) so obviously I have my results etc. I applied through CAO this year, all my courses were restricted and required a portfolio, so I submitted one and got all the points and requirements I needed for my course etc. so should I be (all going well!!) offered a place in round zero or round one?

Each year is a new applicaiton process.
    Offers for applicants based on leaving cert examinations (with or without portfolio) are made on August 18th

Also, second Question! :) (sorry!!)
    I did a portfolio course which was a FETAC course, but I dropped out of the course early because I had finished the portfolio and I didn't need the FETAC degree as my Leaving Cert points were enough, but when I was filling out my CAO, I was told by one of the teachers there that I had to include that I was doing a FETAC course even though I wasn't planning on getting the degree or using any points or anything. Does this sound right to you?:confused:

This is o.k.

Although if you are applying for NCAD, they do make a distiction between applicants presenting Leaving cert only and applicants presenting their portfolio following a FETAC course.

I'm kind of worried that I submitted false information on my application because I didn't actually do the FETAC and they will discard my application!:eek:.... HELP!!!:(

No they won't. If will be considered on the information supplied.

You should submit your questions directly to me via the CAO website under 'Contact us'

I do not look at these boards on a daily basis but e-mails to CAO are answered on a daily basis.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Ooh I learned something new!! I never knew there was a "Round 0"
    Thanks for explaining that!

Do you work for the CAO, btw? :P

I thought that was kinda obvious - YES
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I thought that was kinda obvious - YES
    :)

Well....you might have just been a man with the initials CAO :D

I actually have a question for CAOMAN. Why don't we put in our exam number when filling out the CAO? Obviously I'm not trying to criticise the way the system works or anything, as I know very litte, but I just thought it would have been easier for the CAO folk if we filled in our exam number when applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Hi all,

I recieved my round zero offer today for my second choice on the results of my FETAC, even though my leaving points are higher...
    I e-mailed CAO and they said accepting this course won't hurt my chances of getting something in the next round.

But surely if I accept this course I'm outta the game :confused:
    I've only got till friday and I'm really confused, I want my first choice more (lol obviously) but I'm afraid not to accept this one....
    Any help greatly appriciated and I may actually sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Louise~ wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recieved my round zero offer today for my second choice on the results of my FETAC, even though my leaving points are higher...
    I e-mailed CAO and they said accepting this course won't hurt my chances of getting something in the next round.

But surely if I accept this course I'm outta the game :confused:
    I've only got till friday and I'm really confused, I want my first choice more (lol obviously) but I'm afraid not to accept this one....
    Any help greatly appriciated and I may actually sleep tonight!

you are DEFINITELY NOT out of the game if you accept this offer. cao will ALWAYS offer you a higher choice if you have the points in a later round

ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Marysue

im confused??
    if people who got enough points on there portfolio so that NCAD wanted them and they only accept on the 18th! what about the people who are on the waiting list, when do they get told????and if NCAD is top of your list and you dont get offered it on round 1 and accept what you get offered next will you be considered if more places are available???
    Please help! thanks

pathway33 wrote: »
    you are DEFINITELY NOT out of the game if you accept this offer. cao will ALWAYS offer you a higher choice if you have the points in a later round

ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT

Okay I'm being so maticulous about this, just to claify I can accept this and then accept a different one later. Yes?

And thanks so much for your reply I really really appriciate it! :D

Okay I'm being so maticulous about this, just to claify I can accept this and then accept a different one later. Yes?

And thanks so much for your reply I really really appriciate it! :D

yes u can accept this offer before friday the 8th august 2008 :) and then accept the offer you get at 6am on 18th august 2008 :) and that's how it works

You've made my day pathway! :) Thanks for imparting your wisdom on an extremely rattled student!

Marysue wrote: »
    im confused??
    if people who got enough points on there portfolio so that NCAD wanted them and they only accept on the 18th! what about the people who are on the waiting list, when do they get told????and if NCAD is top of your list and you dont get offered it on round 1 and accept what you get offered next will you be considered if more places are available???
    Please help! thanks

if you are on the waiting list i guess you get told in round 2 which is 6am 29th august unless the quota is not filled in round 1 in which case the waiting list will be chosen from the top down i guess.

yep if you accept a lower choice in round 1 and a higher choice becomes available in round 2 then you get offered the higher choice in round 2

• Advertisement

You've made my day pathway! :) Thanks for imparting your wisdom on an extremely rattled student!

hope the course you accept wont be looking for a non-refundable deposit next week now. maybe you should drag it out till thursday to accept ONLINE so they dont have time to send you the bill before the 18th haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Smokie09

I got 8 distintions and a merit in FETAC, I was offered my first choice at DCU on Friday. Dont no it that helped. ha ha.:D:confused: I dont remember the question?

Advertisement