Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with upc router settings dns etc

Options
  • 22-07-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi
    i'm at my wits end with upc, i'm in limerick and apart from my 20mb ? connection down to 3mb last night i'm constantly getting cut off (d/ls slowing down to 0kbs then reseting). i've tried plugging straight into the cable modem without any difference. i was downloading a 650mb file overnight and it kept resetting and i eventually d/l 10gb without getting the file. my young fella can't play games, i can't d/l and i need to know if anyone else has had these problems and knows the correct router settings, dns and such. i have the ports forwarded correctly. i've checked on sites such as "what is my ip" and all the ports tests have failed because of timeouts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

expatoz wrote: »
    hi
    i have the ports forwarded correctly.

where do you do that? I don't recall doing anything like that with UPC on my router?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

go to control panel>network connections, right click on lan and click properties, scroll down and select tcp/ip and click properties
    make sure its set to obtain ip and dns automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

thanks, but i've checked all those settings, its got something to do with upc cos my bt account hasn't been disconnected yet and i can swap over to them and everything works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

expatoz wrote: »
    thanks, but i've checked all those settings, its got something to do with upc cos my bt account hasn't been disconnected yet and i can swap over to them and everything works perfectly
    As long as the cable router is plugged into the working modem, with a working connection, set the DNS to auto and it will automatically seek the correct DNS servers from the modem. This is also true of the External IP. If you're given a choice to auto seek it or to use a static, set it to auto. Your modem will feed all the data to the router.

As for your service speeds and outages, get UPC to sort it, assuming your router is not at fault (since you did say going directly through the modem made no difference). Persistently tell them to get someone out to fix the problem, that it is clearly their fault. Don't let them charge you a penny extra, and don't stop until they take the correct action and the problem is resolved. If they don't budge at first, they'll eventually get sick of you, and then co-operate. Otherwise, you could always threaten going to some consumer body and complain.

Advertisement