Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pmr and hf built in one

• 22-07-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if theres a radio out there that has full rx capabilities say 0.5-900mhz but also has tx on 144, 433, and 446 with the ctcss
    I tought a yaseu vx 7 had but ive been barking up the wrong tree with that.
    im thinking of retiring the vx 2 and this would seem the next logical step however no unit I can find does this.
    anyone able to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Look at maplins ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Are u for real s==t sells but I dont buy it,, sorry if that sounds aggresive but id sooner buy gary o hanlons stock all out ( gary is my god ) than buy from there,
    ive been doing some more research and ive been getting conflicting reports from various sites that the vx7 does tx up to 470 from 430 but nothing in plain speak that this is gospel from what i can make out it looks like a software upgrade or a slight hardware mod (u know the usual desolder a cable ) maybe I will hit a shop and try and get them to prove it in front of me if Ill put it up but I think that will be the next big thing why have so many licenced bands and not the free ones? should have been done a long time ago if u ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any rig that can do other than PMR446 is illegal for PMR446.

I have three rigs that do Amateur bands and could do PMR446. But it's illegal. I have a pair of PMR446 with CE mark. That's the only legal solution for transmit. You may use the HF/VHF/UHF "Amateur rig" to Listen on PMR446 in Ireland, though in UK, you may only listen even on PMR446 with a PMR446, even a Scanner on 446 is technically illegal in UK (mad).

Same issue with CB. Only an ETSI approved CB 4W FM/SSB and 1W AM is allowed. A "Ham" rig tuned to CB channels is only legal for listening. I have a Jeckell and Hyde CB rig I modified to drive a 144MHz and 430Mhz pair of transverters for SSB. I've talked from Limerick to Wales on 144.3MHz using 5W SSB with it. It does 25.6MHz to 29.5MHz now. It can be legally used for 28.0 to 29.7MHz Band (The missing 200khz sadly includes the 10m Repeater segment), but not any longer as a legal CB even though it still only does 4W. Break the CB or PMR rules and they will take away the "Wireless Experimenter Licence" as it is Using Your Station outside of the scheduled bands without permission. Using a CB modified for 10m or a PMR446 modified for 70cm in licensed bands with a licence is quite legal. But MODIFIED gear automatically is illegal on CB or PMR bands. The LPD channels is an interesting exception :)

In any case Maplins in not the place to look.

Waters & Stanton, ML Lynch, South East Communictions Ireland, Wimo Germany, Classic Radio International Netherlands, JimBob Tradining (JBT) in Limavady N.I.

But you are on your own or outside territorial waters if you break the law on use of transmitters. For some reason Governments take it more seriously than carrying a knife or getting drunk.

The Yaesu VR500 I have is good for listening to PMR446, CB, Amateur, Marine and Air. The Uniden UK 80 ch Bearcat I have is better for 137MHz weather map reception.

The IC2800 50W/35W dual band VHF/UHF Mobile rig is good for listening to Marine or PMR446.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Ive been getting conflicting reports from various sites that the vx7 does tx up to 470 from 430 but nothing in plain speak that this is gospel from what i can make out it looks like a software upgrade or a slight hardware mod (u know the usual desolder a cable ) maybe I will hit a shop and try and get them to prove it in front of me if Ill put it up but I think that will be the next big thing why have so many licenced bands and not the free ones? should have been done a long time ago if u ask me

Because
    1) You can damage the finals.
    2) It's illegal.

Real PMR446's are also only allowed 500mW.

You CAN legally use the VX7R on 433MHz LPD 10mW walkie talkie channels (a Midland has these and PMR446 500mW), at full 5W if you have a licence. Or indeed 50W mobile (Mwhahahah teach them to use OUR band) or 400W fixed I think (not sure as 70cm band split to have two power ratings...)

433MHz Operation at 50W mobile does things to Car Alarm/locks/Cordless weather stations and 2.4GHz Video senders. Stupidity sticking SRDs into middle of Ham band. Regulators in Europe sleeping that day as where the Radio Clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

a yaesu 857D with about 15mins soldering gives you "access ALL areas" lol.

handheld export radios from UK usually have expaned transcieve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This thread is only going places it shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

I agree i only asked if one was available not about the legalities of it in Ireland as it wouldnt be used or purchased here that makes no odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    I agree i only asked if one was available not about the legalities of it in Ireland as it wouldnt be used or purchased here that makes no odds

+1 to the two of ye...lets not get our knickers in a twist

Advertisement