Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing Track Question

• 22-07-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I'm just watching 'The Doctors Daughter' and it's something I've noticed in other eps they play the theme tune for Hitchhikers Guide.

Is there a reason for this or is just a happy coinsidence?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

trishw78 wrote: »
    I'm just watching 'The Doctors Daughter' and it's something I've noticed in other eps they play the theme tune for Hitchhikers Guide.

Is there a reason for this or is just a happy coinsidence?

If they do it's probably on purpose.

Douglas Adams wrote for Doctor Who in his youth and there has already been some blatant references (about Arthur Dent being a lovely man!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was thinking that there would be some obvious reason. It looks like we haven't been told about it yet.

I was thinking that there would be some obvious reason. It looks like we haven't been told about it yet.

They do it all the time in Doctor Who. In the old series there were several references to Quatermass (a series of English movies which are often considered a major influence on Doctor Who).

The organistation Quatermass worked for is name checked in the new series even, they're the body that put the space probe out that the Sycorax found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was never a fan of the pre-Christopher Ecclecton Doctor. So alot of that information is new to me. Thanks

I never like the aliens cause they looked so fake

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I never like the aliens cause they looked so fake
    Sometimes they still do - see "Turn Left" ;)

There's lots of stuff to enjoy though in the old series, once you get over the 5 penny budget. Don't write it off purely for aesthetics!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Sometimes they still do - see "Turn Left" ;)

There's lots of stuff to enjoy though in the old series, once you get over the 5 penny budget. Don't write it off purely for aesthetics!

I just got City of Death, tying in nice to Douglas Adams, a truly enjoyable romp so it is!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SDooM wrote: »
    I just got City of Death, tying in nice to Douglas Adams, a truly enjoyable romp so it is!
    Plus Basil Fawlty!

ixoy wrote: »
    Plus Basil Fawlty!

I imagine, considering how big both Dr Who and Monty Python/ Fawlty Towers were at the time, it must have been some big thing to have the two of them interact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

SDooM wrote: »

The organistation Quatermass worked for is name checked in the new series even, they're the body that put the space probe out that the Sycorax found.

British Rocket Group was also the web address for the Torchwood Website in the run up to the launch of the first season. when you clicked enter it was restricted by order of Torchwood!!!

I like stuff like that.

British Rocket Group was also the web address for the Torchwood Website in the run up to the launch of the first season. when you clicked enter it was restricted by order of Torchwood!!!

I like stuff like that.

Me too, it really brings out the nerd in me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement