Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats are these games ?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I used to play these game ages ago, maybe 10 years ago but I've forgotten the names , anyone have any idea what these were ?

First one , graphically it was very very primitive, just lines basically, you are a spaceship and your method of control is thrust, you are always falling towards the ground and you have to give yourself thrust boosts all the time, the aim of the game was to pick something up, can't remember what it was, but you had like a tractor ray you would pick this thing up with, it would trail behind you attached by a line and you had to get it to a certain point, the earlier levels were very easy but as you progressed the object would be in harder to reach places, like underground or the like.

The second one was also graphically very primitive, it was a bit like oh mummy, you had to go through all points on a grid while a sprite chased you, the grid would get more complex as you completed levels, it was very very fast and you needed really good reflexes ?

any ideas ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MooseJam wrote: »
    First one , graphically it was very very primitive, just lines basically, you are a spaceship and your method of control is thrust, you are always falling towards the ground and you have to give yourself thrust boosts all the time, the aim of the game was to pick something up, can't remember what it was, but you had like a tractor ray you would pick this thing up with, it would trail behind you attached by a line and you had to get it to a certain point, the earlier levels were very easy but as you progressed the object would be in harder to reach places, like underground or the like.

Kind of reminds me of when Homer is trying to describe the film Speed :)

The name of the game is Thrust and a damn fine one it was too. Either that or it's a thrust clone. No idea of the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Is the first game Gravitar, by any chance ? Very like Thrust, but I think the graphics were much simpler ...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8000

No idea what the second game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First game definitely sounds like Thrust/Gravitar...

No idea on on the second one. What platform was it on? Arcade? C64? Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

damn it... you've reminded me of a game I played around 2001 that had the same dynamic as Thrust but had much better graphics. It was a free opensource game if I remember, it wasn't Xpilot, had a name something like TOU or XOU or ZOU... dammit I can't find anything on it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Mr E wrote: »
    First game definitely sounds like Thrust/Gravitar...

No idea on on the second one. What platform was it on? Arcade? C64? Something else?

they were both on pc, thrust might be the first one /runs off to look it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

haha yeah defo thrust ah the memories, i'll have to see can I download it it was pretty damn cool, thx retro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a link to a windows version on the games wiki, might be worth checking out. I played it recently and it's still a wonderful timeless game other than the dreadful graphics. I remember getting it for free on a Commodore Format cover tape, those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

...and if his SPEED dropped below fifty, they would all die. I think it was called 'The bus that couldn't slow down'. On a more serious note though there were millons of clones of Thrust so you may have played one of those.

Advertisement